Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Well worth watching

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Well worth watching

On the heels of Chase's at what cost post, this, through my own tangled logic, goes one step beyond and into the real meat of the matter.

What do you think?

"It's better to not know so much than to know so many things that ain't so." -- Josh Billings, 1885

A man with any character at all must have enemies and places he is not welcome—in the end we are not only defined by our friends, but also those aligned against us.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Well worth watching

"Our largest problem facing us the de-industrialization of American..." "Our can do American spirit is being lost..."

I don't necessarily agree with everything this guy says, but a lot of it really resonates with me & this short vid is well worth watching + it has moto content! Hat tip to Nelson @ Gita for sending it to me.
    "It's better to not know so much than to know so many things that ain't so." -- Josh Billings, 1885

A man with any character at all must have enemies and places he is not welcome—in the end we are not only defined by our friends, but also those aligned against us.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think he pretty much nailed it. My wife and I frequently discuss the fact that our neighborhood children are growing up in some odd contrived vaccuum created by their suburbanite obsessed parents. I keep threatening to move to the other house (secluded in the middle of the woods) where I can be alone, grumpy, carry firearms around all day if I like and not be reminded of what is happening to society.

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Archibald View Post
    "Our can do American spirit is being lost..."

...when time became money baby atmo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think modern "efficiency" has broken the connection between consumer and constructor. We no longer know who grows our food, who builds our houses, or who fixes our machines. I don't think that this will last forever, though. As energy prices (particularly gas prices) increase over the next 30 years "local" will become more profitable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

... "Our can do American spirit is being lost..."...
    you haven't lost it - you are doing it
    attitude, ingenuity, thirst, responsibility
    how do we make more people like you?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dave1215 View Post
    how do we make more people like you?
    Reward it. Right now, if you manufacture commodity that's even relatively fungible, you're all but guaranteed the opportunity to have to compete with foreign competitors who don't pay their employees shit, aren't restrained in what they do to the environment, benefit from manipulated currencies, and on and on and on.

So, why not internalize those costs via tariffs? For example, determine what reasonable environmental regulations add to the cost of a product, and then tax its import at that rate. I'd even be happy to set a portion of the revenue aside in a sort of escrow to be used to promote environmental controls in the developing world.

Yeah, junk from China would be more expensive. So what? It would also be more affordable to more people, as we re-industrialize and rebuild our middle class.

This isn't an anti-free-trade rant, by the way. Free trade is a marvelous thing. But trade of any kind only yields optimal outcomes when all the costs are realized and accounted for. That's all I'm asking that we do.

Ben (Conservative, Rabidly pro-American manufacturing, BA in Econ back in the 20th Century)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is this thread about this video too.

Please, junk comes from everywhere, including the US of America.

Maybe the culture of the demand end needs some light too, the more consumer do not care / understand how things are made, small differences in processes and intent, the more they head for the lowest bidder.
    Renold Yip
    YiPsan Bicycles

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by YiPsan View Post
    Maybe the culture of the demand end needs some light too, the more consumer do not care / understand how things are made, small differences in processes and intent, the more they head for the lowest bidder.
    BIN-go from where I am sitting. I am trying to counter this by educating two growing girls about what we buy, where we buy it from, and whether we can't be satisfied making some of this ourselves--or even just having less. It's a purchase-by-purchase mission and it's hard to make any headway, but maybe someday they'll be more self-sufficient than their friends and decide Dad was not a total idiot.
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by YiPsan View Post
    There is this thread about this video too.

Please, junk comes from everywhere, including the US of America.

It's not realistic to expect this if easily 25 % of kids in the US face intermittent food shortages. There is a lot of people out there for whom this is no option, and most of the rest is getting snowed by TV ads into believing that 250k household income a year is 'middle class'.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On the heels of Chase's at what cost post, this, through my own tangled logic, goes one step beyond and into the real meat of the matter.

What do you think?

I think he's right about the greater economic forces at work here, but based on this video, would you want to work for this guy? Man.
    Lots of talented people around these parts. I am a college prof at a small liberal arts college and I am very impressed with my students, with very few exceptions. YMMV.

I would contend that our second largest problem is a bunch of pissy old dudes standing in the way of progress. Look at how the more established builders on here (Richard, Dave Kirk, Carl Strong, etc.) encourage the newer builders. This guy's in Philly - you think he wouldn't have 10 solid apprentices if he put some energy into it?