User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: UCI standards on disc brakes and axel specifications for road competition 2017 and on

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default UCI standards on disc brakes and axel specifications for road competition 2017 and on

Does someone have a link to the article with the official specifications? As per what I have read, the UCI is pushing disc brake specifications for road competition through rather rapidly with some manufacturers caught off guard by certain UCI specifications. Certainly the decision to mandate 160mm thru axle discs are one, while many manufacturers have already brought to market 140mm disc capable quick release. And the reversal to go with a 15mm thru axle front instead of a 12mm thru axle front has put some manufacturers in the lurch as well since companies like Scott and Enve have been early adopters of a 12mm thru axle front. The argument from Trek was that a 15mm thru axle front standard is already the current overwhelming standard in MTB and CX bikes and front hubs are already plentiful in the 15mm front axle standard without hub a 12mm end-cap modification.

So, potentially we have for discs...
    Front axle - 100 x 15mm
    Rear axle - 142 x 12mm

Front disc diameter - 160mm
    Rear disc diameter - 160mm

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: UCI standards on disc brakes and axel specifications for road competition 2017 an

I'm not sure these disc diameter / axle type will be enforced mandatory rules, especially for amateurs in 2017. I understood it as the specs neutral service course will have to carry in worldtour races. If one rider decide to go out of spec, he is on his own regarding neutral service. It really concern a very small fraction of amateur races.

Still, there is plenty of time for manufacturers to design 2017 models accordingly
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: UCI standards on disc brakes and axel specifications for road competition 2017 an

Hm....this is kinda interesting.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The UCI technical regulations are freely available on the UCI website. Latest version following the press release is available here.

Note that article 1.3.017 regarding width between dropouts has been updated accordingly. There is nothing about axle standards which as I understood was a recommendation from the disc brake commission and not a rule per se. I checked the press release and it talks about an extension of a trial of disc brakes in a view to allow it in 2017 for professional riders only. It is critical to know it is not a definite decision which mean they can decide at any moment to drop the trial and ban them again in the middle of the season.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will be in the wait and see camp. Campy also announced support for discs for their pro team as early as Jan as expected .

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

160 rear? that cannot be right.
    Nick Crumpton
    crumptoncycles.com
    Instagram
    "Tradition is a guide, not a jailer" —Justin Robinson

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lionel, you are not racing AFAIK.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by acorn View Post
    Does someone have a link to the article with the official specifications? As per what I have read, the UCI is pushing disc brake specifications for road competition through rather rapidly with some manufacturers caught off guard by certain UCI specifications. Certainly the decision to mandate 160mm thru axle discs are one, while many manufacturers have already brought to market 140mm disc capable quick release. And the reversal to go with a 15mm thru axle front instead of a 12mm thru axle front has put some manufacturers in the lurch as well since companies like Scott and Enve have been early adopters of a 12mm thru axle front. The argument from Trek was that a 15mm thru axle front standard is already the current overwhelming standard in MTB and CX bikes and front hubs are already plentiful in the 15mm front axle standard without hub a 12mm end-cap modification.

So, potentially we have for discs...
    Front axle - 100 x 15mm
    Rear axle - 142 x 12mm

Front disc diameter - 160mm
    Rear disc diameter - 160mm
    My understanding is that if you have q.r. you can still convert to thru-axle later. Is this correct?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    Lionel, you are not racing AFAIK.
    What's your point ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We are talking about an UCI decision which concern worltour, pro continental, continental and womens professionnals only.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fastupslowdown View Post
    My understanding is that if you have q.r. you can still convert to thru-axle later. Is this correct?
    Some frames have convertibles dropouts, other do not. Some hubs are convertibles (most of them), others (shimano for instance) aren't. It really depends. The fork would need to be changed.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We are talking about an UCI decision which concern worltour, pro continental, continental and womens professionnals only.
    And will concern me potentially a year later.

Campagnolo, Specialized say they will be ready for disc brakes in 2016 pro peloton | Cyclingnews.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A campy official told me spring for the consumers. I'm eagerly waiting on them for my festka.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A campy official told me spring for the consumers. I'm eagerly waiting on them for my festka.
    I will be a v2 or v3 user I think.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by crumpton View Post
    Probably for heat dissipation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by crumpton View Post

Less SKU's.
    Will Neide (pronounced Nighty, like the thing worn to bed)

Webpage : : Flickr : : Tumblr : : Facebook
    Instagram: wilco_cycleworks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i go through 1-2 sets of front blocks per year on my rim brake road bike. maybe 3-4 years for rear blocks...

whats the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by P∆VE View Post
    Probably for heat dissipation.
    Nick Crumpton
    crumptoncycles.com
    Instagram
    "Tradition is a guide, not a jailer" —Justin Robinson

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lionel View Post
    I will be a v2 or v3 user I think.
    I'm pretty sure if there are big issues with gen 1 v2 will be sent to early consumers like SRAM did. I'll keep a set of spyres just in case I need to revert back for a few months. They still brake better than rim brakes imho. I may be naïve or to supportive of campagnolo yet I understand your strategy.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Will Neide View Post
    Less SKU's.
    This I think.

It may change in the future remember it is a trial.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

trial and error

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast