User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which tubulars are best for repairing...?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Which tubulars are best for repairing...?

The Internet didn't exist when I last rode singles (tubulars), my race tyres of choice then were Vittoria silks, trained on whatever was cheap but mostly Continentals and cheaper Vittorias. Just for the hell of it I recently built up some wheels and fitted Corsa CX's, first ride and I didn't get 10k up the road before flatting the rear and this was with me being paranoid and brushing the tyres regularly, such is life.

Unfortunately I found the CX hard to repair, in terms of getting the base tape off cleanly. The base tape is almost 'vulcanised' to the tyre and it's quite a tricky operation getting everything apart cleanly, certainly far more difficult than I remember of good quality tyres 25 years ago.

Back then we used to wait until we had a bunch of flats to repair then spend a night in front of the telly fixing tyres and watching soaps... ;O)

Are there any recommendations for tubulars that are well constructed but also relatively straightforward to repair?

Appreciate this will likely receive a broad range of suggestions, but thank you.

Cheers, Ed

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Which tubulars are best for repairing...?

Quote Originally Posted by Edg View Post
    The Internet didn't exist when I last rode singles (tubulars), my race tyres of choice then were Vittoria silks, trained on whatever was cheap but mostly Continentals and cheaper Vittorias. Just for the hell of it I recently built up some wheels and fitted Corsa CX's, first ride and I didn't get 10k up the road before flatting the rear and this was with me being paranoid and brushing the tyres regularly, such is life.

Unfortunately I found the CX hard to repair, in terms of getting the base tape off cleanly. The base tape is almost 'vulcanised' to the tyre and it's quite a tricky operation getting everything apart cleanly, certainly far more difficult than I remember of good quality tyres 25 years ago.

Back then we used to wait until we had a bunch of flats to repair then spend a night in front of the telly fixing tyres and watching soaps... ;O)

Are there any recommendations for tubulars that are well constructed but also relatively straightforward to repair?

Appreciate this will likely receive a broad range of suggestions, but thank you.

Cheers, Ed
    Veloflex are just like the old tires you remember and can be repaired. I did it once a few years ago successfully and got another 1000 miles or so out of the tire. I think Vittoria and Continental would be virtually impossible to repair these days.

I think Challenge and FMB would be like Veloflex but I've never tried to repair those. But I know with Veloflex it is possible.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vittoria are nearly impossible to de-construct. They are very good tires and tirealert can repair them for you.

Like Jimbo says, Veloflex are awesome tires and easy to repair. Nothing to not love about them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Veloflex, FMB, Dugast.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lionel hits the list of classic-construction tubulars. I'll add that Continental Competition are of standard construction and can be repaired; as can the Servizio Corsa (3-for-$50) tubulars from Yellow Jersey in Madison, WI. I've only used the latter as spares, but I've been relatively impressed with their roundness, accepting that a 127-tpi tub is not going to feel like a 320-tpi tub.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can add the Gommitalia. I believe they are made by veloflex.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    Veloflex are just like the old tires you remember and can be repaired. I did it once a few years ago successfully and got another 1000 miles or so out of the tire. I think Vittoria and Continental would be virtually impossible to repair these days.

I think Challenge and FMB would be like Veloflex but I've never tried to repair those. But I know with Veloflex it is possible.
    My Conti Comps were just as easy to repair as my FMBs. I could see Vittoria's being a pain in the ass though. Challenge would be easy I think, but Stans fixed my holes for me there.
    Auk's words to live by:
    Blow up and pin a picture of M. Bartoli on your wall. When you achieve that position, stop. Until then, stretch, ride, stretch, ride, eat less, and ride more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

any of you guys repaired an FMB PR tyre?
    mine seemed to have the basetape sewed on somehow...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cookietruck View Post
    any of you guys repaired an FMB PR tyre?
    mine seemed to have the basetape sewed on somehow...
    All of them have the basetape stitched on with a chainstitch. Cut it and unthread gently -- it'll unravel like a sweater. Easy to re-sew.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just curious - how many people here repair their own tubulars? Sounds like Christian does - others?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Just curious - how many people here repair their own tubulars? Sounds like Christian does - others?
    I've done mebbe 6 or so. Then became lazy and sent 4 or more into Tire Alert. Then I became even lazier and started using Stans to seal my leaks. Now, I have a few sitting outside that can probably go to Tire Alert - but I may just throw them out because I'm sometimes overly optimistic about how many more miles I can get out of it and not sure if $30/tire is worth the repair.
    Auk's words to live by:
    Blow up and pin a picture of M. Bartoli on your wall. When you achieve that position, stop. Until then, stretch, ride, stretch, ride, eat less, and ride more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've only popped one that was really new in the last decade. The rest of mine that have gone have been worn pretty thin and not worth repairing. Maybe we need someone to do retreads instead of tube replacement.

Oh, it's probably been 15 years since I repaired a punctured tubular. That newish one I blew was from a 6D nail and torched the tread and casing as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    I've done a few. It gets to be easy pretty quickly. I did the last one while bs'ing at a bar with (understanding) friends.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by christian View Post
    All of them have the basetape stitched on with a chainstitch. Cut it and unthread gently -- it'll unravel like a sweater. Easy to re-sew.
    I've never seen a base tape that was sewn on. Glue is all that holds it in place - usually latex. Are you refering to the satin inner layer between the tube and the stitching on the tire casing?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lukasz View Post
    I've done a few. It gets to be easy pretty quickly. I did the last one while bs'ing at a bar with (understanding) friends.
    Sipping whiskey pairs well with tubular repairs - bonus if a fireplace is involved.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Used to finance my riding with repairing tubulars.

Only tires I have repaired in the last 2 years was a veloflex p-r and one of those hard to get 27mm Conti Competitions.
    It would have to be a really special or new tire nowadays for me to do it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ones without holes in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by christian View Post
    For clarity least someone misinterpret. He is saying don't ever cut the basetape, only cut the thread that is sewn through the basetape holding it to the tire carcass. Now I need a beer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    For clarity least someone misinterpret. He is saying don't ever cut the basetape, only cut the thread that is sewn through the basetape holding it to the tire carcass.
    where do i put the sewing machine?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    For clarity least someone misinterpret. He is saying don't ever cut the basetape, only cut the thread that is sewn through the basetape holding it to the tire carcass. Now I need a beer.
    Just curious why I couldn't see your post when HEJ's posts were blocked. Gliche? I unblocked anyway as I couldn't take the suspense anymore, but it was a fun experiment.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast