Results 1,501 to 1,520 of 1629

Thread: Welcome. Say hi

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Welcome. Say hi

Hey y'all. I'm John. I've always wanted to build my own bike frame and it wasn't long before google sent me here. I really appreciate all of the info you've built up here, and I hope to learn more.

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice to see you here John.
    Lotsa' good resources down below on the frame subforum.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi all,

I didn't realize this thread existed, and would have replied to it much sooner. My name is Larry, and I'm an average guy who loves road cycling. I started as a runner, then triathlete, then long distance triathlon. I've developed a greater love of riding as the years have gone on, and found that my knowledge needed to evolve with my appreciation. I recently moved from Chicago to Western North Carolina, and am able to enjoy riding that much more. I still run and swim, and plan to continue life as a triathlete as long as I can run. I found this site some years ago, and would use it to learn from you all. Most recently, a thread I began led me to place an order with Mike Zanconato for an aluminum road bike, and am really looking forward to it. I very much appreciate all this site has to offer, and am grateful to be able to learn things from such knowledgeable and passionate people. Thanks for having me!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome, Larry! Living in Brevard with an aluminum Zank on the way...consider me jealous.
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi, My name is Minor Baker.

I have been a "member" for almost two years I think, but in the process of finding my password recently, stumbled across this thread.
    I found VS through a friend who is a regular. I enjoy the discussions and periodically add a comment or two. Thanks for allowing me to be a part of this little corner of the web.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Howdy,
    I'm just starting my cycling journey and my mechanic friend suggested that I look around here to learn more. I was a runner for a long time until I had to many stress fractures and saw the light of two wheels. I'm getting into racing and doing longer rides and I'm looking forward to see where this takes me. Thanks for having me and I hope to learn lots about all facets of the cycling world!
    '

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey guys,
    Marty from Geekhouse bikes here. I've been an inactive member for the last few years. But I'm back and looking forward to chatting and hearing more about news and the industry. Thanks!

-M

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Minor and Mike - welcome to the lunch table.
    And Marty - welcome back atmo!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where in Kentucky are you from, Kentucky Mike? I lived around Lexington, Frankfort, and Jessamine County for 10 or so years and my wife is from Versailles. There's nowhere like it. Still among my favorite road bicycle riding of any I've done, and I've ridden plenty of nice places - Sierras, Colorado, Aix-en-Provence, the Blue Ridge, etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi All,
    I'm Steve from Sydney and I am a noob (2nd year) who has the bug bad. Love looking at bikes, learning about bikes and talking about bike stuff. I'm over on WW alot but admire the subtle difference in tone over here on VS. Seems there is a bit more tolerance of subjective statements perhaps (based on someone talking about a bike "planing" in the F8 thread). And super polite which is good, plus nice bikes! I train alot these days (indoors unfortunately) and race weekends. First race at 41 and I do wish I had started earlier.

Love power meters.

thanks for having this great space and all this fantastic material to read.

Best
    Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mr_gray View Post
    I'm Steve from Sydney and I am a noob (2nd year) who has the bug bad.
    So bad he bought my 'zetti. A Gaulzetti in your second year of riding is effing cool! Welcome, Steve.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi All!
    My Name is Eike, I am from Germany, Duesseldorf.
    My english is ….. to be improved. So please be patient if I am writing rubbish or unclear...

Okay, my first mistake - I did my introduction in the wrong category:
    http://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum...ry-662-41.html

Further to this:
    I did a few years of road racing, when I was young - loooong time ago.

Now, between job, family, trying to learn to play guitar, fixing the old mercedes, building bikes, whatever, I do not really find time to ride a lot. From home to office and back - that´s it...
    I started to build frames, inspired by the rapha video "of Steel" about Dario Pegoretti (Great guy, really origin!!!) - and the famous Selberbruzzler. At first I did some recycling of old columbus race-frames for some light kids-bikes, as shown in the posting linked above. Later I did a fixie for me, and then a bike for my wife.
    I really like to do things with my hands. Having a result witch you can touch and do something with really satisfies me. In daily business I am an architect. That often means working for months on one project. Sometimes it dies after these months, so that at the end you only kept data or paper from months of work.

Frame building (or car fixing) is the total opposite - I love that!

So far, that should be enough for today.

Best regards,
    Eike

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi to Steve and Eike.
    Welcome to the lunch table atmo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Red face Re: Welcome. Say hi

hi,
    -- look forward to....

ronnie with a smile

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi all,

Long time rider, first time caller. I've been a road rider since college in Santa Cruz, CA, still have and love the Gios Super Record I bought in 1978 (repainted this year by Joe Bell). Switched to MTB in the 90s but have returned to the road. I still consider Santa Cruz among the most beautiful places to ride and return there at least once a year (including an occasional drooling stop at the Calfee shop).

I'd ended up here many times via The Google but finally decided to join in hopes of benefiting from the wisdom of the crowd, especially at the moment since I'm struggling with fit, and hesitating to commit to a custom frame (though I see it in my future). I appreciate the spirit of this place.

charles

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello Everybody,

I've been reading VS for a few months here and there, so it might be time to finally make some posts soon. I'm from Alberta Canada and I'm a road rider who just built his first frame in the school shop while studying industrial design a couple winters ago. I'm currently working on getting setup at home to build more frames and I'm nearly there! A bit of tooling, practice parts, torch setup, etc are in place now, so hopefully I can get a couple frames done this winter. What else can I say, I'm a product designer, a former car guy, materials and building techniques are fascinating to me, and I'm a tire obsessive. Anyway, I'm hoping that someday I'll be able to contribute some knowledge to this place, and until then I'll keep learning! Thanks to everyone here who takes time to share. It seems to me there are lots of experts
    - Brad Comis

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi, my name is Simon. I ended up here while googling around for info on resetting a 130mm disc frame to 135. Ended up passing the frame along to someone else, but this seems like a pretty cool place and I've been reading around and absorbing a lot of good information.

I used to ride a lot and race some in college (mostly xc and cross) but life and series of physically demanding jobs had me slowly drifting out of riding until the past year (now in my late 20s). I live in Portland now and while I miss easy access to trails and dirt roads I've been enjoying the local variety and doing short tours when I have time. Probably no ambitions to race every again, but you never know.

If anyone in the Portland area wants a partner for trail riding or casual road/gravel cruises, hit me up. I bring good snacks. Instagram: Simon (@theburningpines) • Instagram photos and videos

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On behalf of the big boys, you're both welcome!
    Andrea "Gattonero" Cattolico, head mechanic @Condor Cycles London

"Caron, non ti crucciare:
    vuolsi così colà dove si puote
    ciò che si vuole, e più non dimandare"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Belated hellos and welcomes to Charles, Brad, and Simon.
    Nice to see you here.
    Happy Holidays in advance atmo!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hello all,
    my name is craig, I live in saint helens oregon.... I was an avid MTBer for many years, then work and other things kept me off the bike for about 10 years....got back into riding again in 2012... had some health issues and was down for a few years..... wasnt working, so I started picking up cheap or free bikes from yard sales and also ran some local ads offering to haul off "junk" bikes... most of what I picked up were dept store bikes, that I fixed or used for parts for other bikes... some of the good finds I kept for my self... like the 97 rockhopper in the pics below....turned it into a commuter bike with parts from other bikes....most recently I was putting together a bike to help someone in need.... ended up with a few bikes, got one fixed up to donate and still had this 91 raleigh tangent..... had a 24" front wheel on it and it needed some other work, but I had an 86 schwinn sierra that was way to big for me( 23" frame)....put all my best parts on it and bought some others....you could call it a retro trail bike.....ran across this site while looking for a hite rite... didnt find one yet....
    Attached Images Attached Images