User Tag List

Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1213141516171819202122

Thread: Tour De France '18 (Incessant Spoilers and Postulations)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Tour De France '18 (Incessant Spoilers and Postulations)

Quote Originally Posted by beeatnik View Post
    TT, you've never been to Dodger Stadium.

These guys are big (skinny) boys. They're fortunate to get booed; means someone is paying attention to a possibly dying pro sport.

And I hear you on Nibali but I don't think there's much that can or should be done about "fan interference." These kooks care enough to show up (the drinking/partying should be part of the spectacle, see Premier League). Now, if they start running into the middle of the path on descents....
    It might not be the worst for the sport if the PRO part went away, or at least was massively diminished. Love cycling, but it is not, nor should it be, the NFL, EPL, BL, NBA or MLB.

IMHO.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let 'em boo. If they're upset that the story lines always turn into Globetrotters vs. Generals, then booing is something of a show of respect for the sport.

In fact, route the tour past the homes of Cookson and McQuaid so they can be booed.
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 72gmc View Post
    Let 'em boo. If they're upset that the story lines always turn into Globetrotters vs. Generals, then booing is something of a show of respect for the sport.

In fact, route the tour past the homes of Cookson and McQuaid so they can be booed.
    Now you are talking.

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by beeatnik View Post
    TT, you've never been to Dodger Stadium.
    The one in Brooklyn?

Ha reminds me of a story I read long ago -
    Old Brooklynites still joke that, if you were to find yourself in a room with Hitler, Stalin, and O’Malley, armed with only two bullets, you’d have to shoot O’Malley twice.

I had to Google it for accuracy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jerk View Post
    my take:

poor Nibali- he was still in the top five GC despite breaking his back on Alpe d'Huez.

i hate team Sky- but that team is the best because of their structure. they sweat all the details and make sure everyone is peaking for this race regardless of their other goals. i honestly believe that you could take any other team in the TdF and give them Sky's money, organization, trainers, doctors, equipment etc. and they'd be just as dominant. the team is run like postal was- with one goal- to win the tour de france this year and every year.
    Euro cycling is a lower tier sport. There's no league to support the riders because the races are owned by old, Euro entities that look at riders as low life cast offs. It's really easy for a team to dominate because the saleries are so low. How much does Nieve make? Grand tours suck. After the first week, it's the same old Sky train. And good luck for TV next year. F#@k Sky and f#@k ASO. Maybe next year NBC Gold can offer a first week only package.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dpcompt View Post
    Euro cycling is a lower tier sport. There's no league to support the riders because the races are owned by old, Euro entities that look at riders as low life cast offs. It's really easy for a team to dominate because the saleries are so low. How much does Nieve make? Grand tours suck. After the first week, it's the same old Sky train. And good luck for TV next year. F#@k Sky and f#@k ASO. Maybe next year NBC Gold can offer a first week only package.
    Nobody is making you watch for essentially free. All the "League" sports charge admission. Big sports like NFL are free because they're so popular TV pays for it for us. Cycling scraps for sponsorship at every turn because it's free to watch. The $50 package on NBC Sports Gold is absurdly inexpensive and if you wish Nieve to earn more you'll have to write him a check yourself. Nobody makes him be a pro bike rider and nobody makes us watch if we don't wish to watch.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dpcompt View Post
    I would imagine Nieve is earning in the mid six figures.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post
    Old Brooklyniyes still joke that, if you were to find yourself in a room with Hitler, Stalin, and O'Malley, armed with only two bullets, you'd have to shoot O'Malley twice.
    For sure there are legions of Whalers fans that feel this way about Peter Karmanos. (Insert Whaler Nation and Brass Bonanza hashtags here)

Regarding fan interference, I still remember the 2003 Worlds in Hamilton, Ontario. The setbacks were ridiculous on the climbs, they asked us to move back and of course everyone obliged. On the last laps the course marshals actually asked people to get closer to the road. The world needs more Canadians.

Je suis Canadiens, because that would rock, eh?
    Tdd Hllnd

Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring. -- Desmond Tutu

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sagan still there? Ruh-roh. I was thinking Alaphalippe or Cummings for today.

Only bet I'd make is it won't be Cannondale.
    Andy

RAI Reporter: "Did you have it in mind to go for the win today?"
    Eddy Merckx: "Why do you ask me that? Why do you think I'm here? To watch the others win?"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Like any sporting event, just add alcohol and you have your answer.

Quote Originally Posted by BBB View Post
    I guess the sport has gone from a Euro-centric sport to a global sport in the last 30 or so years. The TdF in particular has attracted a vast global audience and in that 30 or so year period you've had English, American, Irish and Australian winners. The Colombians have come close a few times too. So, in addition to the local fans (the Basque contingent in the Pyrenees, the Dutch on Alpe d'Huez etc) you get a lot of tourists come from all over to watch the race. No idea why the flares get used. Not sure a lot of booze and sitting in the sun helps. Aside from the flares, the crowds get a bit nuts. It must have been in '92 when Chiappucci went on his long break in the Alps that the crowds up Sestriere went bananas. He was literally riding through a tunnel of people at one point and ended up passing the motor bike in front that got held up by the crowd. The crowds have increased since that time and the unfortunate side effect is the impact on the racers. Froome on Ventoux and now Nibali. It didn't cost Froome in the end, but it has cost Nibali. The ASO do need to put a hand brake on the crowds.
    Bill Fernance
    Bicycle Shop Owner
    Part Time Framebuilder
    Bicycle Tragic

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah but Sagan! Dang.