User Tag List

Thread: Two ride recommendations needed: 1) West/central NY & 2) Eastern Seaboard

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Two ride recommendations needed: 1) West/central NY & 2) Eastern Seaboard

OK, gang, I need two ride recommendations; will have the Serotta - rim brakes (*gasp*) & 32mm tires:

-1st: I need a good ride anywhere between Buffalo, NY and Burlington, Vermont. I am flying my wife & baby to VT Saturday night and wanna do a quick-ish ride as I drive over there to meet them. I.e. probably not a century in the Adirondacks or something. Seeing as I'll have plenty of steeps to ride all week in Vermont, maybe nice views of Lake Ontario? A finger lake? A good swim nearby? What do you know?

-2nd: For the latter leg of the trip ca. July 31 I'm again putting the fam on a plane to meet me back in NC, thus I could also use a good ride anywhere along the eastern seaboard or ~150 miles inland between Portland, ME and VA. I am currently eyeing something between Delaware Water Gap, PA, Bucks County, PA, or Amish country PA. But open to suggestions. I usually try to avoid Boston, NYC, Philly, Baltimore, and DC and take the inland route back to NC, but again I am open to convincing.

I would also dig riding with a Salonista on this leg, ca. 7/31 or 8/1 (can I camp in your yard, too?) if you promise not to judge me for being 33 and somewhat fit but still pretty slow.

Many thanks,

John Z.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Two ride recommendations needed: 1) West/central NY & 2) Eastern Seaboard

I'm in Buffalo but have spent a lot of time traveling around New York State. The road riding in the finger lakes and Ithaca is really good, that would probably be my first suggestion. The two lane highways around the lakes can get pretty busy but have some great views and are all lined with wineries. I've thought this might be dangerous to ride, but I know people like it The roads in between Seneca and Cayuga lakes have some really nice roads and terrain. An Ithaca - Watkins Glen - Trumansburg loop would be pretty sweet depending on your time frame. The areas south of Buffalo are really fun, but given the option I would rather ride the finger lakes. Up towards Oswego there are also some nice roads on the shore of Lake Ontario if that's something you're really interested in, but there aren't towns with a ton going on. Oswego is a kinda dumpy and kinda charming college town where I spent four years of my life. Fairhaven is a pretty nice blink of a town with a restaurant, a store or two and a state beach that has some decent camping.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Two ride recommendations needed: 1) West/central NY & 2) Eastern Seaboard

While you are Burlington, go out an do some variation of the six gap.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've ridden around Bristol and Naples in the Finger Lakes area, I thought the roads were great but that was a few years ago so I don't have current info on which ones might be getting worked on these days. The Highlander Century site probably has routes you can poach. I've been up fishing in the Pulaski area and thought some of the roads looked interesting but never ventured there on a bike. Some day I'm going to go up to the St. Lawrence valley on the other side of the Adirondacks to see what I can see.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So many great rides in western/central NY! You can start many of these rides within a 1/2 hour drive of the NY State Thruway (I90). Here's some links:

Tour de Loop race course in Oswego: ROC TDL MAP.pdf - Google Drive
    Tour de Perry long course: Tour de Perry - Letchworth Loop - A bike ride in Perry, NY
    Onondaga Cycling Club routes in central/western NY: Ride Maps – Onondaga Cycling Club
    ADA Tour de Cure CNY route maps: American Diabetes Association: 2018 Tour de Cure: CNY

Please let me know if you have any questions!

Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I enjoy riding in the Finger Lakes area too, here a few routes I enjoy (you can easily add distance to these if desired):

Trumansburg-Odessa loop - A bike ride in Trumansburg, New York (sections between Odessa and Rt. 79 are smooth dirt)
    Ithaca-Candor loop - A bike ride in Ithaca, New York (this is all road, but there is apparently some good MTB around Shindagen Hollow)
    Moravia Skaneateles - A bike ride in Moravia, NY

You can also do a nice loop around Keuka Lake (the Y-shaped one), which is about 55 mi. IIRC.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Riding around Otisco lake outside of Skaneateles is a lot of fun. Especially between Otisco lake and Skaneateles lake. There are some great, great climbs coming up from Otisco heading west towards Skaneateles. Plus some good food and fun town (Skaneateles). If you want more hills, stick south of the 90. Flat, head north. Bristol/Naples is fun, but I'd rather ride a few lakes to the East. Easy to swim too. Plus there are some waterfalls west of Skaneateles lake that are fun to take a dip in/ creek walk.

Like Jon said, there is also good terrain south of Buffalo, but it's not really on the way to VT/ quite a ways off the 90. I've never ridden in Ithaca, but it is definitely a placed I'd like to check out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    Riding around Otisco lake outside of Skaneateles is a lot of fun. Especially between Otisco lake and Skaneateles lake. There are some great, great climbs coming up from Otisco heading west towards Skaneateles.
    Church Hill and Moon Hill are my least favorite local climbs. Doesn't stop me from occasionally riding them, but they're never fun...

.9 km Ride Segment in Skaneateles, NY on Strava
    .8 km Ride Segment in Skaneateles, New York on Strava
    1.2 km Ride Segment in Spafford, NY on Strava

Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks everyone. Clicking away at those linkies...

Quote Originally Posted by vertical_doug View Post
    While you are Burlington, go out an do some variation of the six gap.
    LOL. My wife did her Master's at Breadloaf - I've ridden one gap (Middlebury) a lot of times. Lincoln .98 times (note the decimal), and Bristol Notch many times. I don't think I've done any of the others yet; weather starting to look foul next week, so it remains to be seen how much riding is gonna happen in VT. I will have better gearing this summer than summers past with a 32t inner ring now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gregl View Post
    Church Hill and Moon Hill are my least favorite local climbs. Doesn't stop me from occasionally riding them, but they're never fun...

Greg
    Church Hill is great, com'on! Man, I didn't know it is 14% ave grade... damn. It's been a few years since I've been in the area. That Moon Hill one looks pretty good too!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The thing about Bucks County/Amish (Lancaster) area...there are no flats. None. You are slogging up or screaming down. The river valleys offer some relief. If you hit the area around Bethlehem, you can stop by the Lehigh Valley Velodrome, which is a steeply banked outdoor track. Very cool. There is also the tour of the Martin Guitar factory in Nazareth. Which is worth the stop if you love the smell of freshly cut maple, cedar, rosewood, spruce, etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've always loved the route of the Baltimore Cycling Club's Civil War Century: Civil War Century - A bike ride in Thurmont, MD. Lots of climbing, beautiful roads, unique history.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Update: thanks to all who posted up... heres what I did. Apologies to New Yorkers in advance. The way the weather was shaping up, I woke up at my camp site by the Erie canal (I am gonna orchestrate a little tour for my family on this thing some day...) At first light and hightailed it to Vermont so I could get some riding in there before the Champlain Valley got slammed. I got Lincoln gap on a 50 miler Saturday (oof) and then the weather hit Sunday, though I did manage to get out for another ride and got Middlebury and Brandon Gaps on Tuesday morning. I hope to get App Gap by the end of the week. I still felt outgunned on Lincoln with 32x28 gearing. I may not do that one again without 1:1.

Still looking for an Eastern Seaboard plan.

Quote Originally Posted by verbs4us View Post
    The thing about Bucks County/Amish (Lancaster) area...there are no flats. None. You are slogging up or screaming down. The river valleys offer some relief. If you hit the area around Bethlehem, you can stop by the Lehigh Valley Velodrome, which is a steeply banked outdoor track. Very cool. There is also the tour of the Martin Guitar factory in Nazareth. Which is worth the stop if you love the smell of freshly cut maple, cedar, rosewood, spruce, etc.

Slog up/scream down... What kinda grades we talking? That unfun or nice rollers?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zambenini View Post
    Slog up/scream down... What kinda grades we talking? That unfun or nice rollers?
    Slog up/scream down... What kinda grades we talking? That unfun or nice rollers?[/QUOTE]

Rollers, but steep ones and like regular sine waves. The good news is, you're out of the saddle 50% of the time, so some relief for your sit bonz. Many of the hills in the Leigh Valley and Lancaster areas have what we called "false tops"--you feel like you're about to crest the hill, and you hit that spot and look up--and it goes up a bit further and you see the spot where it must crest, and you hit that spot, and it keeps going up. One false top after another, so it builds mental toughness. Or you break for lunch early. The air is clean and the farmland peaceful, so a bad day on the rollers is better than a good day in the office.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are you still planning to ride back to NC?
    I'm thinking East Coast Greenway for the return route.
    East Coast Greenway Map

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh, man, Josh, wish I was riding.... Just have time for a quick ride en route (whilst driving back to NC). Want to get out? I'd love to meet the Salon Head Cheese.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zambenini View Post
    Oh, man, Josh, wish I was riding.... Just have time for a quick ride en route (whilst driving back to NC). Want to get out? I'd love to meet the Salon Head Cheese.
    He!!s yes. If I'm in town I'll meet you (wherever) reasonable for a lovely ride. Just don't make me ride uphill all day long, I'm growing adverse. Getting lost, on the other hand is strongly encouraged.

I've got all sorts of routes here or close to here.
    Here is a quick shot at my shed-u-all
    August 2 > 5 not avail.
    August 12 not avail.
    August 15 > 19 not avail.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PM sent about meeting up 8/1.