Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Value of Paramount?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Value of Paramount?

The owner of my LBS has a mid 80's Waterford Paramount frame and fork that he took in trade a while back. It's one of the standard diameter (not OS) Columbus tube models. He has had it for a while, and I looked it over carefully a while back. I really don't need it, so negotiations never went to far (how much do you want?... make me an offer). He's not sure what to ask and I'm not sure what to offer - or perhaps I'm not willing to offer what I think its worth.

My question is, what is a standard diameter tubed Waterford Paramount worth in the current market. Its pearl white and in very nice condition - I'd give it an 8.5/10 and I'm picky. A few years back, I'd have said $500-600 on eBay (i.e. top of the market). Now, I'm not sure.

Thanks in advance for your opinions,
    Sam

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Value of Paramount?

in the current market quality vintage steel frames are a dime a dozen, at least in the larger sizes i.e. 62cm-65cm. it amazes me the frames and complete bikes that go unsold on ebay in this size range. based purely on that i would say that the frame is worth something in the range of $250- $350 in the condition you stated. does it include a quality headset? one thing you want to consider is the rear spacing of the frame. you mention the mid 80"s.depending that was during the time when rear spacing went from 120 to 126 to 130. steel frames can be cold set to increase the rear spacing however the face of the rear dropouts becomes misaligned by a small amount. anyway that would be my thinking on value if i were buyng.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There was also a brief priod of 128 spacing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by alancw3 View Post
    ione thing you want to consider is the rear spacing of the frame. you mention the mid 80"s.depending that was during the time when rear spacing went from 120 to 126 to 130. steel frames can be cold set to increase the rear spacing however the face of the rear dropouts becomes misaligned by a small amount. anyway that would be my thinking on value if i were buyng.
    Does not seem much of an issue to me. Unless the OP is interested in vintage races, a frame like this is going to be built for fun not competition. There are plenty of great NOS and good used condition '80s vintage Campy Record hubs available on eBay and elsewhere. Phil Wood and Royce both still sell 127 hubs as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

re-spacing a rear triangle for new wheels on a steel frame is no work at all. With a frame of that vintage, it probably makes sense to check the dropouts for parallelism and make sure that the derailleur hangar is straight anyway.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sheldon brown's take on rear spacing:

Sheldon Brown's Bicycle Glossary Sp--Ss

also references his instructions on cold setting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rico View Post
    There was also a brief priod of 128 spacing.
    while 128 was never an "official" rear spacing some manufacturers hedged their bets at the time if you would by producing a rear spacing of 128. this was when 126 was still the recognied standard and 130 was just starting to be in use for road bikes i.e. 7 versus 8 speed. with 128 manufacturers could be flexible with what speeds they offered either 7 or 8 speed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm pretty certain that the rear spacing is 126, and I have a 7 speed mostly Chorus grouppo that would work. I also have dropout and derailleur hanger alignment tools to address any issues there... A headset is not included.. just frame and fork.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'd offer $350 or $400.