Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upgrading tools...questions about high priced common tools

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Upgrading tools...questions about high priced common tools

So for years my tool collection has been a total mish mash of old mulitools,non bike tools etc.Looking to put together a solid collection.So am I missing something on the price of some Torx/Hex sets range from Silca pricing to 1/4 price for a nice Bondhus set.This is only one example....thoughts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Upgrading tools...questions about high priced common tools

There was a thread a few years ago that prompted me to get a Wera Hex Plus set. No regrets. I see them lasting a long time with my non-shop level of use.

I'm curious to see where this thread goes. I'd love to know what some good options are for folks who aren't pro mechanics but enjoy quality tools.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wera's are nice. I have an imperial, metric and torx from them and use them all the time. PBSwiss is also very nice. A good friend gifted me a metric set that came in a carrier with a strong magnet on the back. It's stuck to my lathe and they're absolutely my go-to allens every single day. I have their T-handles too from 2.5-8mm and while they're very nice and feel great, the lack of knurling has turned out to be quite a bummer in the winter with dry hands, or if they get oily. My advice - if you're going to get T-handles, make sure the main shaft has some kind of texture. I also have PBSwiss 1/4 drive bits for my low torque (up to 15NM) torque wrench and couldn't be happier with them. They have very nice tolerances so when you're taking the aluminum Shimano brake lever bolts up to torque, they don't damage them, unlike some cheap bits which can be quite a bit more undersized.

https://www.pbswisstools.com/en/tool.../pb-212h-5-rb/
    Sean Chaney
    www.vertigocycles.com
    a peek behind the curtain

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Silca tool hexs are far superior to bondhus. Check out KCtools.com. It is a German tool supplier. Just about everything on the site is super nice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
    Check out KCtools.com. It is a German tool supplier. Just about everything on the site is super nice.
    Yup to this - a great outfit and they have regular sales.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another vote for the Wera Hex Plus. There's a YouTube video showing how much better they are than standard hex keys, they can transmit way more torque before rounding out the fastener. And they're not terribly pricey.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been eyeing a Wera Kraftform Kompakt Zyklop Mini set, ever since I picked one up and listened to the ratchet click.

I keep meaning to buy some JIS screwdrivers for derailleur (and other things) work. Nothing like those stupid derailleur limit screws to make you hate your non-JIS screwdrivers.

I think I am probably going to get Shimano's wacky quick-link tool, because like most of the rest of Shimano, it just works.

Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice tools are nice. They're like riding DuraAce: once you're passionate enough about what you're using and you've tried the best it's difficult to go backwards.

Having said that if you're only using them occasionally and not obsessed with the finer details you might as well get 105 or Ultegra level tools. There are plenty of great tools out there at reasonable prices. In general steer away from most of the Park stuff (with a few exceptions) and buy mainstream non-cycling brands of 'generic' tools rather than their bike equivalents.

If you develop a taste for good tool then you'll find your own preferences and start searching out the esoteric stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cheap bits suck.
    Cheap adjustable wrenches suck.
    Cheap measuring devices suck.
    Cheap specialized tools suck (buying a budget QC30 collet was a huge mistake).

I'm OK with cheap everything else.
    elysian
    Tom Tolhurst

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For general tools - hex wrenches and bits, sockets, screwdrivers, pliers, etc. I look outside the bike tool companies. Lots of good brands have been mentioned here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tristan View Post
    Nice tools are nice. They're like riding DuraAce: once you're passionate enough about what you're using and you've tried the best it's difficult to go backwards.

Having said that if you're only using them occasionally and not obsessed with the finer details you might as well get 105 or Ultegra level tools. There are plenty of great tools out there at reasonable prices. In general steer away from most of the Park stuff (with a few exceptions) and buy mainstream non-cycling brands of 'generic' tools rather than their bike equivalents.

If you develop a taste for good tool then you'll find your own preferences and start searching out the esoteric stuff.
    That sums it up for me! If you want the bling go for it, if not save some $ and use a level/step below the most premium priced tools which more than likely last a lifetime with non-shop use.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some tools you can buy "just fine" in low quality. Others it's worth it to pay more.
    On recommendation of this board I once bought these pliers, and they work so incredibly well:
    https://www.lowes.com/pd/knipex-s-wr...E&gclsrc=aw.dsnapon

edit: for me Knipex is the German Snap-on.
    Last edited by rabo; 10-02-2019 at 05:53 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unlike pretty much everyone else here, I'm not a great mechanic. However, I'm picky as sh*t about tools. 90% of the time I won't even use a hex wrench because my torque wrench and bit set is only 50 feet away.

As others have noted, KCTool is the place to buy tools (on sale). While I'll probably evolve a lot more as people here turn me on to cool tools, I'm pretty much moving to Wera on any tool/bit that they offer, and to Knipex on pretty much anything *they* offer. I'm also moving from hex to Torx on every bolt as I start to round it out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by saltland View Post
    So am I missing something on the price of some Torx/Hex sets range from Silca pricing to 1/4 price for a nice Bondhus set.This is only one example....thoughts.
    I'm a fan of the sliding "T" allen keys, from Beta (Italy) or the fixed T version by Gedore (Germany)

Beta at Amazon
    Gedore at KC tool
    EPOst hoc ergo propter hoc

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Go Wiha for screwdrivers. And if you ride Japanese components, look for JIS Phillips screwdrivers--got a Hozan set on eBay last year. Always wondered why my European and American Phillips drivers wanted to walk out of Shimano limit screws!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by defspace View Post
    There was a thread a few years ago that prompted me to get a Wera Hex Plus set. No regrets. I see them lasting a long time with my non-shop level of use.

I'm curious to see where this thread goes. I'd love to know what some good options are for folks who aren't pro mechanics but enjoy quality tools.
    I did the same thing. I don't question that purchase ever.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First time I've seen this and my immediate thought is "must have," but it's >$50.00. Probably worth it, but I'm refraining for now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry to be contrary to my pal Joost, but the Silca sets are so far out of line price-wise that it is stupid. I have the Wera hex and allen sets, as well as the Silca sets and the Weras are functionally superior at a reasonable price. Buy the stuff off that German tool site, is my advice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like the Wera set, I've got a set of PB Swiss (PB 212LH-10) that are pretty nice too though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I own a few nice things and appreciate them every time I use them, knipex pliers (bought while touring in germany), wera driver, and wera hex plus allen keys. I dont need everything to be nice though. I will say the Knipex pliers might be the best buy, they saved me from doing things sketchier with other tools, and makes more of a difference than using Wera over Bondhus hex wrenches.
    --------------------
    another jaunt
    REBAR

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast