User Tag List

Thread: Western NC/Asheville Salonista feedback needed re: bike commute help

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Western NC/Asheville Salonista feedback needed re: bike commute help

Greetings, Asheville/Western NC Salonistas. I'm spending the summer in your neck of the woods for an internship. My housing near the internship in Candler fell through for the time being, but someone's putting me up in Lake Junaluska. Any thoughts on bike commuting around Clyde/Canton/Candler? Here's what the Google genie told me to do:

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=L...&z=11&lci=bike

I scoped out the streetview on a few of the roads, but if anyone has advice about how locals take to riders on these roads, I'd be much obliged.

Also, let's ride.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Western NC/Asheville Salonista feedback needed re: bike commute help

I've not ridden there, but know the area a little (being a lifelong Methodist). It's steeeeep country, and offhand I don't think I'd want to spend any time on 19/23 if I didn't have to. But someone more knowledgeable will chime in directly. It's a beautiful place, though. Enjoy it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Western NC/Asheville Salonista feedback needed re: bike commute help

That route looks as good as any. Just don't expect flat roads, bike lanes, or much in the way of driver courtesy.

Now if you go the other direction from Junaluska, you can actually enjoy your ride.

Musgrave lives in the Candler metro area if I'm not mistaken. Maybe you can live in a tent in his backyard.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the word, y'all. I daydreamed about riding my MTB bside the T-line rr tracks, which go exactly where I need from Junaluska to Candler, but something tells me that may not be the best idea I've ever had.

Ben, the Methodists are my reason for coming to the high country - I'm in divinity school at Duke and coming up for summer field education. My wife and I are members of a Methodist church back in Kentucky right across the road from Shakertown (if you're ever up yonder, it's must-ride country). Not sure where we'll end up. Ned, thanks for the word - would love to ride with any and all salonistas in western NC.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's about how I'd do it. However, I would ride straight thru Canton and then turn Right on Blackwell. You're really not gonna have any trouble on this route. Whenever I ride from Asheville thru Canton to go up 215 (a must ride), that's how I do it. Riding on 19/23 is 4 lanes in some sections and the other sections where it's not, it's slow enough that it's a non-issue.

I'm just coming out of PT and building back up on the bike but will be ready to ride with you soon. I've been wanting to find someone to ride this one with me:
    Up The Creek
    and this one:
    Misgah

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, buddy. Sounds good - you're coming out of PT and I'm coming out of a stressful, get-fat, don't ride kind of semester, so should be no troubles.