Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using an 11-32 on a mid-compact

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Using an 11-32 on a mid-compact

Anyone doing this? i normally ride with an 11-28 temporarily swapped out a long cage deralieur and an 11-32 for my upcoming trip to the french alps and la marmotte. on my gravel bike where the parts came from i use a compact perhaps because i ride the bikes differently I'm not really loving the wider gear gear ratios and the huge drops. doesn't feel as smooth. more like a nces doubt its the mid-compact in front but just the same wondering if anyone has a mid- and an 11-32 in the back. do you like this? -mike g

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Using an 11-32 on a mid-compact

Quote Originally Posted by fastupslowdown View Post
    Anyone doing this? i normally ride with an 11-28 temporarily swapped out a long cage deralieur and an 11-32 for my upcoming trip to the french alps and la marmotte. on my gravel bike where the parts came from i use a compact perhaps because i ride the bikes differently I'm not really loving the wider gear gear ratios and the huge drops. doesn't feel as smooth. more like a nces doubt its the mid-compact in front but just the same wondering if anyone has a mid- and an 11-32 in the back. do you like this? -mike g
    I'm not sure I get the gripe about the big jumps on a 32 for someone that's used to a 28. assuming you're on 11 speed there is only minimal difference between the two. On a SRAM cassette for example, they just trade in the 16 for the 32. All the other gears and jumps are exactly the same.

but mid-compact with an 11-32 wouldn't be my first choice. there are relatively few places I haven't been comfortable on a standard crank with 11-28 gears. if I was expecting a big week in the little ring/a sudden increase in my climbing volume, I'd probably just run the 50-34 with the 11-28 and be done with it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I run a wider cassette that that with a compact gearset using GS derailleurs.

For me it is about survivable climbing during loooooong rides. I'm not shooting for the fastest time but I am looking to not go below 65 rpms 'ish.

Do what you need to do boo.

PS - Shifting is on the money. Look at Sun Race cassettes, they are perfect.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zachateseverything View Post
    I'm not sure I get the gripe about the big jumps on a 32 for someone that's used to a 28. assuming you're on 11 speed there is only minimal difference between the two. On a SRAM cassette for example, they just trade in the 16 for the 32. All the other gears and jumps are exactly the same.

but mid-compact with an 11-32 wouldn't be my first choice. there are relatively few places I haven't been comfortable on a standard crank with 11-28 gears. if I was expecting a big week in the little ring/a sudden increase in my climbing volume, I'd probably just run the 50-34 with the 11-28 and be done with it.
    well the ratio is very similar. i'll give you that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The "road" wheelset for my gravel bike has an 11-28 to go with the 36/46 chainrings. I climb like a tandem and it's fine.
    I heart burnt bikes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

30/46 front and up to a 36 in the rear with a mid-cage Shimano RD. I'm a flatlander so when there are days upon days of climbing, this gets me through it. Better than when I was using 34/46, the 30/46 is a better mix.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fastupslowdown View Post
    Whenever I go to Europe, I agonize about this stuff. Then when I get there and get into the real mountains, basically my bike goes into the 34 & whatever the lowest 2-3 cogs are on the cassette and stays there.

I've seen your Strava, so I know you are a stronger climber than I am (who isn't?) Every bike I've ever ridden over there has been 50/34 & 11-28, and I've never felt like I had too many low gears. Quite the opposite. So I'd set up that way, then bring the 11-32 and a chain with quick links as security blanket. Leave the GS rear derailleur on - shouldn't screw up anything except adding weight.

But you've done this ride before, right? La Marmotte? What did you ride last time?

edit: The 11-28 is one cog steps until the 17 and then it is 2 cogs each step after. The 11-32 is one cog until the 14, then it is 2 cogs until the 22, then 3 cogs until the 28 and finally 4 cogs to the 32. So the jumps are bigger earlier in the cassette on the 11-32, and that is an adjustment. So if you can go to the 50/34, you can potentially keep the smaller jumps on the 11-28, as long as that gives you a low enough low.
    Last edited by j44ke; 4 Weeks Ago at 04:51 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I did the great trip to France a few years ago with TT and Lionel and others on this forum I put on a 13-29 10-speed cassette. Best move I ever made and I wished I had done this years before.

I now officially love the wide range cassettes. The bike I'll be riding tonight has an 11-28 and a custom blend 50/39 cassette. If I took it to Europe I wouldn't have any hesitation about putting on an 11-32, which is what is on my Indy Fab gravel bike and it gets used in the full range all the time.

Can't speak to the mid-compact but I had one once and didn't really like it. I didn't like the 16-tooth difference on the front and it never felt right in the big or small rings. I'd rather do a normal crank or a compact but that's just me.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For the Alps I would use 50/34 and 11-27 or 11-29.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Whenever I go to Europe, I agonize about this stuff. Then when I get there and get into the real mountains, basically my bike goes into the 34 & whatever the lowest 2-3 cogs are on the cassette and stays there.

I've seen your Strava, so I know you are a stronger climber than I am (who isn't?) Every bike I've ever ridden over there has been 50/34 & 11-28, and I've never felt like I had too many low gears. Quite the opposite. So I'd set up that way, then bring the 11-32 and a chain with quick links as security blanket. Leave the GS rear derailleur on - shouldn't screw up anything except adding weight.

But you've done this ride before, right? La Marmotte? What did you ride last time?

edit: The 11-28 is one cog steps until the 17 and then it is 2 cogs each step after. The 11-32 is one cog until the 14, then it is 2 cogs until the 22, then 3 cogs until the 28 and finally 4 cogs to the 32. So the jumps are bigger earlier in the cassette on the 11-32, and that is an adjustment. So if you can go to the 50/34, you can potentially keep the smaller jumps on the 11-28, as long as that gives you a low enough low.
    Never rode La Marmotte. I did La Vauajany which is held the week before last year. My Colnago is outfitted mid-compact and 11-28 normally. I rode that race just fine except for the last 100 feet at the end where ironically I ran out of gas as the grade hit 10% and I saw cobblestones. It could have been partially mental. The Marmotte has much more climbing than La Vaujany and back in 2015 I did the GFNY Ventoux race and had problems on the climb. It's not so much the gradient but the amount of time spent at the gradient. When I do Levy's Gran Fondo in October I'll do it in my normal configuration for sure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Highly recommend putting the 32 on. When we were in the french alps a couple of years ago I used a 52-36 with a 12-29. That was lower than my normal gearing for riding at home in the Mid-Atlantic region(53/39 12-29). At the end of a couple of the longer days I would have welcomed one lower gear.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mid compact with 11-32 is fitted on the bike that's arriving in a few weeks. I figure if I drop 10 pounds I can go up Mt. Washington on that thing.

My reasoning for the choice was that I want to be set up for very long days where there will be hills I do not want to jam my way up over, instead I want to stay well within myself, it'll make it more possible to complete the day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    I put on a 13-29 10-speed cassette. Best move I ever made and I wished I had done this years before.
    Such a great cassette! Should be more options for 11 speed that don't start with an 11 tooth

13-14-15-16-17-19-21-23-26-29

-g
    EPOst hoc ergo propter hoc

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GrantM View Post
    Such a great cassette! Should be more options for 11 speed that don't start with an 11 tooth

13-14-15-16-17-19-21-23-26-29

-g
    agree.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well turns out the big reason shift quality was worse , was due to bent rear derailleur hanger. Still a mystery how that happened.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Massive quads?
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe switch to a compact crank with 11-28 instead. similar result with smaller jumps.
    Instagram- BlackOakVelo

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yes it would. would lose some top end. i'm not staying in this configuration for long though. its only something for the alps.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good timing - after buggering my back, my Ventoux trip is going to come around with nowhere near as much training as I would have managed before (I had the best part of 6-weeks off the bike, and have only been back at it very half-heartedly for the last 2-weeks); and I’m contemplating gear plans.

I’m currently running 52/36 with an 11-30t cassette; and I rarely touch the 30. I could do without buying a new full set of Dura-Ace chainrings or a new cassette (although I would gladly buy a 105 cassette, I’m not precious there), so I’m contemplating whether I can get away with riding what I’ve got - especially now that it’s highly unlikely I’ll be anywhere near fit enough to do the Cinglés.

The other option that I know some have tried is replacing the 36 inner ring with a 34. It’s not pretty, but I’m told it works well enough. I might take one with me and change to it if I struggle.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My road bike has a 52/36 front and an 11/28 rear. I've climbed just about everything I need to on it, including 15%+ grades that go steady for a mile or more. I'm going to put an 11/32 cassette on when it comes time to replace the chain. I'd rather have the option to spin a higher cadence up the steep stuff.

On my CX bike, which is more of an all-road bike at this point, I run a 46/34 front with an 11/32 rear and it's awesome. I kind of wish I'd gone for the 34t cassette on it. Big range is nice, and I don't think the gaps between gears are a big deal.