User Tag List

Thread: What Brake Pads for Campy Bora WTO Wheels?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default What Brake Pads for Campy Bora WTO Wheels?

I've been using Campy Red brake pads with my Bora WTOs (we're talking rim brakes here, folks).

I think it's time for me to swap in a new pair of pads for the season. Are those pads still the hot setup? Anyone tried other brands?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: What Brake Pads for Campy Bora WTO Wheels?

Quote Originally Posted by 9tubes View Post
    I've been using Campy Red brake pads with my Bora WTOs (we're talking rim brakes here, folks).

I think it's time for me to swap in a new pair of pads for the season. Are those pads still the hot setup? Anyone tried other brands?
    Nothing better. I use Campy red pads with all carbon wheels these days.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just got a set up rim brake WTO's (33's) and I found the red pads a bit of a tight fit in the caliper. They seem to be a subtley different shape to the original black rubber pads that come as standard and the cutouts are different on the back as well. Anyone else experienced that or did I get a mismatched set? The calipers I'm using are the latest Chorus ones (came with a 12sp groupset).
    Instagram: rellonchris

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
    I just got a set up rim brake WTO's (33's) and I found the red pads a bit of a tight fit in the caliper. They seem to be a subtley different shape to the original black rubber pads that come as standard and the cutouts are different on the back as well. Anyone else experienced that or did I get a mismatched set? The calipers I'm using are the latest Chorus ones (came with a 12sp groupset).
    There are some differences. This is a chart from 2019. I couldn't find a more recent one, but there may be one around.

https://www.campagnolo.com/media/fil...01_07_2019.pdf
    Last edited by j44ke; 4 Weeks Ago at 12:25 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
    How different are the cutouts? Different enough to have been sent Shimano versions, or just not quite identical to the black ones?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RichTheRoadie View Post
    How different are the cutouts? Different enough to have been sent Shimano versions, or just not quite identical to the black ones?
    The Chorus brake is made in Taiwan, and uses Shimano pattern brake pads. This is coyly alluded to in the compatibility chart that Jorn posted.
    Most likely Chrisn has the Campagnolo pattern pads that are supplied with wheels with a Campagnolo freehub, but requires the Shimano pattern for his Chorus brakes.
    David Benson

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by benson View Post
    The Chorus brake is made in Taiwan, and uses Shimano pattern brake pads. This is coyly alluded to in the compatibility chart that Jorn posted.
    Most likely Chrisn has the Campagnolo pattern pads that are supplied with wheels with a Campagnolo freehub, but requires the Shimano pattern for his Chorus brakes.
    Good catch.

And: Wow. I'd read that the Chorus brakes were made by TRP. I thought it was a shame that they weren't the same design as the new Record & SR versions as that already cheapened the Chorus group more than it previously seemed to be, but this seems like a really bizarre move.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, you can sort of see the difference by comparing the "nose" of each of the holders (and thus the pad shape.) Chorus is BR-BO500X1 and Record/SuperRecord are BR-BO500.

Last edited by j44ke; 4 Weeks Ago at 10:24 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks all for the forensic level of work here! I definitely have the Campy red pads. The Chorus brakes work great but given the cost of the red pads on their own, I may buy some Record calipers (on offer at several places in the UK) and use the red Campy pads I have, and then sell the Chorus calipers with their original pads in like new condition.

A couple of other things to note about the Chorus brakes, they also cleared 28mm tyres fine on both my Neo Primato and Road Logic frames, something which is made special mention of only for the Record/Super Record calipers. Ironically I think the Record calipers look more like a TRP design than the Chorus ones which retained the old skeleton look.
    Instagram: rellonchris