Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Top 3 Rim Brake Carbon Road Wheels

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Top 3 Rim Brake Carbon Road Wheels

If you want a handbuilt set. The 202/303 rims are really good with their brake track, ShowStopper. The most recent ENVE SES is also good. That set up with a new DT 240 straight pull or if you want traditional spokes, I love the Industry Nine hubs. Either could be a super nice build.

For prebuilt, the Campy WTO 33 is really the top of the list, and a pretty good deal $$ wise. No real need to look further, unless you like Shimano things, their C24 and C40 is very good. Most folks overlook them because they aren't full carbon, but that not really a bad thing, aluminum braking surfaces are nice and they are way less $$ than everything else, everything else that's good at least.

What group are you running on the new bike?

Also DCT doesn't have 202's or 2.2's he has the older ENVE 25, which is pre-SES, so the braking is not so super.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Justin@BlackOakVelo View Post
    If you want a handbuilt set. The 202/303 rims are really good with their brake track, ShowStopper. The most recent ENVE SES is also good. That set up with a new DT 240 straight pull or if you want traditional spokes, I love the Industry Nine hubs. Either could be a super nice build.

For prebuilt, the Campy WTO 33 is really the top of the list, and a pretty good deal $$ wise. No real need to look further, unless you like Shimano things, their C24 and C40 is very good. Most folks overlook them because they aren't full carbon, but that not really a bad thing, aluminum braking surfaces are nice and they are way less $$ than everything else, everything else that's good at least.

Also DCT doesn't have 202's or 2.2's he has the older ENVE 25, which is pre-SES, so the braking is not so super.
    Interesting about the 202s. I haven't tried Zipp in a while, so that definitely should factor into my post earlier in the thread. If they're good, those paired with 240S or I9 hubs, as you suggest, could be rad. Both of those hub options are really good.

And if DCT is coming off of ENVE 25s, pretty much anything mentioned in this thread will be a huge step up. I had a set of 45s back in the day and they were hard to stop even in the flatlands.
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great topic Jorn - and timely for me especially!

While I'm hammering out the desired geometry of my upcoming Bishop (btw tube joining expected to start this month!!) I've been thinking about components and especially wheels. I've been talking to Matt here and others across the hall about preferred carbon wheels and think that I've pretty much settled on a set of Boras. I'm thinking Bora WTO 33s or Bora One 35s. I like everything I've heard and read about these wheels. Plus they look awesome!

I think the only differences are the shape of the hub - WTO's are aero, and the width and height of the rim - One's are wider and taller.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Zipp has always made really good rims, the newest being really, really good. Their hubs were always not so great, most recently better. Now that they regularly offer rims for purchase for handbuilts, in my book for a rim brake bike they are possibly the best out.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    Interesting about the 202s. I haven't tried Zipp in a while, so that definitely should factor into my post earlier in the thread. If they're good, those paired with 240S or I9 hubs, as you suggest, could be rad. Both of those hub options are really good.

And if DCT is coming off of ENVE 25s, pretty much anything mentioned in this thread will be a huge step up. I had a set of 45s back in the day and they were hard to stop even in the flatlands.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NorTX-Dave View Post
    Great topic Jorn - and timely for me especially!

While I'm hammering out the desired geometry of my upcoming Bishop (btw tube joining expected to start this month!!) I've been thinking about components and especially wheels. I've been talking to Matt here and others across the hall about preferred carbon wheels and think that I've pretty much settled on a set of Boras. I'm thinking Bora WTO 33s or Bora One 35s. I like everything I've heard and read about these wheels. Plus they look awesome!

I think the only differences are the shape of the hub - WTO's are aero, and the width and height of the rim - One's are wider and taller.
    Glory Cycles has a write-up on the various "Boras". Bora WTO 33, 45 & 6 vs. Bora Ultra & Bora One Review - Glory Cycles
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Justin@BlackOakVelo View Post

The Zanconato will have Shimano Ultegra disc and I was planning on taking the advice here of ENVE 27's. It will be a 650b bike.

This thread started because I got three emails in one week from friends (I don't have many friends) asking about carbon wheels.
    Last edited by j44ke; 05-07-2020 at 11:34 AM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
    boras boras boras
    Agreed. The only question is model ranking. The braking is absolutely fantastic with the supplied brake pads in the dry,

Bora 35 Ultra
    Bora 50 1
    Bora 33 WTO

or

Bora 50 Ultra
    Bora XX

clincher or tubular.

you get the idea.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    This. I had some 45s or whatever they were back when they were still Edge. Braking wasn't great. Grabby at times (pads were a likely factor). And in the wind, yikes.

Competcyc/Backcountry have 25% off WTOs. Wheels are on backorder only. Add this price to an activejunky cash back rebate...that's some nice pricing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Awesome!

The Enve G27ís are sick! Thatís what I ride and havenít had a better set up before for a 650 bike.

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    The Zanconato will have Shimano Ultegra disc and I was planning on taking the advice here of ENVE 27's. It will be a 650b bike.

This thread started because I got three emails in one week from friends (I don't have many friends) asking about carbon wheels.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Take a look at both ENVE and Zipp both have made significant changes to warranty. Both are very close and offer real value to the consumer. Too bad your not disc as the new Zipp 303 S is pretty impressive.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did ENVE solve their quality control issues? Anecdotally, there seems to be less evidence but that may be due to lower sales?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Glory Cycles has a write-up on the various "Boras". Bora WTO 33, 45 & 6 vs. Bora Ultra & Bora One Review - Glory Cycles
    Uh oh.....in the review and something I overlooked is that the WTO has an internal width of 19mm and can accommodate up to a 28mm clincher. The Bora One has an internal width of 17 mm and better accommodates a 25mm tire.

I was hoping to go even wider....say up to a 30mm tire. I know Chris builds that clearance into the style of frame I'm commissioning.

Is the tire limit of the WTO hard and fast? If so.....I think I might go to Matt's fave - the Fulcrum Speed 40 which is advertised to accept up to a 50mm tire.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Itís not a limit, just a function of the aerodynamic effects they are promoting. The external width of the rim at the bead is similar to the width of an inflated 25mm or 28mm tire (likely setting up wider anyway), and the design is optimized for airflow with that situation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had Enve and there were not feeling that good and braking was a complete joke. I broke two Zipp 404 rims, POS as well.

My Bora U2 tubulars have 50000km and work perfectly still. My Bora 35 and Hyperon have less but were never touched either. I should stock up on Bora tubs before they disappear as well.

Lightweights need a special mention too. With all the wide rim fashion they still hold their own very well despite being expensive and not always very true and with average braking (not bad). They have a special feeling when you accelerate that others do not.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lionel View Post
    I had Enve and there were not feeling that good and braking was a complete joke. I broke two Zipp 404 rims, POS as well.

My Bora U2 tubulars have 50000km and work perfectly still. My Bora 35 and Hyperon have less but were never touched either. I should stock up on Bora tubs before they disappear as well.

Lightweights need a special mention too. With all the wide rim fashion they still hold their own very well despite being expensive and not always very true and with average braking (not bad). They have a special feeling when you accelerate that others do not.
    Bora Ultra 80 Tubs on sale mega-cheap at Merlin right now - for those really fast and calm days :)
    Kirk MRB | ???

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
    Bora Ultra 80 Tubs on sale mega-cheap at Merlin right now - for those really fast and calm days :)
    Yeah, indeed thanks. I always wanted to try these for fast flatfish group rides I do here. Maybe I should buy a pair. Tubular, rim brakes, narrow rims = out of fashion.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lionel View Post
    An extinct species. RIP. Love these wheels.
    Fulcrum Racing Light XLR Road Wheelset - CULT | Chain Reaction Cycles

One pair left as of 5/7/20 at $1099 - but you gotta be okay with Red anodized hubs and it saying "Fulcrum" instead of "Campy Hyperon Ultra"...
    Kirk MRB | ???

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
    Fulcrum Racing Light XLR Road Wheelset - CULT | Chain Reaction Cycles

One pair left as of 5/7/20 at $1099 - but you gotta be okay with Red anodized hubs and it saying "Fulcrum" instead of "Campy Hyperon Ultra"...
    The pair I have has been so reliable... If I was to buy a backup pair it would probably be the 50 ultra. Very versatile.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CLX 32 if you want to be a weight weenie and like swapping out ceramic bearings with steel when they're no longer covered by warranty.

I've been really, really stoked on Edco Umbrial Chronosports. I don't know if it's a Lew designed rim, but it's very similar to Reynolds Aero 46, which was previously my most favorite carbon clincher. Fantastic in the win, picks up speed, and is confident in corners. Not sure if they can be found in rim brake version anymore, though.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

(such as Strongin mentioned with the Open Pro Carbon and DT 240s hubs)??
    I'm a bit baffled by those: they're not really aero (25mm height, square profile,) and at 425 grams aren't that much lighter than an aluminum rim with similar depth, while costing x5 as much.

They might be stronger, useful for gravel maybe, but I can't see that many people riding gravel on rim brakes.

Might be a collector piece now, with Mavic going into receivership after every private equity managed to suck whatever they could out of it.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast