Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Translating Road to Mountain Fit

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Translating Road to Mountain Fit

I've got my road fit dialed in. Saddle height, reach to bars, setback - I am at peace.

However, I've been eyeballing mountain bikes (normal cross country style) and I don't know how to think about a couple of things:

1. On my road bike it's 58cm from the saddle tip to the handlebars by the stem. But it's 70cm to the hoods, where I spend most of the time. So for translating that to a flat bar mountain bike - do I size things to the hoods or do the tops? Also, I currently run a 130mm stem, on mountain bikes is it better to keep the stem shorter and the top tube correspondingly longer or should you just try and mimic the road set up?

2. Do setback and saddle height stay the same as a road set up?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Translating Road to Mountain Fit

It's highly personal and is largely dependent on your riding background, style and locale. For me, the saddle to bar ctr reach on my MTB is about 2cm longer than the saddle to bar ctr on my road bike. H-Bar drop is about 19mm vs 70mm on my roadie and my saddle is about 15mm lower and 10mm further back than on my roadie. I keep the front center long, run a 90mm stem with highly swept back bars and it works for me. Try a few different styles of bikes and see what works for you.
    Sean Chaney
    www.vertigocycles.com
    a peek behind the curtain