User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: W/ Boonen ride on 30" tires, will the industry shift heavily towards fat tires?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default W/ Boonen ride on 30" tires, will the industry shift heavily towards fat tires?

Will bikes w/ max clearance of 25" be a specialty, a niche racing tool like track bikes? I am unbiased since i like slim tires for most of my riding.
    slow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: W/ Boonen ride on 30" tires, will the industry shift heavily towards fat tires?

It's P-R, it IS the niche racing course. All the rest is business as usual.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: W/ Boonen ride on 30" tires, will the industry shift heavily towards fat tires?

always something new.
    I thk space for 28 would be pretty easy to accomplish..
    with no downside.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
    always something new.
    I thk space for 28 would be pretty easy to accomplish..
    with no downside.
    What about BB height? once you go from 23' to 28' you moved the bike up quite a bit..
    slow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BB will be higher by 3mm. So what ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lionel View Post
    BB will be higher by 3mm. So what ?
    Exactly, it'd be like changing geometry based on the thicker saddle and bar tape you just installed.

P-R is P-R. It is the outlier of road races.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auk View Post
    Exactly, it'd be like changing geometry based on the thicker saddle and bar tape you just installed.

P-R is P-R. It is the outlier of road races.
    A bit different than raising your saddle.
    slow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by colker View Post
    Will bikes w/ max clearance of 25" be a specialty, a niche racing tool like track bikes? I am unbiased since i like slim tires for most of my riding.
    Where were you these last 4 years or so ? ;-)

The racing bike with 23-25mm max tires is a niche already.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I read 30" I read it as 30 inches and thought he had some new larger diameter wheels or something. Like a road bike 29er if you will.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

besides racing bike with clearance limited to 23-25mm wide tires as always been an italian thing really.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The industry is reacting. Trek has their line of Domane bikes for larger tires and even some kind of 'suspension'. Specialized has their Roubaix line. All of these take larger than the historically standard 22/23mm tires. The so-called 'gravel bike' market is booming because people are trying new types of riding unpaved roads.

I would actually be curious if, at some point, a rider uses some really big tires or at least tests them. We hear about tires in the upper 30s. But of course those tires are heavy.

But the industry already supports bikes with much more clearance for larger tires than they did even 5 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    besides racing bike with clearance limited to 23-25mm wide tires as always been an italian thing really.
    And a French thing. I installed into my Pacenti rims and 25mm tires that come out at pretty much 28mm just to see if they would fit. There's about 1mm of clearance - not enough to make riding them reasonable. And my Vittoria Pave tubulars, which come out at just over 26mm, fit snuggly, though I would ride them without too much hesitation. Fact is that racing bikes haven't wanted or needed more clearance, but the trend right now is moving towards wider tires and lower pressures for all kinds of riding.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post

And a French thing. I installed into my Pacenti rims and 25mm tires that come out at pretty much 28mm just to see if they would fit. There's about 1mm of clearance - not enough to make riding them reasonable. And my Vittoria Pave tubulars, which come out at just over 26mm, fit snuggly, though I would ride them without too much hesitation. Fact is that racing bikes haven't wanted or needed more clearance, but the trend right now is moving towards wider tires and lower pressures for all kinds of riding.
    A lot of the Merckx max leader frames have trouble w/ larger than 25 tires.
    slow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[curmudgeon]If my daily ride included miles and miles of dirt roads like DCT and others ride here, then I might get something that took wider tires. But otherwise I can't get past the feeling that for most uses it is like driving an SUV to the corner grocery for a quart of milk. Besides, skinny tires are part of what I like about road bikes. I like the teeth chattering and sweaty palms of riding over broken pavement and dancing around obstacles and all the rest.

In other words, if I get called up by Cannondale to race P-R like Phil Gaimon did, I'll ask for some wider tires. Otherwise it is 23mm or 25mm. I'm skinny anyway. Don't want my tires fatter than I am.[/curmudgeon]
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    [curmudgeon]If my daily ride included miles and miles of dirt roads like DCT and others ride here, then I might get something that took wider tires. But otherwise I can't get past the feeling that for most uses it is like driving an SUV to the corner grocery for a quart of milk. Besides, skinny tires are part of what I like about road bikes. I like the teeth chattering and sweaty palms of riding over broken pavement and dancing around obstacles and all the rest.

In other words, if I get called up by Cannondale to race P-R like Phil Gaimon did, I'll ask for some wider tires. Otherwise it is 23mm or 25mm. I'm skinny anyway. Don't want my tires fatter than I am.[/curmudgeon]
    Almost all of my riding is on 22/23mm tubulars. The ride is sweet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On the fifth or sixth day-I can't remember which- the Lord created the Clement Strada 66 for riding on pavement. It was 22 mm wide. It is gone now, but the example of perfection remains toward which others should aspire.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just ordered a set of specialized Paris roubaix 700x30 tires last week after seeing them:
    Recently I have been wondering how I will ever go back to 25's after having ridden 30 or 32's the last year a ton- I am a little slower than some of my PR bests, but don't care because the quality of ride (safety) is amazing
    What I am making now:7 sugars.
    Instagram: 7 sugars.

"Nothing is original. Steal from anywhere that resonates with inspiration or fuels your imagination.... Select only things to steal from that speak directly to your soul. If you do this, your work (and theft) will be authentic."
    Jim Jarmusch

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm surprised when a modern race bike can't take 28 tires. Tight clearence has been gone for years.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Man.......a thirty inch tire is huge!

I for sure would run the twenty five inch tire.

Now this guy - he's thinking right - why measure tires in Inches when you can measure them in Feet!

What about BB height? once you go from 23' to 28' you moved the bike up quite a bit..
    Yep, about 2.5 feet

http://ibismaximus.com/wp-content/up...3-1200x797.jpg

- Garro.
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wider tires, while still fast rolling, are quickly becoming a reality.

I don't know the history of exactly why the "classic" road tire is so skinny and high pressure nevertheless, I'd say they address a paradigm that doesn't reflect all but a specialized set of circumstances. Short course crit type and velodrome racing? Why, and when were they designed, and what for? Did the larger events, tour events, PR, etc.. come to fruition later historically speaking?

I've been riding the Schwalbe S-ONE in recent weeks and I'll be damned if it isn't the perfect NYC and outlying areas tire. We have some shitty road conditions, a lot of chopped up pavement and such, and for hopping onto a bit of dirt here and there they certainly do the trick while being relatively light and fast rolling... I run them at 45f/60r psi and I'm 189#...

Low 20mm sized tires aren't practical for real world riding...unless you romanticize the past.
    Martin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think I've ever seen a tire smaller than 23 outside of a track race, and for the past few years all I see, or run myself, have been 25s in wide rims. Maybe it's a PNW thing but skinny tires have been gone for a while.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast