User Tag List

Thread: Well done Trek: Sustainability Report

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Well done Trek: Sustainability Report

Not "well done" because it's necessarily comforting reading, but "well done" for actually doing it in the first place:

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/carbon...ty-report.html

Because of the intrinsic sustainability benefits - correction: non-polluting nature - of cycling as an activity, we sort of 'get away with it' when it comes to this stuff. It's good to see one of the big names get onboard and recognise that bicycles are still mass-produced devices of consumerism and openly share this information; and to talk about how they're trying to get better.

As someone who has just finished a big push on Sustainability within my company, I can relate to what an effort this would have been too. We don't actually produce anything (global creative agency, fundamentally), but the measurements we can do and improvements we can make are massive.

As it says at the end of the article: "Yes, it's going to be easy to pick apart individual practices and stats in this report, but you have to commend Trek for being so open and forthcoming with the data and being one of the brands at the forefront of cleaning up the bike industry."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Well done Trek: Sustainability Report

Their numbers broadly agree with the numbers I came up with when I did this five years ago.

https://www.velocipedesalon.com/foru...tml#post774084

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also, as I understand it, they've been making up the difference on prize money for their women's team, matching amounts at equivalent placements in the men's races, all year long - not just at Paris Roubaix and not just for first place. Any placement that earns money in the men's race, they make up the difference for their women's team.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Kudos to Trek for their ongoing efforts to reduce packaging waste.

And super-duper kudos for being the only "major" bike manufacturer to release a sustainability report.

These initiatives are terrific (and a not-so subtle nudge for all of us):

- Reducing the use of air freight
    - Consolidate shipments to retailers
    - Increase reliance on renewable energy
    - Reduce corporate travel
    - Increase reliance on alternative materials
    - Create zero-landfill manufacturing facilities
    - Establish and protect new trails
    - Remove plastic waste from packaging
    - Increase access to bike share
    - Shift cycling mode share
    Treed Howling, Personal Etymologist

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. James Baldwin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Really cool, thanks for sharing. So a bike equals approximately 10ish to 25ish gallons of gas, right? TBH i am surprised it's not more.
    Kudos to Trek for linking this to concrete action items.

the entire report is here: https://view.publitas.com/trek-bicyc...-report/page/1

Quote Originally Posted by thollandpe View Post
    Kudos to Trek for their ongoing efforts to reduce packaging waste.

And super-duper kudos for being the only "major" bike manufacturer to release a sustainability report.

These initiatives are terrific (and a not-so subtle nudge for all of us):

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JoB View Post
    Really cool, thanks for sharing. So a bike equals approximately 10ish to 25ish gallons of gas, right? TBH i am surprised it's not more.

the entire report is here: https://view.publitas.com/trek-bicyc...-report/page/1
    Hence the push to use bike trips to replace automobile trips. It does not take many miles to offset that carbon footprint and start giving back.

PS Have not looked deep into the Trek report, but for a building's embodied carbon footprint we look at five life cycle stages: production, transportation, maintenance and replacement (oh that might be significant for chronic upgraders), end-of-life (disposal). The other stage is Module D, which includes recycling and energy recovery from incineration. Mod. D is a credit, but usually small in quantity.
    Treed Howling, Personal Etymologist

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. James Baldwin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JoB View Post

Page/slide 30 of the report says the typical Trek bike is offset in 430 miles of riding.

That seems astoundingly good to me. I have a dinky little three mile pedal to my office, and even at that rate if I do it five days a week the bike has been fully offset inside of four months.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah, I just did the same math for myself. and that's just the gas!

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Page/slide 30 of the report says the typical Trek bike is offset in 430 miles of riding.

That seems astoundingly good to me. I have a dinky little three mile pedal to my office, and even at that rate if I do it five days a week the bike has been fully offset inside of four months.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think for the broader case you have to take this with an additional grain of salt as recreational miles far outstrip commuting miles for most riders. I've put about 1200 miles on my new Trek MTB this year. Zero of those miles were in replacement of a car mile.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zachateseverything View Post
    I think for the broader case you have to take this with an additional grain of salt as recreational miles far outstrip commuting miles for most riders. I've put about 1200 miles on my new Trek MTB this year. Zero of those miles were in replacement of a car mile.
    Not exactly to your point, but my favorite commute ever was at an old job where I was able to jump on the local trail system and get spit out behind my office. All bike commutes are good, but dirt-to-work is the best.

The other point worth mentioning that the article omits is that cycling requires very close to zero marginal emissions. Maybe a new tire or a tube is necessary here or there, but I suspect I could ride to my heart's content for the rest of my natural life without buying a new-new bike. No matter how efficient Trek becomes, they'll never beat a used bike that was otherwise neglected.
    Last edited by caleb; 10-13-2021 at 04:06 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not exactly to your point, but my favorite commute ever was at an old job where I was able to jump on the local trail system and get spit out behind my office. All bike commutes are good, but dirt-to-work is the best.
    Except for the cleanliness of the office!

Last edited by sk_tle; 10-13-2021 at 05:06 PM.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The other point worth mentioning that the article omits is that cycling requires very close to zero marginal emissions. Maybe a new tire or a tube is necessary here or there, but I suspect I could ride to my heart's content for the rest of my natural life without buying a new-new bike. No matter how efficient Trek becomes, they'll never beat a used bike that was otherwise neglected.
    you're living the dream!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for calling this out rich. I think it’s great that trek is thinking about this stuff and raise the bar for other companies to follow suit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting.
    More reason to stay away from carbon and ebikes.
    Thumbs up, Trek.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The thing this study makes me think about is if the bike industry will adopt a regional manufacturing model like the auto industry has. Granted bikes are a lot easier to move around than cars but the study clearly points out that the lions share of the impact is transporting the finished good. I do wonder if that's the total impact (factory to consumer) or just the international part of the impact (factory to domestic warehouse). Bicycles are more or less all the same and it wouldn't be hard to set up an assembly plant or two within a given continent to assemble bikes for most of the brands that do business in a given market.

Kind of wish we had the time to do a study like this. We have one vendor outside of our state that requires a round trip and everything else comes into Oregon as a raw material and gets shipped as a finished tool. It feels pretty tight but would be interesting to see the data.