User Tag List

Thread: Vittoria Graphene Tubular - tread separation?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Vittoria Graphene Tubular - tread separation?

I was about to place an order for some Vitt tubs after using Veloflex Arenbergs for a good number of years and I came across this on WW - Vittoria G+ Tubular Issue - Weight Weenies - that gave me some pause.

Has anyone here run into any tread separation on the newer generation Vitt tubulars?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Vittoria Graphene Tubular - tread separation?

I think they just released the second generation of G+, but I have used their first generation stuff, a pair of 25s and a pair of 30s.

The 30s did not see all that much distance or wetness although I did the Paris Roubaix sportive on them; I switched back to Veloflex Vlaanderens because I prefer the way Veloflex feels.

The 25s saw plenty of wetness and about 3000 km before being retired for suffering too many cuts and a leak I believe near the valve stem area that I couldn't fix with a sealant.

Neither had tread separation. I find that that the tread seem more vulnerable to cuts and punctures than Veloflex. It seems to pick up a lot more crap off the road like a Hoover.

I got tempted by the Graphene puncture resistance promise but went back to Veloflex.
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bdaghisallo View Post
    I was about to place an order for some Vitt tubs after using Veloflex Arenbergs for a good number of years and I came across this on WW - Vittoria G+ Tubular Issue - Weight Weenies - that gave me some pause.

Has anyone here run into any tread separation on the newer generation Vitt tubulars?
    most tubular and open tubular designs are going to be susceptible to the tread lifting from the carcass. In most cases you can just use some tubular glue or shoe-goo to glue the lifted bit back down to the casing. Annoying for sure but not a big deal.

I don't know what was going on with the reports of bulges in the tread, that could be broken ply chords which would warrant a replacement of the tire. You usually only see that on a tire with cotton chords that have started to dry-rot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zachateseverything View Post
    most tubular and open tubular designs are going to be susceptible to the tread lifting from the carcass. In most cases you can just use some tubular glue or shoe-goo to glue the lifted bit back down to the casing. Annoying for sure but not a big deal.

I don't know what was going on with the reports of bulges in the tread, that could be broken ply chords which would warrant a replacement of the tire. You usually only see that on a tire with cotton chords that have started to dry-rot.
    It's been a long time since I have seen tread separation on any of the tubs I use. That said, I have been using Veloflex tubs for a long time! But I don't recall this issue when I used pre-graphene Vitt tubs before I jumped on the Veloflex train.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bdaghisallo View Post
    It's been a long time since I have seen tread separation on any of the tubs I use. That said, I have been using Veloflex tubs for a long time! But I don't recall this issue when I used pre-graphene Vitt tubs before I jumped on the Veloflex train.
    It'll be less common with higher quality tires. The challenge cx tubulars are notorious for it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is a shame that Vittoria seems to be having problems with tread separation as they have been pretty solid. As noted above, Challenge tires have this problem with regularity. I see them all the time. Sadly, FMB has the same problem. It seems that there are some aspects of handmade tire production that are becoming a lost art. Fortunately, there is Veloflex. In 30 years of using Veloflex tubulars, I have never had a tread peel. One other point about peeling treads...It is possible to glue down a separated tread, but you really don't know what remaining parts of the tread have a weak bond. It's best to toss the tire. It's no different that putting a tubular on a rim with no glue as you have no idea if or when the tread will peel off under hard cornering.
    "Humilis humilibus...Inflectans arroganibus....."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by El Chaba View Post
    This is a shame that Vittoria seems to be having problems with tread separation as they have been pretty solid. As noted above, Challenge tires have this problem with regularity. I see them all the time. Sadly, FMB has the same problem. It seems that there are some aspects of handmade tire production that are becoming a lost art. Fortunately, there is Veloflex. In 30 years of using Veloflex tubulars, I have never had a tread peel. One other point about peeling treads...It is possible to glue down a separated tread, but you really don't know what remaining parts of the tread have a weak bond. It's best to toss the tire. It's no different that putting a tubular on a rim with no glue as you have no idea if or when the tread will peel off under hard cornering.
    I think that's an overblown concern. I'm not sure I've ever heard about someone crashing because of a bicycle tire delamination. Bare cotton fabric on asphalt or cement will have still have a coefficient of friction around .5 or so. That's plenty enough to get you through most corners.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tread separation is a primary product feature of FMB road tubs. Trying to glue down the separated bits is a waste of time, glue and effort because it will be an endless game as more and more spots peel off.

Challenge also seem to have difficulties making their tubs round. I thought my wheels were completely out of true radially until I realised that it was just the crap tubs.
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

N of 1, but I've had good luck with the Graphene tubulars - been using the 23's (because that's what my circa 2011 race bike accommodates) in the anthracite colorway. I get about 2700 miles on a rear before tread shows. No delamination. I've used the new generation Corsa G+ clincher in 28 on my cx bike off-season as a gravel rig and those are fine also. Challenge tubulars (Grifo) annoyingly delaminate early and often and made me move to Clement/Donnelly for cx tubulars. Based on this, I've never considered Challenge for road tubulars.
    Lou D'Amelio
    Bucks County PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

iíve gone through probably 8-10 sets of these without this issue. sounds limited.

have experienced it with challenge and veloflex.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No issue with Vittoria tubulars either in terms of tread separation after 2K+ miles. 25mm Control (?) Arms are getting bigger from pumping them up every morning as well.