Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tubeless Tires... you need this... the Dynaplug

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tubeless Tires... you need this... the Dynaplug

I bought this tool for R2C. It is made by Dynaplug and essentially it is a tire plug. And it is awesome. We had probably 4 flats on tubeless tires that we used the dynaplug and it worked like a charm. Just jam it into the hole pull out and it is sealed. That simple. In fact we had a 1/4 inch gash in a side wall which we sealed using 3 plugs. Highly recommend this product.

Dynaplug(R) Tubeless Tire Puncture Repair Tools and Accessories

Last edited by joosttx; 09-10-2017 at 11:07 PM.
    ***Instagram***
    my name is Houston

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Tubeless Tires... you need this... the Dynaplug

Couple of questions:
    - Does it appear that there is a danger of the embedded pointed tip would hit the rim, and do damage to the rim, if that same area took another hard hit? ...in other words a pinch flat scenario striking that area with that tip in the tire therefor forcing the metal tip into the rim.
    - Do you think that it is easier/better using a plug over putting in a tube? (this is not a set-up question)
    Brian McLaughlin

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bewheels View Post
    Couple of questions:
    - Does it appear that there is a danger of the embedded pointed tip would hit the rim, and do damage to the rim, if that same area took another hard hit? ...in other words a pinch flat scenario striking that area with that tip in the tire therefor forcing the metal tip into the rim.
    - Do you think that it is easier/better using a plug over putting in a tube? (this is not a set-up question)
    1) you typically dont pinch flat with tubeless.
    no, you dont force it into the hole hard enough the smash the rim or at least when we were doing it we were not doing that.
    2) there is absolutely no question that it is easier to you the plug then replace with a tube. We were rolling within two to three minutes after flatting. All we did was seach or the plug, search for the hole, stick the plug into the hole, pull it out, marvel at it, put it away, fill the tire with co2, marvel some more, and ride. Never removed the wheel from the bike. Never removed the tire from the wheel, Never dealt with sealant.
    Last edited by joosttx; 09-11-2017 at 08:39 AM.
    ***Instagram***
    my name is Houston

Post Thanks / Like

I just repaired a tire on my Mother-in-law's Corolla with a plug...a big roofing staple did her in. Plugs have been working on auto tires for years, why not bike tires, right? If I recall, they even worked on John Travolta's hairline.
    rw saunders
    everything is connected

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
    I just repaired a tire on my Mother-in-law's Corolla with a plug...a big roofing staple did her in. Plugs have been working on auto tires for years, why not bike tires, right? If I recall, they even worked on John Travolta's hairline.
    The magic of this one is it is so easy to use. Just put in and pull out. Then inflate
    ***Instagram***
    my name is Houston

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
    1) you typically dont pinch flat with tubeless.
    no, you dont force it into the hole hard enough the smash the rim or at least when we were doing it we were not doing that.
    Understood - should have been more clear...
    Just to level set so we are talking about the same thing... a pinch flat happens with the tire compresses to the point where it hits the rim. In the case of tubeless, there is no tube to pinch which is the appeal to tubeless.
    What I am curious about is, when those same dynamics happen (tire compressing to the point of hitting the rim) and that little metal plug spike is inside the tire, I would assume that little spike hits the rim. And this could happen with a fair amount of force and thus have potential to damage the rim.
    My assumption is based on:
    - That little spike stay inside the tire during the plug process
    - That little spike doesn't look so little in the photos <- I may be making a faulty assumption around how big this little spike is...
    - This also assumes that there would be another strike in the exact same place as the original issue with cause the flat and need for the plug...which is not very likely.
    Brian McLaughlin

Post Thanks / Like

Understood - should have been more clear...
    Just to level set so we are talking about the same thing... a pinch flat happens with the tire compresses to the point where it hits the rim. In the case of tubeless, there is no tube to pinch which is the appeal to tubeless.
    What I am curious about is, when those same dynamics happen (tire compressing to the point of hitting the rim) and that little metal plug spike is inside the tire, I would assume that little spike hits the rim. And this could happen with a fair amount of force and thus have potential to damage the rim.
    My assumption is based on:
    - That little spike stay inside the tire during the plug process
    - That little spike doesn't look so little in the photos <- I may be making a faulty assumption around how big this little spike is...
    - This also assumes that there would be another strike in the exact same place as the original issue with cause the flat and need for the plug...which is not very likely.
    The little spike doesn't stay in the tire. It's only to puncture in insert rubber plug.

Dynaplug is awesome. Much faster than tube replacement, and helps seal up gashes. I never used it on the road, but glad to hear it works on road tires. My introduction to it was a flat on a MTB ride when a buddy pulled out the dyna plug and repaired a flat in no time. Ensuing stories from other riders also noted how awesome it is to have, and how even on large cuts, they will install multiple plugs to get it to seal.
    Will Neide (pronounced Nighty, like the thing worn to bed)

Webpage : : Flickr : : Tumblr : : Facebook
    Instagram: wilco_cycleworks

Post Thanks / Like

see these on the grams pretty often. they have always looked like a good product, but since i'm anti-tubeless, i've never had any need to order. glad someone on here has used them, though, with good results.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Will Neide View Post
    The little spike doesn't stay in the tire. It's only to puncture in insert rubber plug.
    Thanks
    Figured there some faulty thinking going on on my part. Just wasn't sure where...

Education is fun.
    Brian McLaughlin

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks
    Figured there some faulty thinking going on on my part. Just wasn't sure where...

Education is fun.
    Correction, and my mistake, pointy end stays in. I had to double check. Apologies for the misinformation. Your original question still stands.

If you eventually install a tube, you need to remove the plug.

FWIW, I've got one in my rear tire now on my MTB, but haven't removed the tire yet. It's been there for awhile, so the plugs do last a long time after you install them.
    Will Neide (pronounced Nighty, like the thing worn to bed)

Webpage : : Flickr : : Tumblr : : Facebook
    Instagram: wilco_cycleworks

Post Thanks / Like

Genuine Innovations makes a plug kit too-

https://www.genuineinnovations.com/u...lesstackle.php

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Will Neide View Post
    Correction, and my mistake, pointy end stays in. I had to double check. Apologies for the misinformation. Your original question still stands.

If you eventually install a tube, you need to remove the plug.
    Correct. The spikey thing stays in the tire. With that said... I have ridden a tire over 500 miles with one in it and had no issues. The spikey thing is super fragile made of very very thin diameter metal. So thin, you can crush it with you fingers. I assume the spikey thing gets crush inside the tire.
    ***Instagram***
    my name is Houston

Post Thanks / Like

the spike makes me nervous for some reason - never mind the overall expense.

* just saw the post above - interesting about the metal tip -cost is still outrageous but if it saves a $80- $100 tire and you like the color purple

*expanded my screen to see one post higher

try a side of bacon Genuine Innovations Side Of Bacon Plugs > Accessories > Tools & Maintenance > Tire Tools | Jenson USA

Genuine Innovations has a kit that is a fraction of the cost......Innovations Tubeless Tire Repair Kit | Backcountry.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marley View Post

* just saw the post above - interesting about the metal tip -cost is still outrageous but if it saves a $80- $100 tire and you like the color purple

try a side of bacon Genuine Innovations Side Of Bacon Plugs > Accessories > Tools & Maintenance > Tire Tools | Jenson USA

Genuine Innovations has a kit that is a fraction of the cost......Innovations Tubeless Tire Repair Kit | Backcountry.com
    Those two kits look similar to the kit that I used on the Toyota's tires.
    rw saunders
    everything is connected

Post Thanks / Like

I've used the GI bacon strips version. Much cheaper although much much more involved. I'm a fan of both the GI and the dynaplug. For racing that dynaplug with CO2 attached seems like the jam.
    Randy Larrison
    My amazing friends call me Shoogs.

Blog post -- I don't think the heavy stuff...

Post Thanks / Like

An experience tip. If you are using the "regular" pointy version, you can just "round" the nose of the brass tip on some fine-grit sandpaper. It's quite easy to blunt or dull the tip. Mine are now baby-bottom smooth. This dull tip minimizes the chance of damaging the rim/tape.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
    Those two kits look similar to the kit that I used on the Toyota's tires.
    I used those many times working as a petroleum dispenser in my youth - remember a full service station when some kid would wash your windows, check/add oil and check/fill/repair a tire

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marley View Post

This is so much easier. Just punch and pull and done. No gluey threading
    Last edited by joosttx; 09-11-2017 at 07:22 PM.
    ***Instagram***
    my name is Houston

Post Thanks / Like

I've been running road tubeless for a couple of months now and have had a couple of punctures that seal up fine on the road, but then fail when pumped back to 90psi or where the little plug of sealant dislodges a couple of rides later.

For these, I've had good success patching the inside of the tyre (schwalbe pro one) with a regular patch kit.

Was considering ditching the tyres or just going back to tubes before I tried this.
    Hugh Horsfall

Post Thanks / Like

great idea.
    i have to get something like that for the mt bike