User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Velocipede Salon Is Growing Atmo -

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Velocipede Salon Is Growing Atmo -

hail too tall atmo.

somehow, and in some way, the salon has come a long way since a some 18 of us homesteaded our own little corner of the internet in 2007. within a year or two, folks found the place, started chatting with us, and here we are now almost 5 years on. the recent months have seen a huge spike in new names coming across the reg software and we thought it would be a nice ideer to have a thread dedicated to those who have recently arrived. we have the Welcome thread stuck on top of the general discussion board and some of you have piped in there. for this one, let's go deeper and see if some of the members with few to no posts (yet) could write some words about themselves, what they like and don't like, and how they found the V place atmo. don't be scared; just open up the reply window and show the laptop who's boss.

hey - thanks for reading.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Velocipede Salon Is Growing Atmo -

eh if you live near greenwich, westchestor, or nyc, let's get out and ride or more importantly have a beer.

don't be shy yo

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DarrenCT View Post
    eh if you live near greenwich, westchestor, or nyc, let's get out and ride or more importantly have a beer.

don't be shy yo
    winter haven or central florida too ....

thank you 18 originals,

ronnie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dear E-Richie, Too Tall, Jerk, Darren, et al.

I was a member across the hall for a long time, but sort of fell out of cycling about the time the Serotta forum drama(s) occurred. Spent the intervening few years changing a jobs a few times (consulting, car racing, editor at a magazine, back to consulting, and now in finance), having a couple of kids, and moving from the City to Northern Westchester. Still have the Pegoretti I bought from Chrisroph, and a MXL. My wife still rides her Vanilla and vintage Trek. With a three year-old and a 9 month-old, I'm not getting in the mileage I used to, but I am enjoying not having to ride the Grand Concourse or the GWB every time I want to go for a ride. And if I never ride the Central Park loop again, hey, that's ok!

BTW, any way to change my user name to match what it is across the hall, so people realize I'm the same person?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Edstrom View Post
    BTW, any way to change my user name to match what it is across the hall, so people realize I'm the same person?
    yo christian atmo - PM me with the name you want and i'll look into it. weren't you the cat who did the rally car racing? mazel tov on the family news.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh yeah, things I like:
    Merckx MXL
    Campy 1997 - 2009 shaped naughty wordnaughty wordnaughty wordnaughty wordnaughty wordnaughty wordnaughty words
    SSM Regals
    East side of the Fedaia Pass, with the view of the Marmolada
    Whey cheese in a tube (it's a northern Swedish thing)

What I don't like:
    SUVs on summer tires in the winter
    Fish on pizza
    People who lack accountability

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Greetings from the Nation's capital. I initially came across the Salon in my online wanderings to learn more about e-RICHIE's craftsmanship. Now I visit daily because of the breadth and depth of knowledge shared by the members about all facets of bicycles and other pursuits that can be done with style. I also appreciate the tone of the discourse, on topics serious and not, both in terms of civility and humor.

I like:
    Frames that allow a frame pump to be fitted along the non-drive-side seat stay.
    The performance enhancing benefits of espresso coffee and pickles (not in combination). Apparently, Caesar supplied his men with the latter for the same reason.
    Enjoying now some of the books assigned in high school that I willfully or ignorantly refused to read at the time.
    Motorcycles.
    The Pine Barrens.

I do not like:
    Bleeding old-style Magura brakes.
    Machined aluminum stems.
    The thread direction of Nikon camera mounts.
    Inattentiveness.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i am usually across the hall (bicycletricycle, wish it was same here but i messed it up somehow) but sometimes i lurk here.

i like bicycles.
    i am an industrial designer.
    i like making things.

last summer i rode my bike with the seat an inch too low for 150 miles in belgum and my knee got messed up, it is feeling a little better now, hopefully i can start doin some doubles again soon.

my favorite bike right now is my new IF built tournesol.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love this place. I love bikes. And I love the fact that the third thread on page one featured a discussion of the new Journey front man, The Clash talking shit about hippies, Dylan vs. the Carpenters, the Captain and Tenile muskrat song. I read that and knew I had found a home.

Thank you original 18 . . .

http://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum/f2/what-316.html

And welcome to all the new members. Hit me with a pm if you want to go for a ride. People here really do ride, unlike some other internet joints I've seen.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well then.

I'm Justin Bagnati. I'm 27 years old. I live in Greenwich, CT. I just moved here recently for work.

I'm getting married in July and have a 15 month old daughter named Raven. I grew up here in CT, in a smaller town Old Saybrook. I've traveled through most of the US and lived in many places in my few years.

I got my first job at a bike shop when i was 13. I now reside professionally at Signature Cycles in Greenwich, CT. So for a young guy I've actually been doing this for a while.

I currently have and Indy Fab XS with Dura Ace. I ride mostly by myself but do our shop ride each Sat and try to get out with someone once a week. I would like to do D2R2 this summer.

I hope to meet some new friends here and maybe do some more great riding.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

VSalon is one of those places that draws creative flies ;)

Rich alludes we are growing and it is noticeable thus the poke to all you LURKERS and (cough) GUESTS.

In the words of William Earl Collins:
    Well, all right, starchild
    Citizens of the universe, recording angels
    We have returned to claim the pyramids

*PS - BigRed is dead all hail BicycleTricycle. Done.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jbag011 View Post
    Well then.

I'm Justin Bagnati. I'm 27 years old. I live in Greenwich, CT. I just moved here recently for work.

I'm getting married in July and have a 15 month old daughter named Raven. I grew up here in CT, in a smaller town Old Saybrook. I've traveled through most of the US and lived in many places in my few years.

I got my first job at a bike shop when i was 13. I now reside professionally at Signature Cycles in Greenwich, CT. So for a young guy I've actually been doing this for a while.

I currently have and Indy Fab XS with Dura Ace. I ride mostly by myself but do our shop ride each Sat and try to get out with someone once a week. I would like to do D2R2 this summer.

I hope to meet some new friends here and maybe do some more great riding.

Awesome, welcome and I can tell we will be best mates soon!
    Dave Bradley...not the grumpy old Hogwarts caretaker "Mr. Filch" or the star of American Ninja 3 and 4.

formerly "Mr.President"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, I'm not new anymore, but I found this place over a year ago, and have found the people on this forum to be informed and informative, generous, and, in some cases, odd. As a result, I have acquired some likes and dislikes.

I like:

1. Tubulars. Thanks Zank and others for tips on the how-to's of mounting tubulars. I am a convert.
    2. New England micro brews. Didn't know the guys up there knew how to make some great beers.
    3. Wabi Woolens....nuff said.
    4. A newfound respect and admiration for tig welding.

I don't like:

1. The fact that I have to travel to Luxembourg to attend the Luxembourg national championships, which are held somewhere in Luxembourg, and are contested by Luxembourg nationals.
    2. Civil War re-enactors.
    3. Electric Bar-B-Que grills.

It's great to be hear.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Greetings Salonistas!

A little bit about me: I have ridden bikes all my life, starting with Huffys as a kid and a lowly Sears Free Spirit (is that what it was called?) as a teen. I was briefly on the Williams College cycling team (no try-outs required), and that was oh so many years ago! When I moved back to Texas I got into mountain bikes and did not ride a road bike for a long time. Ph.D. in literature, followed by two kids and an academic career (research and teaching). In the last couple of years I took up cx, road my first race, and have also become interested in road riding. I live in Austin, and the biking community here is very strong.

I found this site as I was searching for a custom frame builder to design and build a road bike for me. Have found a builder--Erik Rolf at Alliance--and have also found a great deal of bike knowledge, enthusiasm, and humor on Velocipede Salon. I don't spend a lot of time on internet forums, but I'll stop in here from time to time for a laugh, to learn something new, or to share.

I like: people who are passionate about their craft, whatever it may be; photography; coffee, beer, and martinis, in that order; a good turn of phrase.

Dislikes: people who do not know the limits of their own understanding.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by juanj View Post
    When I moved back to Texas...
    Welcome back, Brother.

Dislikes: people who do not know the limits of their own understanding
    I harbor the same dislike for your dislikes. Some laugh, but I think these are some of the wisest words ever spoken:

"There are known knowns. These are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say, there are things that we know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know."

Sure, the guy was a tool. Still a good point.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not too new, but new enough to feel compelled to identify myself in order to keep in good standing here at the alter of the divine bicycle wheel.

From my original say hello- little has changed other than my esteem for the fine folks who let me ask the silly questions and offer generous responses. I mean that- this place is the bee's knees. Gracias for the good place to come:

"I am a long time bike boy who is fascinated by builders (US Builders for the most part), and all sorts of bike culture. My interest in bikes dates back to the mid 80's when my father (non-sportsman) commented on the balls of LeMond to challenge the Blaireau- my father only reserved such reverence for intellectual activities and not physical pursuits. I was interested in bikes immediately and within 2 years I had my first job in a bike shop. Not long after I had a butt ugly tri-colored Pinarello Treviso as my first real bike and visited my first real frame shop….I was hooked.

I have a "thing" for New England based companies- my early years of biking are filled with lust for the Fat Chances, Ryhgin, Merlin (the ads featuring Carpenter and Twigg - I think- are hard coded in the memory bank) and the work done by the likes of FTW/Herting during the Golden Age of Yeti. I especially like those companies from the Boston area: IMHO it is the fertile crescent US Bike culture and that caused much of the evolution of modern biking. To witness this period of the early 90's was really special- some cool stuff was made!

Builders that I have soft spots for include many of you here at the Saloon:
    I prefer to gush at your awesomeness in person."

I am also in the process of finsihing the hand painted plates for un-sanctioned-under-ground bike race in the NYC/tri state area that I hope any local vsalon honches will feel compelled to show their inner Tomac on the course of my choice. Winner takes my bottle of wine and hand made trophy....More details to follow soon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

great to read the replies atmo.
    please sir may i have some more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I found this place early on. Don't know how I got here so early. My log on time is probably as high as many even if post count is way, way low.
    You guys are a treasure trove of all things. Another central florida resident who loves riding.

The President gives a "State of the Union" How about a "State of the Forum"...

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mnoble485 View Post

The President gives a "State of the Union" How about a "State of the Forum"...

Mike
    here's one that sums it up well atmo -

Hyman Roth: If I could only live to see it, to be there with you. What I wouldn't give for twenty more years! Here we are, protected, free to make our profits without Kefauver, the goddamn Justice Department and the F.B.I. ninety miles away, in partnership with a friendly government. Ninety miles! It's nothing! Just one small step, looking for a man who wants to be President of the United States, and having the cash to make it possible. Michael, we're bigger than U.S. Steel.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All right, I might as well pony up.

I'm a long time lurker and occasional poster. I've been around on some iteration of these forums since the hydromedia days. Back then, I was a research assistant applying to graduate school. Now, I'm a postdoc in clinical neuropsychology at UIowa. Finally, in a little over a year, I'll be able to land a big-boy job. Then, just maybe, I'll be able to plunk down the money for a new bike or 3.

Academic pursuits have moved me around the country a bunch - from Appleton, to Milwaukee, to Houston, to LA, and now to Iowa City. I raced some while in MKE, but was never very fast. Grad school cramped my riding considerably, but my bike (and wife) helped me get through grad school. I raced 'cross a few times during that period, and didn't finish last. I even met a few of you on the Serotta Forum/Velocipede Forum ride in LA in 11/09. Oh, and I rode with Cdub once in Houston, too.

Last summer, my wife and I moved to IC, and we are happy being back in the midwest. IC is a cool little town, and there's some friendly, and fast, riders here. I've been riding with a group again, and trying to remember how to endure the suffering of road races/crits. Not much success there, yet. I sure wish I had the genes and the time to dedicate to training so I could be less slow. We'll have to see how that unfolds, I guess. I'm really looking forward to 'cross season.

Things I like:
    - my wife. We toured the Moots factory on our honeymoon, and a few months later, we spent some of our wedding money on my Vamoots. She's a good'un.
    - The above mentioned Moots. And the IF Planet 'Cross I bought across the hall several years ago. And the tiny little Steelman I snatched up for my wife a few years back.
    - Beer, Wine, Whisk(e)y.
    - After living in super-sized cities with too much urban sprawl for the past many years, I'm really digging living in a small town again. I can be out on country roads within 5 minutes in one direction, and 20 minutes on the complete other side of town. Pretty rad.
    - The inspired conversation in this corner of the web, and the generosity of the fine folks that occupy this space and the one across the hall. Fine folks.

Things I don't like:
    - lots of work and stuff that gets in the way of riding.
    - people who half-wheel.
    Last edited by fmbp; 05-26-2011 at 12:11 PM. Reason: forgot something

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast