Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Trainer Games--The Soprano's

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Trainer Games--The Soprano's

So here in the Catskills, with almost 3' of snow on the ground, I have been spending plenty of time pedaling in place. Many hours of pedaling hard, going no where. I have taken to trying new ways to keep it all interesting.

So yesterday I turned to "on Demand Cable" and found that there were 4 old episodes of The Soprano's available. So upon the suggestion of my LBS, I thought back to the drinking games of my youth and came up with a game to play.

Here is is:
    • I start pedaling the moment the episode begins and take no breaks until the episode is over. After each episode I can visit the bathroom and fill a water bottle and then start the next episode, no more than a 2 minute break off bike.
    • Every time any character says "F$%K" I do a one minute sprint. if they say it again during the sprint it continues for another minute. The maximum is 3 minutes, no more.
    • Every time someone gets shot, I get to do 5 minutes of recovery. The recovery overrides any number of "F$%K"s and is not to be interrupted to sprint.

So yesterday I watched all four episodes. Now I need a new game.

Any ideas?
    Dovid@dhoffman.consulting

Fundamentally the marksmen aims at himself.
    -Zen in the Art of Archery

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Re: Trainer Games--The Soprano's

I'm watching "The Pacific" on DVD. Each episode is around 50 minutes so I do a ten minute warmup, start the episode, and do a five to ten minute cooldown afterwards. During combat scenes I go all out and recover in between. The scenes are intense, it's easy to block out the suffering.
    Weight Doper

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You did 4 hours on the trainer? Sounds absolutely awful.
    Fights begin, finger prints are took, days is lost, bail is made, court dates are ignored, cycle is repeated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Get a cross bike; ride outside.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    I'm watching "The Pacific" on DVD. Each episode is around 50 minutes so I do a ten minute warmup, start the episode, and do a five to ten minute cooldown afterwards. During combat scenes I go all out and recover in between. The scenes are intense, it's easy to block out the suffering.
    I just did similar training last week to Band of Bros (only took me nearly 10 years to see it). Same co-worker I borrowed BoB from is loaning me Pacific & I'm looking forward to it - so don't tell me how it ends!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nierman View Post
    I just did similar training last week to Band of Bros (only took me nearly 10 years to see it). Same co-worker I borrowed BoB from is loaning me Pacific & I'm looking forward to it - so don't tell me how it ends!
    I have a personal interest in the series. I grew up around one of the Marines (CPL Burgin) portrayed in part 5 onwards.
    Weight Doper

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

therollercam.com on one screen, and netflix on the other.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nierman View Post
    Same co-worker I borrowed BoB from is loaning me Pacific & I'm looking forward to it - so don't tell me how it ends!

UMM hate to tell you this but it (Pacific) is a war documentary so unless you were absent during US history in high school you pretty much already know how it ends.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MJS View Post
    UMM hate to tell you this but it (Pacific) is a war documentary so unless you were absent during US history in high school you pretty much already know how it ends.
    You are giving my high school high way too much credit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MJS View Post
    Nakajima stopped making bombers, changed it's named to Fuji Heavy Industries, started making Subarus and conquered Vermont for the Emperor.

Did you know that Mitsubishi Motors (Japanese Zero fighter), had as it's first slogan in America, "From those wonderful folks who gave you Pearl Harbor"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm able to stomach 4 hours on the trainer with the help of this:

Pro Cycling Manager 2010 : the official website

I can't play it unless I'm riding. I tend to shift between that, shitty action movies (VIVA ROBOCOP!), cycling movies (though 70s/80s docus don't really do it for me on the trainer), books during mellow days, and the occasional 30 Rock episode. Trainer games a la drinking games is an excellent idea, but I usually do power workouts on the trainer with just some solid euro dance thumping in my headphones.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You are all insane for riding on the trainer for 4 hours... I just got off riding the spin bike for 1 hour at the gym this morning. I watch netflix on my iPad and do intervals . 1 hour is all I can do, 5 minutes more and I want to kill myself.

But I appreciate your insanity. It always pays off in the end.

-Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xjoex View Post
    You are all insane for riding on the trainer for 4 hours... . 1 hour is all I can do, 5 minutes more and I want to kill myself.

-Joe
    I am glad to see that you dont say "insane" like it is a bad thing. Some people are nuts to go out in the cold, others, nuts to say in and ride.

I have been accused of insanity for decades but rarely with as much respect. Thank you for seeing my true self.
    Dovid@dhoffman.consulting

Fundamentally the marksmen aims at himself.
    -Zen in the Art of Archery

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've done a few of the sufferfest videos and they're not too bad. I've also gone with the "drinking game" method too, but none of these tricks help all that much. Regardless of the cold I make it outside at least once a week and ride the cross bike, even if it's only for an hour. An hour and a half is about all I can do inside regardless of my best intentions. Luckly racing in Indiana, at least the crit season, doesn't really start until late May, or early June. I fear that a four hour trainer session would see me in a rubber room needing a lifetime supply of Haldol.
    "I think I know what military fame is; to be killed on the field of battle and have your name misspelled in the newspapers."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I started running outside and never looked back. Gave my trainer to my Dad..

But, if running is not your thing, and in light of today being HUMP day, this might be just the thing for winter training opportunities:

Hottie Body HUMP-Pilates! Go to it!

Quote Originally Posted by xjoex View Post
    You are all insane for riding on the trainer for 4 hours... I just got off riding the spin bike for 1 hour at the gym this morning. I watch netflix on my iPad and do intervals . 1 hour is all I can do, 5 minutes more and I want to kill myself.

-Joe