User Tag List

Thread: The Virtual Tour de France -

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: The Virtual Tour de France -

Rome also succumbed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tried to force myself to be remotely interested in one of the few online races that happened during our lockdown and I must say they are totally unwatcheable. They only last 1 h or so but you get bored after only 2 minutes and end up closing the browser window after 10.

But then I am not like those teenagers that can watch other people play on Twitch. If I am in front of a video game you'd better give me a remote controller so I can take part to it or I'll lose interest immediately.

I also don't understand, and that also applies to motorsport as well, why we don't use that virtual concept to allow non pros to race against them. Virtual motorsport races held with F1 and motogp racers on simulators has shown some of them are so inept it ends up in a total crashfest while experienced simracers accustomed to the finesse required when you lack part of the physical reactions would have kicked their ass. These virtual races would have allowed to put some lights to these people who usually stay in the shadow but do not lack talent.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is this really for reals?
    Lee James Jones
    105 fan

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    I tried to force myself to be remotely interested in one of the few online races that happened during our lockdown and I must say they are totally unwatcheable. They only last 1 h or so but you get bored after only 2 minutes and end up closing the browser window after 10.

But then I am not like those teenagers that can watch other people play on Twitch. If I am in front of a video game you'd better give me a remote controller so I can take part to it or I'll lose interest immediately.

I also don't understand, and that also applies to motorsport as well, why we don't use that virtual concept to allow non pros to race against them. Virtual motorsport races held with F1 and motogp racers on simulators has shown some of them are so inept it ends up in a total crashfest while experienced simracers accustomed to the finesse required when you lack part of the physical reactions would have kicked their ass. These virtual races would have allowed to put some lights to these people who usually stay in the shadow but do not lack talent.
    i tried watching a zwift race and a crit...only reason i lasted is because one of our ladies was racing. otherwise...i just can't. i think it's the lack of crowds and emotion visible emotion.

and i wonder if Williams will land any sponsors following George Russell's performances in the virtual F1 races.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Virtual racing? Nein danke.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd rather watch The Real House Wives of Beverly Hills...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if ever I am watching zoom zwift instead of riding my bike in july, please, take my card

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And I thought we’d reached the next level when I found the corn hole championships on ESPN.
    Television has remained in the off position.
    Rick Stubblefield

If the process is more important than the result, you play. If the result is more important than the process, you work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm a little surprised that something could happen that made me even less interested.
    Tom Ambros

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post

I don't watch a lot of streams but I can see the appeal of watching people stream games. It can be interactive. You can joke around with people in the chat. You can influence what the streamer does on screen in some cases. You also get to see someone do something you're interested in at a high level and maybe they even walk you through their thought processes.

That said, I've got zero interest in watching other people zwift. You've got a bunch of clunky avatars buzzing around a second rate game environment. It's difficult to follow exactly what's going on. and you don't have the same tactics and drama that you get out of a real race. It's a hard pass for me but if other people are into it, that's fine too.

I don't know that I want to see Zwift pros compete against real pros. I know a couple months back MvdP got popped in a zwift race just because he didn't know how the powerups and all that stuff works.

You do make a good point regarding driving sims. That stuff is hard, especially the static ones. We just installed a research oriented simulator at my office. The vehicle model is a 1 to 1 re-creation of the physics for a real car so it doesn't have any of the tricks that'd be incorporated into a Forza or Gran Turismo type sim to make it easier to play. It's a crash fest for everyone the first time you get into it, particularly if we dial back the force feedback on the steering wheel. There's a reduced sensation of speed vs a real car so it's very easy to overcook a corner and go off into a wall. It does make for a fun workday.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One step closer to proving we already exist in a simulation.

We Are Probably Living in a Simulation, Here's What You Need to Know About Simulation Theory
    La Cheeserie!