Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wall Queen Advice

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Wall Queen Advice

Through a twist of good fortune, the boys in Boston say my Firefly build will be ready 3 months ahead of schedule, thanks mainly to my retrogrouch component selection. People ahead of me in the list apparently chose hip, cutting-edge, epic components, which are out of stock. A good thing about components that are slightly klunky is they are always in stock. So I leapfrog the list.

In a second twist of good fortune, The Boss has given me permission to display my 1974 Masi—the only road bike I’ve ridden for 40+ years—on the living room wall. She also appreciates the beauty of the beast. It has a fresh and stunning Joe Bell paint job and I intend to clean it up a bit and keep it in road-ready condition -- although I doubt I will be riding it much.

So I need a bike holder that is fit for living room display. I fanaticized about asking Richard Sachs or Brian Bayliss to fashion a hanger from left-over tubing, but I have already done the sofa dive to gather nickels to fund the Firefly, so not much left. Advice?

IMG_20150703_174914.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Wall Queen Advice

Are you handy? Two small hardwood blocks, oil finished, drilled for fishing line to attach the frame and face milled to rec'v the top tube and chainstay. Use hollow wall anchors to attach. Bet you can knock that out in an afternoon.

West Chester, Pennsylvania, United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

they also have various wooden fixtures on the web. A quick search on google or Etsy will turn up some ideas.
    Bill Showers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

give it to somebody who will ride it
    let it age gracefully that way it should

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what about more pictures? I like the idea of hanging the frame only.. Every home should have one! Wood blocks is sound and safe since wood won't hurt the painting.
    slow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is a pretty nice kit from Fluoshop on Etsy. Includes everything required for mounting. You might find alternatives designed similarly for frames, or perhaps the owner of Fluoshop would make some. For frames, you could use a much shorter support.

This is also pretty clever and might allow you to memorialize your Masi's bar and stem as well. Again, variations possible for hanging just a frame that can fit closer to the wall than a bike with pedals could. For example, you might simply be able to mount a pair of drop bars directly to the wall or to a wooden medallion that then mounts to the wall.

To keep the fork and frame together, I'd just clean and rebuild the headset and leave it in the frame. That seems simpler than fashioning any sort of spacer/top nut arrangement.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hang it from a meat hook.

Now onto more important matters, please reveal your Firefly build. The winter wind is beginning to whistle through the cracks of summer past, and we need something to cloak ourselves with until spring.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by verbs4us View Post
    Through a twist of good fortune, the boys in Boston say my Firefly build will be ready 3 months ahead of schedule, thanks mainly to my retrogrouch component selection. People ahead of me in the list apparently chose hip, cutting-edge, epic components, which are out of stock. A good thing about components that are slightly klunky is they are always in stock. So I leapfrog the list.
    I would be careful about sharing that information publicly especially because you are jumping ahead of many on this forum...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Complete bicycles rarely look like art when hung on the wall. Really difficult to display, imo.
    Bare naked framesets, on the other hand...

Santiago at Maglia Rosa NYC did an incredible minimalist job of hanging ^that up. The mounts were practically invisible!
    Neil

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fixtures for a frame are also only need to support 2 vs 8 kgs

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For a good off-the-shelf retail solution, try this one:

CB2 Wood Bike Storage

I have it doing double duty as display piece and storage (4 bikes in one apartment, with no secure storage in the building), although I don't ride this one as much lately:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by m_b_b View Post
    For a good off-the-shelf retail solution
    I see what you did there.
    Neil

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Through a twist of good fortune, the boys in Boston say my Firefly build will be ready 3 months ahead of schedule, thanks mainly to my retrogrouch component selection.
    Yeah, no one specs real Campag anymore.....

cambio.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
    I would be careful about sharing that information publicly especially because you are jumping ahead of many on this forum...
    The Boss has given me permission
    Well, the OP is apparently married to Springsteen ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know it is your bike but since you ask the intarweb...you should donate it to someone in need. Who cares if it eventually end up in the hands of a homeless crackhead it will still be more useful than as an ugly hipster adornment. Bikes do not belong to the living room, it will only make you look more stupid/deviant to your relatives.

A bicycle is an elegant means of transportation made of pipes welded together.

Art is not elegance. Elegance is not art.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sk_tle: Why is having a 40 year old Masi that the OP has ridden and loved for FORTY YEARS in the hands of a homeless crackhead "more useful" than having the frame tastefully on his wall if he so chooses? The homeless crackhead is going to be riding it in crackhead crits, what? It's not like he picked the thing up on ebay and just threw it up there without some history. I'm not sure what your art/elegance little statement means in this context. It's like a family photo that means a lot to him. This is a set of nine pipes that has done its job for him and he's celebrating. Maybe lighten up on the seriousness for a moment??? You may not choose to hang it on your wall but that is really harsh, imho.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Make a very basic sketch of what you need and send it to a cabinet shop with a CNC router/laser...whatever woodworking shops use. im terrible with wood, and if they can do wood with a laser it might add a cool look to a piece of cabinet grade plywood that you could seal and wax for a boutique feel.
    Matt Moore

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wouldn't put a bike in my living room. Maybe, just maybe, in my workshop or cycling man cave. And I'd make sure it's in working condition with a proper build.

Bikes are meant to be ridden. That's not a harsh assessment, but it's not my taste. The living room is for other stuff.

That doesn't mean we can't spend more time in our workshops than our living rooms! But I basically like to keep them separate.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i couldnt find the exact image i was looking for, but if you're not going to ride it, i love the simplicity and look of the bottom bracket mount. pull the BB and crankset (and other components if you wish. and mount by the BB. simple, clean, secure.

someone makes a mount much more elegant than this, but you get the idea.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks guys. I love the photos of the examples shown--some racks that match the simple elegance of the bike and will add to the display of its aesthetic. I find something about well-built, old, well-used bikes that is both calming and inspiring. I still recall a purple Poglihagi track bike I saw as a kid--it looked fast just sitting still. I had the same feeling when I saw Bill Monroe's F-5 mandolin at the Country Music Hall of Fame.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast