User Tag List

Thread: Transitions-type lenses for Oakley Fast Jacket?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Transitions-type lenses for Oakley Fast Jacket?

Does anyone have a source for Transitions-type lenses - photochromic lenses, light sensitive lenses, etc. - for Oakley Fast Jacket frames? My friend Janek looked for them while in town, and every place we went said they are available only direct from Oakley, but Oakley sent a reply today that said they don't offer a photochromic lens for the Fast Jacket. I thought I'd check here because it seems like something that might be made aftermarket & someone here might know. Non-prescription btw. Prague gets dark in the winter, so having lenses that adjusted to light levels would be an asset. And I can't understand how Janek can see through the ones he has. They look made of cobwebs.

Thanks.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Transitions-type lenses for Oakley Fast Jacket?

Doesn't Transition sell lenses for Oakley? Just need to find a local Transition dealer.

Oakley Transitions | Photochromic Sport Sunglasses & Lenses
    Nathan H

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, we were told that Oakley sells the Transitions lenses as Iridium Photochromic, and Oakley said it doesn't have any for the Fast Jacket. There are Flak Jacket and other models available, just not Fast Jacket. However, I don't understand why they are just labeled photochromic and not Transitions. Maybe Oakley is making its own photochromic lenses or they only use Transitions for prescription lenses? The people we asked seemed stumped.

Anyway, we gave up, but I wondered if anyone had a non-Oakley source for photochromic lenses that worked for them. I get a little obsessed when something that should be simple isn't.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Are these transition lenses (still) radioactive?

I ask because a few years ago I consulted at a uniform washing company. Half of their business was for a nuclear power plant, and anyone going in or out had to be scanned and recorded. They asked you to take off anything that might trip the scanner and put it in the basket, and specifically mentioned photochromic lenses.

I'm not sure I'd be OK with anything too radioactive to make it out of the uniform laundry being that close to my brain for that length of time.
    Trod Harland, Physical Educator

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. James Baldwin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Contact Sports Optical. They made Transitions Actives for my PRESCRIPTION Flak Jackets; I see no reason why they couldn't have non-prescription custom lenses made. I mean; who cares if the correction is zero and all you want is the Transitions feature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You could also try sportsrx.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh duh, yeah good idea. I was completely in the non-prescription mode so didn't think of those guys.

Radioactivity is not a comforting idea.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jorn--a few weeks ago I was in the Oakley store on 5th, with the same question. They do make transitions for the half and quarter jacket, if those are an option. I think the answer you get varies with the sales person.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Polack View Post
    Contact Sports Optical. They made Transitions Actives for my PRESCRIPTION Flak Jackets; I see no reason why they couldn't have non-prescription custom lenses made. I mean; who cares if the correction is zero and all you want is the Transitions feature?
    +1 on Sports Optical. I have several from them in a prescription that other RX vendors could not or would not make. And I have transition lenses that clear enough to ride at night and are plenty darkened in sunlight. Great folks to work with.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by verbs4us View Post
    Jorn--a few weeks ago I was in the Oakley store on 5th, with the same question. They do make transitions for the half and quarter jacket, if those are an option. I think the answer you get varies with the sales person.
    Yeah, I think you are right. Big store, many employees, high turnover.

No, the Fast Jacket has a different tab on the ends to fit into the clasp that makes removal easy.

Quote Originally Posted by one2velo View Post
    +1 on Sports Optical. I have several from them in a prescription that other RX vendors could not or would not make. And I have transition lenses that clear enough to ride at night and are plenty darkened in sunlight. Great folks to work with.
    I am going to give them a call on Monday. I want to try bifocals in my glasses, and they are supposed to be the best in that regard, so two birds one phone call.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    ... I want to try bifocals in my glasses, and they are supposed to be the best in that regard, so two birds one phone call.
    Re: my post above. Those Flak Jackets I mentioned above were made by Sports Optical WITH progressive bifocal lenses. Where on the lens the reading portion goes is important. The default location for me made it feel like I was trying to look at the tip of my nose. My optician understood this and adjusted the location for me. We passed those specs on to Sports Optical and they did a perfect job on the lenses.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jorn...I have purchased Oakley replacement lenses from this group with good success...but it looks like they make photo chromatic lenses for every Oakley "jacket" but the Fast Jacket. For the price, maybe tell your bud to buy a lighter lens to carry along when Prague goes dark. The design of the Fast Jacket does after all facilitate a quick lens switch.

Photochromic Replacement Lenses for Oakley | Revant Optics
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Polack View Post
    Re: my post above. Those Flak Jackets I mentioned above were made by Sports Optical WITH progressive bifocal lenses. Where on the lens the reading portion goes is important. The default location for me made it feel like I was trying to look at the tip of my nose. My optician understood this and adjusted the location for me. We passed those specs on to Sports Optical and they did a perfect job on the lenses.
    Good to know. Every time I get new glasses, I order the old-fashioned split lens bifocals because the acuity and peripheral vision is 100% better. So I'd like to see if Sport Optical can do split lens for my Racing Jacket frames.

Quote Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
    Jorn...I have purchased Oakley replacement lenses from this group with good success...but it looks like they make photo chromatic lenses for every Oakley "jacket" but the Fast Jacket. For the price, maybe tell your bud to buy a lighter lens to carry along when Prague goes dark. The design of the Fast Jacket does after all facilitate a quick lens switch.

Photochromic Replacement Lenses for Oakley | Revant Optics
    Thanks for the link - I think the two lens is the back up plan. I still need to call Sport Optic. One of those weeks.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books