User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: UCI standards on disc brakes and axel specifications for road competition 2017 and on

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: UCI standards on disc brakes and axel specifications for road competition 2017 an

I hope 12mm axles go away, I look forward to all of my bikes using the same axle standards again. 15mmx100 and 12x142 are already in place and work well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: UCI standards on disc brakes and axel specifications for road competition 2017 an

SRAM 140 rotors did not do so well in Utah.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if this and the 160 spec is true then flatmount seems a tad...

Quote Originally Posted by dashDustin View Post
    Nick Crumpton
    crumptoncycles.com
    Instagram
    "Tradition is a guide, not a jailer" —Justin Robinson

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The real issue is neutral support, and hence teams, have to know what standards will be in place, not just recommendations. For example, if Contador gets a flat and is not able to get a wheel from his team car, then he must rely on the race neutral support. What happens when his bike with 140mm disc wheels do not accept the 160mm disc wheels from the neutral support?

Another example. Cavendish flats and his Scott frame/fork which accepts a 100 x 12mm front axle can't get a front wheel from his team car. He has to rely on the race's neutral wheel support and they only have 100 x 15mm thru axle front wheels. This is a real scenario and one reason why Trek decided to stick with the more common 100 x 15mm thru axle standard. You just can't change end caps on a 15mm thru axle hub to a 12mm thru axle hub midway through a race.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dashDustin View Post
    What happened in Utah? For those of us that don't know.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by acorn View Post
    What happened in Utah? For those of us that don't know.
    I'm not referring to the race.

But 140 rotors weren't capable of dissipating the heat quick enough on the road. Trail, sure. Road, not so much.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

What about the safety of the disc itself, will there be a UCI or industry standard?

I'm thinking of a smooth outer diameter, not a sawtooth, with a radiused edge, would be a good idea.
    Tödd Höllând

Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring. -- Desmond Tutu

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I confess...I am looking forward to the clu$terfuck....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Oh good heavens you mechanical monster....how long will it take to get a wheel change?"

"Sensors indicate approximately 20 minutes"
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It won't take much longer than with lawyer tabs.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    the thru axle threads pitch is that coarse that a few rotations and you can yank it out?

I haven't had the pleasure of playing with TA yet.
    Matt Moore
    @hellafabrication
    www.instagram.com/Hellafabrication

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post

True. At least with lawyer tabs, a mechanic can file those things off and you would essentially be free of the lawyer tabs slowing down your wheel change on a quick-release bike. Not really sure there is a way to speed up the time-consuming winding/screw-on action to get a thru-axle wheel on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

UCI regulations do not allow that anymore.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why are they going 140x12? Couldnt the added width cause issues for some riders with certain foot positions and foot size? I mean, I like through axles and all, but IDK. Is it just for extra brake caliper clearance?
    --------------------
    another jaunt
    REBAR

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No it is about self centering rotors which is good for fast wheel changes. It doesn't change anything in term of foot size/position.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by s_curran View Post
    Why are they going 140x12? Couldnt the added width cause issues for some riders with certain foot positions and foot size? I mean, I like through axles and all, but IDK. Is it just for extra brake caliper clearance?

Actually, 142mm wide rear is what I think you meant. And, I know this sounds weird, but 142mm wide rear is identical to 135mm wide in terms of cog spacing width. It's kinda hard to explain and everytime I do, I only confuse more people. Essentially, the widths and important stuff means that with all important parameters...
    142mm rear = 135mm rear.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by acorn View Post
    Actually, 142mm wide rear is what I think you meant. And, I know this sounds weird, but 142mm wide rear is identical to 135mm wide in terms of cog spacing width. It's kinda hard to explain and everytime I do, I only confuse more people. Essentially, the widths and important stuff means that with all important parameters...
    142mm rear = 135mm rear.
    tell them the axle sits further into the dropout to set in place because the skewer doesn't hold it in.
    Matt Moore
    @hellafabrication

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They're specifying dropout and axle, right? Not necessarily thread pitch? Focus' RAT system is pretty damn awesome, compared to the alternative.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got it, thanks, I wasn't aware of the way it sits in the dropouts, in which case, cool. I was thinking 7mm less heal clearance.
    --------------------
    another jaunt
    REBAR

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by s_curran View Post
    Got it, thanks, I wasn't aware of the way it sits in the dropouts, in which case, cool. I was thinking 7mm less heal clearance.
    heal clearance will be the frame design and really has no relation when comparing these two axle types.
    Matt Moore
    @hellafabrication

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast