Thread: Ti Thomson?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Ti Thomson?

Quote Originally Posted by snotrockets View Post
    Maybe it was useful ten years ago, now there's an app for that.
    Good point. I've actually used an app called Carpenter to do a swap.
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by teleguy57 View Post
    I've ridden Moots setback in 30.9, Eriksen straight in 30.9, Eriksen setback in 30.9, Thomson straight in 31.6, and Syntace carbon in 31.6 (plus a bunch of others).
    • All the ti posts were brushed to match the finish on my Hampsten (post went with the bike to a new owner:)) and now my Alliance ti allroad.
    • I like the Moots clamp best, Syntace and Eriksen second, then Fizik, then Thomson.
    • Biggest difference is Moots allows separate "infinite" adjustment of setback and tilt so tuning one has no affect on the other (good thing in my book, downside is you need both 5mm and 6mm hex wrenches to adjust on the road).
    • All the others have infinite tilt except Eriksen, which has grooves in the post to match the cradle. I have been able to get a good adjustment, but don't like being limited to discrete increments.
    • Two bolts allow infinite tilt, but are futzier to get exactly where you want the tilt. And tilt often gets messed up if you change fore-aft
    • Aesthetically I just can't get alng with a post with a sharp angle/bend. Smooth curves work for me.

From a ride perspective the Syntace was the most comfortable. Not sure I can really tell the difference between the others. I do have a 27.2 setback Moots on the workbench; I tried it late this fall with a shim to 30.9 and didn't get it tight enough so rather than play with it further I just stayed with the 30.9. May try again this spring -- although I like the aesthetics of a 30.9 post w/my 35mm seat tube better than the way the 27.2 looks.

I have no interest in trying the Thomson ti straight post. Firefly maybe if I felt a slightly different setback than the 20mm on the Moots would improve things, but thinking the price makes that unlikely.

Almost scored a ti PMP from Clean39T, but wasn't quick enough on the PM:)
    I seem to recall a German publication having done tests on vibration damping and flex on a variety of posts and Syntace came out at the top or second.
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dashDustin View Post
    are we loving on ti posts because there's a tangible benefit? or because it's ti in a world of carbon and aluminum?

I've got a ti PMP on my Crux and I love that thing. I swear I can feel some flex it.

Also love Enve's clamp design. As such, that Firefly post is killer in my book. 2, please. 27.2 and 30.9 in 15mm setback.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    I don't know, but I really like the three Ti posts I have in the mix. They're all on Ti or Ti-ish bikes and I've never ridden one on a bike of any other material. That'll change though, as I'm thinking about getting one for a steel bike. If I do, I'm pretty sure it'll be another one from Firefly.
    My Sweet Post is in a mirror-finish stainless steel bike. Visually, I like the contrast. Practically, I think it has better vibration damping capabilities than Al generally but can't comment on its relative merits compared to various carbon posts. I'm not sure if I have actually felt any flex in my SP, however.

Another thing I noticed when I was looking for a suitable seat post is that for a given diameter and length, Ti models tend to be slightly lighter than carbon. I'm far from being a weightweeny so it had no influence on my selection, but it did surprise me.
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My favorite seat post is my ti Blacksheep with Thomson clamp.

SPP
    My name is Peter Miller.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chik View Post
    My Sweet Post is in a mirror-finish stainless steel bike. Visually, I like the contrast. Practically, I think it has better vibration damping capabilities than Al generally but can't comment on its relative merits compared to various carbon posts. I'm not sure if I have actually felt any flex in my SP, however.

Another thing I noticed when I was looking for a suitable seat post is that for a given diameter and length, Ti models tend to be slightly lighter than carbon. I'm far from being a weightweeny so it had no influence on my selection, but it did surprise me.
    That's interesting. I've got the Thomson ti MTB handlebar, and while it rides nice like a good carbon bar, it's heavier (and more expensive) than a carbon bar.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good point. I've actually used an app called Carpenter to do a swap.
    To enable AR applications, modern phones have better sensors and software for positioning. I don't know if you can have retul-like software running on your phone yet, but it's entirely possible with current tech (most phones have ≥2 cameras, allowing you to do 3D feature extraction from motion.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by snotrockets View Post
    To enable AR applications, modern phones have better sensors and software for positioning. I don't know if you can have retul-like software running on your phone yet, but it's entirely possible with current tech (most phones have ≥2 cameras, allowing you to do 3D feature extraction from motion.)
    Dood, you completely lost me. I don't even know the model number of my iPhone even though I know the answer involves just a single digit.

I feel pretty tech savvy just knowing how to come here to chew the fat.
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ti models tend to be slightly lighter than carbon. I'm far from being a weightweeny so it had no influence on my selection, but it did surprise me.
    The lightest post I've ever had was KCNC aluminum post with Ti head, ~142 grams cut to ~27cm. Easy to install and didn't gave me a squeak even when commuting daily on potholed roads (for the record, I'm ~80kgs with atrocious handling skills.) Only issue was significant water seepage into the frame through the clamp.

Wasn't too expensive either.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I run my posts 30 cm out of the frame on several bikes.
    Post material and wall gauge matter here.
    Ti and carbon in "regular" size really smoothen things out compared with Alu.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think you could make a reliable ti seatpost as light as my ritchey superlogic in the same size.

That said ti components look really good on a brushed ti frame. I'd still try to add some color accents.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I may have missed this when skimming through the thread - for those that have not had a Thomson post, they are infinitely adjustable AND have notches. But the "notches" are simply cosmetic aspects of the visible scale you see on the head. If the painted on markings get worn off you still have the notches to see the scale. The actual adjustment mechanism is not affected by the scale notches.

I did see Bold Precision mentioned. He does have some stock but what his also does is make custom tapered ti posts. Post length, setback, etc. I believe some builders can specify where/how they want the taper...I am not sure he does this for the general public.

I will admit that when you see pictures of these posts by them self on the internet they look awkward.
    When they are on a bike that awkwardness disappears.

As to whether you can feel the difference in a ti post or not, I can certainly feel the difference between the Bold post and different aluminum posts (same bike, only the post was different).
    Brian McLaughlin

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123