User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Velocipede Salon Member Memorial Day Week Ride Reports 5/25-5/31

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Velocipede Salon Member Memorial Day Week Ride Reports 5/25-5/31

I can't top a timber rattler, but I had a nice ride down by Third Beach in Middletown, RI, today after doing some (OMG) intervals nearby. I've been doing a few more structured rides during the lockdown to keep them short and sweet.

That little shack serves some killer cheeseburgers when things are normal.

Still on my Hampco 'cause it rides amazingly and has a power meter . . . .

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I moved to the Bay Area almost six years ago, I was promised 22 degrees Celsius year round. Damn lies, last three days were extremely hot: almost reminded me of the 35 degs summer I used to live through, but couldn't anymore. Skipped a ride yesterday; today's evening ride started hot, but then cooled down nicely. Views are still just as good as promised.

And while this was doable on 25s, it was really hard to keep traction under the tires. I need to figure out how to budget an all road/road+ bike (33 tires + 1:1 low gear)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rynex Corners Road, Pattersonville NY

20200528_105947 by Tom Ambros, on Flickr

Later on I saw a spike horn buck standing on the verge that seemed completely unconcerned with me as I rode by. I thought about trying to stop to take his portrait but I figured he'd be bothered if I did so I kept going.

And, yeah, there's going to be a second wave if the local riders are any indication. Met two more guys riding in, second guy right on the wheel of the first.
    Tom Ambros

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DCT View Post
    No idea. I sent that picture to a friend and he said “you should probably leave, that snake can kill you!”
    The snout looks too round for a rattlesnake. My first guess was milk snake based on the color and pattern. Though I wouldn't stick my hand in there, it's just the type of place I'd expect to see a timber.

edit: The part of the animal that appears to be close to the tail, looks fat, and the transition from the belly to the sides in that section looks more acute than round. Those do make it look more viper-y.
    Zuzuís pedals

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nothing adds watts to your power output like a thorough bike cleaning and a fresh coat of wax...
    rw saunders
    everything is connected

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Morning hours across the rivers in Bronx, Queens, Brooklyn on the Crumpton. As I am in the city, I donít get as spectacular views as you all do. But there are some sights of important things, ATMO.

UN by Jon Mandel, on Flickr

Interesting that after a week of rides using the 1330 gm 650b wheels with 38ís I used the 1450 gm 700ís with the 25ís. Wow, it pointed out that NYC roads suck and those fatter wheels must be like training wheels. Fastest speed I have ever done this route in (by 17%) and it felt the same as usual effort-wise.
    Jon Mandel

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by snotrockets View Post
    When I moved to the Bay Area almost six years ago, I was promised 22 degrees Celsius year round. Damn lies, last three days were extremely hot: almost reminded me of the 35 degs summer I used to live through, but couldn't anymore. Skipped a ride yesterday; today's evening ride started hot, but then cooled down nicely. Views are still just as good as promised.
    Beautiful! Any chance you could share your route? A picture from the Berkeley flats:

demon_lover.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TRuth View Post
    Beautiful! Any chance you could share your route?
    Thanks.

Most of my routes are pretty boring: down wildcat (in Tilden), then just pick a direction based on time and weather, and loop around.

Yesterday I didn't had a lot of time so it was just hill repeats on wildcat (that creek is hiding just after the baby bear climb when you cross Camino Pablo), and Quarry trail in Tilden (doable on a roadbike from the parking lot to South Park if you approach the first hill fast enough)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DCT View Post
    Litchfield County & The Berkshires

My son, who is our resident snake expert, says that is not a Timber Rattlesnake and is more likely a rat snake

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If it means anything Darren, I’m on the side of “don’t eff with the snake”

Snakes in Connecticut | Living | journalinquirer.com
    rw saunders
    everything is connected

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like a mature Milk snake to me.
    Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened.
    --Douglas Adams

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Went to escape my inbox for a few hours this morning. I was having a real nice time until my front tire burped during a high-G, high speed, bermed corner and put me on the deck. Apparently, 16 PSI is too low, even for my body weight.

My name is Hung | Instagram | Website/portfolio

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just started riding again after about 10 years-ish off the bike outside of commuting in Boston a bit 2010-2012ish.

Been really enjoying it so far. I'm glad that I didn't dump all of my stuff back then.

GF just moved to philly, so I've been exploring the roads around here. I just bought a wahoo bolt and used ridewithgps to map out a ride I found looking through a bunch of strava posts and it was awesome.

I'll have to figure out how to attach a picture. It won't let me for some reason.

Ride:

31.8 mi Ride Activity on May 24, 22 by Rishabh P. on Strava

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nora and I did our first ride together today.

For whatever reason she's gotten to where she won't ride the whole loop, she wants to walk parts of it. But that's okay.

Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
    If it means anything Darren, I’m on the side of “don’t eff with the snake”

Am I the only one who was a kid and taught the best thing to do in a situation like this is to get a stick and poke it to see what happens? If you hear a rattle, rattle snake, if not, something else.

It's not rocket science.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
    If it means anything Darren, Iím on the side of ďdonít eff with the snakeĒ

Exactly. Same markings. That was a timber. ;)
    Darnell Laventhrop, Curling Coach

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vertical_doug View Post
    Am I the only one who was a kid and taught the best thing to do in a situation like this is to get a stick and poke it to see what happens? If you hear a rattle, rattle snake, if not, something else.

It's not rocket science.
    Or "C" leave it alone and let it do it's snake thing, catching rodents and minding it's own business...
    Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened.
    --Douglas Adams

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mohawk-Hudson Bike Trail, Niskayuna New York

20200529_083510 by Tom Ambros, on Flickr

Then I heard a rattle and hightailed it out of there.
    Tom Ambros

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This was our mid ride beer stop surprise when we discovered that our county had moved to Phase 2 of reopening.
    Distanced beer was now available.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast