User Tag List

Thread: Veloflex Record 22mm Clinchers on wide rims?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Veloflex Record 22mm Clinchers on wide rims?

Picked up a pair of Veloflex Record 22mm clinchers out of curiosity. Got home and realized that the most narrow rims I have are the Pacenti SL23s which have an inside/outside widths of 18/24mm respectively.
    Would there be any compatibility/riding problems? Or should I pass the tires to someone who has more narrow rims? The tires are very impressive in the box in terms of suppleness and thinness...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Veloflex Record 22mm Clinchers on wide rims?

I've used the Veloflex Corsa 23mm (which probably measure closer to 22mm) on HED w i d e rims w/o issue. It was actually a really great ride.
    Auk's words to live by:
    Blow up and pin a picture of M. Bartoli on your wall. When you achieve that position, stop. Until then, stretch, ride, stretch, ride, eat less, and ride more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Levendis View Post
    Picked up a pair of Veloflex Record 22mm clinchers out of curiosity. Got home and realized that the most narrow rims I have are the Pacenti SL23s which have an inside/outside widths of 18/24mm respectively.
    Would there be any compatibility/riding problems? Or should I pass the tires to someone who has more narrow rims? The tires are very impressive in the box in terms of suppleness and thinness...
    I haven't gotten around to it, but I am planning on mounting Veloflex Corsa 23s on a set of 23mm HEDs. I think the concept of the wider rim was to change the profile of a "standard" tire, so my guess is the 22 records would be fine, but I'll defer to the experts. In general, though, the veloflex clinchers are great. And if you feel more comfortable with a wider tire on those rims, I recommend the Master/Corsa 25s. They've been my main tires for the last year and I've been really happy with them. The Ultremo ZX 25s are giving them a run for their money, though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It will fit perfectly and yes actually will appear to be a wider tire than on another rim.

Might require tool though I don't think your hands will be enough to mount it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kentinmania View Post
    Might require tool though I don't think your hands will be enough to mount it!
    I've found veloflex pretty easy to mount. A little tight the first time, but after that they go on with ease.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

True!

I remember Continental clinchers were a bitch to mount on Campa Neutron as it was a bit wider than average, so I guess with the new wider rims even suple Veloflex could be a bit tight!

Back to topic I'm sure it will be a great combo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I recently bought a pair of Master 25s that haven't ridden yet. Pre-stretched them on 21mm DT rims and they measured out at 24.5mm after a couple of days.
    Could be a nice combo with 23mm wide rims.

Mounting Veloflex is all about technique. Lots of chalk powder on the inside, bead and the tube to prevent sticking and pinching.
    Start at valve, gradually working your way around the rim, both left and right. Always work away from you. No tools required, not even on tight Campy wheels.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Levendis View Post
    Should be no prob, mate.

Give away a pair of Veloflexes. That's funny!
    “Always drink upstream from the herd.”

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    I've found veloflex pretty easy to mount. A little tight the first time, but after that they go on with ease.
    Mine on the HEDs were difficult to mount and remove - every time. Maybe I'm just a big baby though.
    Auk's words to live by:
    Blow up and pin a picture of M. Bartoli on your wall. When you achieve that position, stop. Until then, stretch, ride, stretch, ride, eat less, and ride more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by velobran View Post
    Mine on the HEDs were difficult to mount and remove - every time. Maybe I'm just a big baby though.
    Possibly. You need more crossfit in your diet.

I haven't tried mine on the HEDs yet, so we'll see if the wide rim makes a difference. On the Mavics they go on and off with no issues.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've got 23mm Vittoria Open Corsa SCs on my HED rims and love the ride. I would imagine that the Veloflexes wouldn't be terribly different in terms of apparent width, but I've never ridden them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    ...In general, though, the veloflex clinchers are great. And if you feel more comfortable with a wider tire on those rims, I recommend the Master/Corsa 25s. They've been my main tires for the last year and I've been really happy with them. The Ultremo ZX 25s are giving them a run for their money, though.
    I love the Veloflex clinchers. I went from liking to loving my Responsorium when I replaced its 23mm Michelin Pro3s with Corsa 23s.

I finally wore out the last of my 25mm Pro3s on my Zank, and just received a batch of Corsa 25s as their replacement. Since I already love my Zank I'm left wondering what's beyond "love". I can't wait to mount these tires and find out.
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by davids View Post
    I love the Veloflex clinchers. I went from liking to loving my Responsorium when I replaced its 23mm Michelin Pro3s with Corsa 23s.

I finally wore out the last of my 25mm Pro3s on my Zank, and just received a batch of Corsa 25s as their replacement. Since I already love my Zank I'm left wondering what's beyond "love". I can't wait to mount these tires and find out.
    David, according to Maslow's hierarchy to self-actualization, the only thing greater than love is sex. Enjoy your Corsa 25's and report back with an update. I've been eyeing those for spring and would enjoy a critique.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by davids View Post

I've been riding the Corsa 23s for a couple years now and was really happy with them. Tried the 25s and now I have a small stockpile. Last time I was in the mountains I has Corsa 25s with latex tubes on Ksyrium SLRs on my zank. Pure cycling bliss.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have Corsa 25 with vittoria latex tube. They are very good. Not as good as an arenberg tubular but very good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WFSTEKL View Post
    David, according to Maslow's hierarchy to self-actualization, the only thing greater than love is sex. Enjoy your Corsa 25's and report back with an update. I've been eyeing those for spring and would enjoy a critique.
    That would be "Mandingo" Maslow?
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

those tires would be terrible on those rims.
    send them to me...
    i will suffer with them.