Results 1,601 to 1,620 of 1629

Thread: Welcome. Say hi

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Welcome. Say hi

Welcome NorTX-Dave and all the other new folks joining V. We ain't that bad, stick around.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

..... or a Kirk.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello, not sure how I found you all but my life is better because of it. I'm not the best rider nor the best mechanic but I'm 100% bike dude!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello everyone,

If memory rings true, I found this forum in 2012 with frame building aspirations. I registered with the screen name "fat cat" and subsequently created needless hassle for other members. Sorry for the waste; now I approach this forum from a different angle, intent upon survival, not only for myself, but also for the family, friends, and customers around me, hoping I can make a positive difference. That's all, for now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BryanW View Post
    Hello - native Tennessean, currently I live in central Illinois. I don't race or build frames (it amazes me that y'all do that) so just hear to mainly read the rather civil posts. I am, however, doing the Tour of Flanders Fondo in a couple of months and I'm looking for some advice. That is actually how I found this site - google searching for advice on the fondo.

Bryan
    Where in TN?
    ĎThe Earth is not dying, it is being killed, and those that are killing it have names and addresses-Ď Utah Phillips

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Long-time lurker who learned about VS from "across-the-hall" where unfortunately things have gotten a bit too toxic as of late. I have a ton of respect for the voices on this board and have always checked in from time to time when making decisions on bikes, gear and whatever else. Josh, I've been using NFS for years and even gotten my local shop to stock it where it sells out regularly. I ride a Moots on the road and love Ti bikes even though I used to think ti-bike aficionados were weird-o's back in my carbon bike days. I should qualify that by saying I like ALL bikes and think the more bikes the better. I'm a commercial photographer/ photojournalist by trade and a former newspaper photographer that believes in the power of storytelling and thinks the death of newspapers is one of the most profound losses in the history of American democracy. I'm also unfortunately battling leukemia and was diagnosed about a year ago. I'm currently in remission and I credit cycling with saving my life. I'm scheduled for a bone marrow transplant in a few weeks and my oncologist is optimistic of a full recovery. You can read a little more about my journey with AML here: Bob Croslin's Pack Mentality - Monday Motivation

Anyway, I'll likely lurk over the next few months and I'll try and chime in when I have something of value to add and I think it's amazing that VS exists as a resource for the cycling community.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bcroslin View Post
    Long-time lurker who learned about VS from "across-the-hall" where unfortunately things have gotten a bit too toxic as of late. I have a ton of respect for the voices on this board and have always checked in from time to time when making decisions on bikes, gear and whatever else. Josh, I've been using NFS for years and even gotten my local shop to stock it where it sells out regularly. I ride a Moots on the road and love Ti bikes even though I used to think ti-bike aficionados were weird-o's back in my carbon bike days. I should qualify that by saying I like ALL bikes and think the more bikes the better. I'm a commercial photographer/ photojournalist by trade and a former newspaper photographer that believes in the power of storytelling and thinks the death of newspapers is one of the most profound losses in the history of American democracy. I'm also unfortunately battling leukemia and was diagnosed about a year ago. I'm currently in remission and I credit cycling with saving my life. I'm scheduled for a bone marrow transplant in a few weeks and my oncologist is optimistic of a full recovery. You can read a little more about my journey with AML here: Bob Croslin's Pack Mentality - Monday Motivation

Anyway, I'll likely lurk over the next few months and I'll try and chime in when I have something of value to add and I think it's amazing that VS exists as a resource for the cycling community.
    Bob, thanks for coming out of the shadows! I'm sure you'll have more than your share of value to add, so feel free to chime in frequently. Great to hear about your being in remission, too.
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome, Bob, and thanks for introducing yourself. You'll find that the folks here are friendly, well-informed (on almost any topic!) and civil. Josh and the moderators do a splendid job of keeping the place running smoothly. Best of luck on your medical journey. I think many of us would credit cycling as contributing to our wellness and happiness; I know I sure do.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi!
    I'm Terry, 36 years old and I'm from the Netherlands. I ride my road bikes (a lot) and a mountain bike (rarely). I registered an account here after I noticed some traffic from Velocipedesalon to the site I run (Di2Center.com). For some reason it took me a couple of weeks to reply to a thread and I figured I might as well say hi ;-).

I'll reply to Di2 posts a lot, but will usually not link to Di2Center straight away.. that'd feel spammy rather than actually useful.

Hi!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome, Terry! Glad to have you here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi all -

I didnít realize this thread existed until just now, and thought I would say ďhelloĒ.

I first heard about VSalon from Tony Pereira, who taught a UBI framebuilding course that I took in 2015. He referenced this place when prodded for spots in which to hunt down useful bicycle-making tips. Since then Iíve become an avid-albeit-hack hobbyist builder, and constant lurker in the FrameForum.

Recently Iíve started posting to Friday Night Lights, at the suggestion of another member. Iím very hesitant to place my photos directly below those of the professionals around there, though; I hope I donít lower the bar too far on any given Friday!

I live in Portland, Oregon with my wife and 3-year-old daughter. During the day, I run a one-man graphic and web design shop from a home studio. My evenings are filled with hacksaw slips and mostly-minor oxy/acetylene burns.

Thankful to be (and to have been) ďhereĒ. Talk soon.

-Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome, Chris. As a fellow father of a 3 year old, that strider is sick!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello Velocipede,

My name is Charlie. I'm here at the recommendation of Joe Roggenbuck of Cobra Framebuilding and the "Shut Up and Build Bikes" podcast. I work primarily as a cartographer (graphic design + GIS) at my business-of-one Myers Geography as well as acting as a sales assoc. at the Kansas City Trek Store. My intentions here are to look for inspiration and ideas from folks much more skilled than myself and also to keep myself grounded in a world of unnecessary gimmicks and "innovations." As modest as Chris is just above me, I would love for my brass joins to look like that!

So far I've been diving headfirst into fillet brazing. Just working with a MAP/oxy torch setup has yielded some good learning opportunities, but with how much fun I've been having I plan on acquiring stuff for a O/A setup soon. I plan to post up a progress thread in the appropriate section as I improve.

I'm still getting familiar with the site, but any suggestions on certain threads to check out would be much appreciated! Mostly spending my time in the framebuilders section!

Many thanks!
    Have a good one.
    CHM

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome aboard Charlie!

Quote Originally Posted by MyersGeography View Post
    Hello Velocipede,

My name is Charlie. I'm here at the recommendation of Joe Roggenbuck of Cobra Framebuilding and the "Shut Up and Build Bikes" podcast. I work primarily as a cartographer (graphic design + GIS) at my business-of-one Myers Geography as well as acting as a sales assoc. at the Kansas City Trek Store. My intentions here are to look for inspiration and ideas from folks much more skilled than myself and also to keep myself grounded in a world of unnecessary gimmicks and "innovations." As modest as Chris is just above me, I would love for my brass joins to look like that!

So far I've been diving headfirst into fillet brazing. Just working with a MAP/oxy torch setup has yielded some good learning opportunities, but with how much fun I've been having I plan on acquiring stuff for a O/A setup soon. I plan to post up a progress thread in the appropriate section as I improve.

I'm still getting familiar with the site, but any suggestions on certain threads to check out would be much appreciated! Mostly spending my time in the framebuilders section!

Many thanks!
    Have a good one.
    CHM

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Hello from Florida/New England

I had some trouble getting site access (must be my criminal record). Months later I'm "live". Vintage Italian race bikes and vintage English steel "monsters". 40 years of riding, racing, and crashing. Now trying to get back into racing and also rebuilding/restoring. I'll contribute what I can. Take care all!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Hello from Florida/New England

hello Mr HPL, I feel a little odd saying hello because I do not post much, because the folks here are so knowledgeable and remarkably generous with sharing their time and expertise. I have read a lot here, and one day I hope something comes up on which I know something useful in which case I will chip in. Enjoy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Hello from Florida/New England

Hello everyone! My name is Nick. I'm a cycling enthusiast from Calgary, Alberta, Canada. Similar to Charlie's post (~2 wks ago), I joined this forum on Joe Roggenbuck's recommendation, and have found it quite helpful to date.

Over the last couple years, in addition to riding, I've become more and more interested in the building and maintenance side of bikes. In November, I took Koichi Yamaguchi's frame building course in Rifle, CO, and really enjoyed my time. My intent is to continue to build more frames at home -- not as a business, but as a hobby (as time permits).

Looking forward to the dialogue!

Nick

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome, Nick! And you too, HPL! Great to have you here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    Welcome, Nick! And you too, HPL! Great to have you here.
    Thank you Matthew; I'm on a couple other sites also; hopefully I'll be able to give and gain knowledge here. So far an enjoyable experience.

HPL

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey there, just joining the group ride!

Neal