Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Velocipede Salon Member Ride & Ski Reports - 02/24 - 03/01

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Velocipede Salon Member Ride & Ski Reports - 02/24 - 03/01

Spent time trying to figure out a click on the right side of my bike until I realized it was my knee.

Rain late tomorrow, chance of snow on Thursday. No swimsuits yet.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Re: Velocipede Salon Member Ride & Ski Reports - 02/24 - 03/01

My son doing his first criterium. He does collegiate club racing for the Naval Academy. We got the bike from Dash Dustin and Old Potatoe is building him a set of race wheels. It's a community effort. I'll see him this weekend in Raleigh at the NC State University races.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Weight Doper

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    My son doing his first criterium. He does collegiate club racing for the Naval Academy. We got the bike from Dash Dustin and Old Potatoe is building him a set of race wheels. It's a community effort. I'll see him this weekend in Raleigh at the NC State University races.
    Pretty sweet Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vertical_doug View Post
    Pretty sweet Bill
    Zero interest while he was in high school. I was pushing towards triathlon because he was a strong swimmer and middle distance runner, he just need to pick up the bike. Now he loves the speed, moving all around the pack, throwing elbows in the sprint, etc, nothing at all like a tri guy. His current wheelset has DT 240 with HED Belgium rims 3X32. His new wheels will be DT 350 hubs with DT 411 and way fewer spokes. He's around 150#.
    Weight Doper

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can feel my SAD fleeing as the sun rises a little earlier every day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Zero interest while he was in high school. I was pushing towards triathlon because he was a strong swimmer and middle distance runner, he just need to pick up the bike. Now he loves the speed, moving all around the pack, throwing elbows in the sprint, etc, nothing at all like a tri guy. His current wheelset has DT 240 with HED Belgium rims 3X32. His new wheels will be DT 350 hubs with DT 411 and way fewer spokes. He's around 150#.
    Bill, my wife and I have a similar experience with our daughter. A high performer with a PhD in Biology, she does Olympic distance triathlons and marathons. She got an invite to nationals a couple years ago for the Tri. She qualified for and finished the Boston marathon on the worst weather day ever for Boston - 2018 - won by Desiree Linden from Michigan. I knew from the morning weather that it would not favor the Kenyans or Ethiopians because they do not train in 37 degrees with a cold rain in a 20 mph headwind. As I am sure you are of your son, we are super proud of her! Thanks for the great posts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brought the bikes witn us when we came out to Santa Monica CA to visit the step-kid. A slower than usual 34 mile ride that was made more wonderful because it was with my wife who said “I could get into this being an everyday thing” and in the middle of it was the excuse for the ride.

Fresh seafood in Redondo Beach. The sea urchin was so fresh it was still moving.

Quality Seafood by Jon Mandel, on Flickr
    Jon Mandel

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Goleta Beach County Park, north of Santa Barbara, just south of the UCSB campus, low cloud cover, low-mid 70s and a little humid, glassy water.

Pier at the park, couple of people surf fishing

looking in from the end of the pier, Santa Ynez Mtns in the background

looking north from the pier at the UCSB campus, as I've said before, nice place to go to school

looking south, part of the park parking lot and farther down towards Santa Barbara

Santa Cruz Island on the left, Santa Rosa on the right, 35miles +- off shore
    Stay strong in this time of crisis and realize sadness and grief are part of the process Brian Clare

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The issue when you bring the “I have no idea what kind of riding I’ll find” all road bike is that you have the wrong bike for the majority of rides (at least on this trip).

Nevertheless, 40 miles to and then up and down some canyon road route was quite a good way to start the day.

Mandeville Canyon by Jon Mandel, on Flickr
    Jon Mandel

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nothing like fresh rubber...prob a bit early for my spring/summer set up but what the hell

[IMG]IMG_20200229_070748_MP by W L, on Flickr[/IMG] to

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Supply and demand rule. Today I paid $139+tax for one veloflex tubular. I flatted 2 blocks away from a bike shop in Cupertino. I was going to use my spare but my lazy ass got in instead fully expecting them not to have any decent tub in stock. But they actually had some stashed away including a 25mm roubaix ! They removed my old one applied a quick layer of mastik1 to the new one and installed it.

I was in and out in 10min. Kudos to Cupertino bike shop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The kid went down hard in a road race near Cary, NC. Broke his radius, ulna, and dislocated his wrist. We spent the rest of the day in the ER at UNC Chapel Hill. The doc was able to put the wrist back in place and set the bones but he'll likely need surgery on the radius to better stabilize it. He's all splinted up and in a van with two other broken riders heading to Bethesda this morning. The pileup was caused by a Liberty U rider who tried to force his way into a paceline. He went down as well, I was right there, I saw what happened. Seeing my kid on the ground with an obviously broken arm, it was all I could do to not stomp that kid's ass. It was the first lap of a three lap race, pushing into a paceline was obviously required. The coach filed a complaint with USAC about the entire Liberty team, it was like they had never even ridden in a group before and were the common denominator in most of the day's crashes.
    Weight Doper

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

...fate...

....f8....

February 29, 2020 by SPP™ SlowPokePete, on Flickr

SPP
    My name is Peter Miller.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bill,
    Sorry to hear about your son’s mishap.
    I’m promoting the Crit for the Virgina Tech weekend, and I specifically found a circuit with no technical corners so I wouldn’t have to fill out as many Navy-Related incident reports! USNA has be infamous in Meme-world for seasons now for crashes, but It’s always crappy to hear about riders getting taken out by LU triathlete “bike racers”!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The kid went down hard in a road race near Cary, NC. Broke his radius, ulna, and dislocated his wrist. We spent the rest of the day in the ER at UNC Chapel Hill. The doc was able to put the wrist back in place and set the bones but he'll likely need surgery on the radius to better stabilize it. He's all splinted up and in a van with two other broken riders heading to Bethesda this morning. The pileup was caused by a Liberty U rider who tried to force his way into a paceline. He went down as well, I was right there, I saw what happened. Seeing my kid on the ground with an obviously broken arm, it was all I could do to not stomp that kid's ass. It was the first lap of a three lap race, pushing into a paceline was obviously required. The coach filed a complaint with USAC about the entire Liberty team, it was like they had never even ridden in a group before and were the common denominator in most of the day's crashes.
    Bill, I am so sorry that this happened. I can't imagine what it was like for you or for him. We just communicated about the success of our kids and this happens. I wish him, you, and his mom good luck with the recovery! Again, sorry. Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, that is terrible news.

Just did some reading about Liberty's coach and team.

Not really gonna comment on that, but no mention of any crashes at the race.

Hoping for a speedy recovery for your son, Bill.

SPP
    My name is Peter Miller.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Breaking News: Mountain biking in Kent, CT is just as good as the road riding!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by suspectdevice View Post
    Bill,
    Sorry to hear about your son’s mishap.
    I’m promoting the Crit for the Virgina Tech weekend, and I specifically found a circuit with no technical corners so I wouldn’t have to fill out as many Navy-Related incident reports! USNA has be infamous in Meme-world for seasons now for crashes, but It’s always crappy to hear about riders getting taken out by LU triathlete “bike racers”!
    I know USNA riders have a reputation for crit crashes, when you put a bunch of type A+ personality riders in a group..... This one sucked because it was a stupid move by one rider that took down six. Another USNA rider broke his arm as well in that crash but it didn't require setting. My son is back in Annapolis and will get his surgery at Bethesda. The only positive spin is that he didn't break any bones in his wrist so it's just structural with his radius and ulna, he should have full range of motion with his wrist. Push ups, pull ups, etc, should be no issue after his arm heals.
    Weight Doper

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know USNA riders have a reputation for crit crashes, when you put a bunch of type A+ personality riders in a group..... This one sucked because it was a stupid move by one rider that took down six. Another USNA rider broke his arm as well in that crash but it didn't require setting. My son is back in Annapolis and will get his surgery at Bethesda. The only positive spin is that he didn't break any bones in his wrist so it's just structural with his radius and ulna, he should have full range of motion with his wrist. Push ups, pull ups, etc, should be no issue after his arm heals.
    Bill, I just hit the like button because you said two positive things: He will get surgery at Bethesda (I work at Winchester Medical Center which is close by) and his wrist is fine. Again, I am so sorry that this happened and I wish you and him well in the recovery.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dcama5 View Post
    Bill, I just hit the like button because you said two positive things: He will get surgery at Bethesda (I work at Winchester Medical Center which is close by) and his wrist is fine. Again, I am so sorry that this happened and I wish you and him well in the recovery.
    Thanks, I guess it's all called Walter Reed now. His surgery is on Friday and fortunately the next week is spring break so that gives him some time to recover. I told him to park his butt on the couch at his sponsor's house. His sponsor mom is a nurse and she's going to look after him. Lots of fortunate in an unfortunate situation.
    Weight Doper

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast