Thread: Is it time to part away ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Is it time to part away ?

A strange thing happened on Sunday ...

Woke up quarter to 6, had an espresso with some toast, dressed up took the bike and went to find the group I usually ride with. It was the first time I went out cycling, since June. Started riding, some chit chat for the first half an hour and then nothing ... at some point in the half of the 45 km ride outwards, I said gonna stop here and have a coffee, my legs dont feel right its the first time out since June so gonna take it cool for the first time. Had an espresso alone and I rode back home. In the whole ride I was bored ... I had no motivation, did not enjoy the scenery, most of my old friends stopped riding, had no goal in the near future to do an audax and get the legs in shape ... Father of 2 young kids now with no time in weekends for being absent the whole morning in weekend, with a new hobby ... photography

God damnit what will happen to this bike I absolutely love to just sit there and watch it ... Its a Colnago Super in Sarroni red, with 11speed Campny SR/R groupset mix, 3T carbon peripherals and Campy neutron wheelset. Goddamnit I am totally in love with this bike ...

But what am I going to do with it ... keep it in the garage and just watch it ? Will this boredom of cycling for hours pass ? Should I sell it for someone else to enjoy this beauty or just leave it in the garage to get glimpses of it and watch it get old and unused ...

?IMG_20181113_090841_084.jpg c05d76c01b229f480276147fbe0fdfae.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Is it time to part away ?

It's a beautiful bike, and my size - maybe - but unless you're really strapped for cash, I'd hold onto it and see where life takes you..
    Dan in Oregon

---------------

The wheel is round. The hill lasts as long as it lasts. That's a fact. Everything else is pure theory.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't ride for a month then get back at it. I start to get antsy if I go for more than a couple weeks off the bike. To me the ride itself is the end. Evan a crappy short ride is a good day to be alive. You would never ever get nearly what that bike is worth selling it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Perhaps give the young children up for adoption so you can properly refocus on cycling.
    In all seriousness, people go through phases all the time. Itís nothing to worry about.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
    It's a beautiful bike, and my size - maybe - but unless you're really strapped for cash, I'd hold onto it and see where life takes you..
    Seatube 59 Toptube 61

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Moke View Post
    Don't ride for a month then get back at it. I start to get antsy if I go for more than a couple weeks off the bike. To me the ride itself is the end. Evan a crappy short ride is a good day to be alive. You would never ever get nearly what that bike is worth selling it.

Haven't ride it since June ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We can’t decide this sorta thing for you....but if you stop riding please replace the exercise quotient with something else, don’t become a slob.

The bike is a tool, make of that what you will.
    Real World persona : Andy Corso

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Keep it. The children will grow up sooner than you think. When they start to have their own weekend plans, go for a ride. Then, decide to sell or not.
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's only one bike...keep it, you never know what will happen in the future, and if you get back into riding, now you're gonna need a bike if this one's gone.

SPP
    My name is Peter Miller.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's hard to sell a used bike for what you have invested. Park it in the corner until you're ready to ride it. I gave up on group rides years ago. Ride because you enjoy it. And you can combine your new hobby with riding a bike. Chuck the clipless pedals, put on some fat platforms and ride around with a camera in a courier bag. Go looking for photographs. Start a 365 photography project but find the pictures via bicycle if you want, or not. Flip the stem. Put a flat bar on it. Whatever. It's just a bike. Your kids will be riding around with you soon enough. I only have one kid and she's 12. We rode nearly 3 hours today around town on touristy bike routes. She loved it. I had a great time. We both brought our cameras and took some photographs. Give up cycling, keep riding the bike, if that makes sense. I think it does.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’m not sure where you live but for many of us November is the end of the serious road rides anyway.
    It makes it harder to sell a road bike.
    Why not just keep it and wait for spring and see if the urge comes back?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kupepe View Post
    Seatube 59 Toptube 61
    You're done.
    I give you $200 for it and pay the shipping.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm in a similar boat, 7.5 month old at home, not much motivation to ride, certainly not like I used to. Most days I'd rather spend my time with the little one, she's growing and changing so fast, I don't want to miss anything. She's only little once.

But I'm not selling my bikes. It doesn't hurt for them to sit for a while unused, and it's nice to have them there when I do get the itch to ride. And I know I'll get back to riding a good bit eventually, and new bikes will cost way more than what I'd get selling off my current ones.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sell it.... and wait a few months someone else on this forum will be selling another RS by spring

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Keep it. Have fun with the kids. At some point theyíll start to want to do their own thingómy girls are teenagers now but they started at 10 or so. Then itís short rides and you start to notice things you donít notice with a car full of kids: hey thereís the park, wow that place has changed, so this is what quiet sounds like.

Itíll come back. Itís just taking a break for your kids.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Iíve written several responses to this but the basic jist of all of them is shut up and ride.

Eastern Vermont, White River Junction-Hanover, NH area
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Keep it. You love the bike. Zero reason to sell it.

One thought: find a short loop to ride right out your front door. A loop you can do in a hour, with a few hard spots (short hills, whatever) along the way. And get out and hammer that sucker a few times a week. You need to move your body. Do it for your kids sake, if nothing else. You've got time for that, no?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have you asked yourself what got you into riding in the first place?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I haven't ridden (more than a handful of times) since June either. Selling my bikes would never once cross my mind. In fact, I'm thinking about getting another one...
    "As an homage to the EPOdays of yore- I'd find the world's last remaining pair of 40cm ergonomic drop bars.....i think everyone who ever liked those handlebars in that shape and in that width is either dead of a drug overdose, works in the Schaerbeek mattress factory now and weighs 300 pounds or is Dr. Davey Bruylandts...who for all I know is doing both of those things." - Jerk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Put it on a trainer. Ride 30 minutes hard a couple times a week until you're ready to take it back out. You'll be in better shape than you are now and it will be way more fun.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast