User Tag List

Thread: Three weeks in Tokyo - bring a bike?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Three weeks in Tokyo - bring a bike?

My partner and I will be spending three weeks in Japan in March. West Tokyo (Kokubunji) will be our home base.

We're debating the merits of bringing bikes. Is there any good riding from Tokyo? How much of a hassle is it to bring bikes on buses/trains?

We're generally pretty familiar with getting around in Japan... just not getting around in Japan with a bike. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Three weeks in Tokyo - bring a bike?

Quote Originally Posted by defspace View Post
    My partner and I will be spending three weeks in Japan in March. West Tokyo (Kokubunji) will be our home base.

We're debating the merits of bringing bikes. Is there any good riding from Tokyo? How much of a hassle is it to bring bikes on buses/trains?

We're generally pretty familiar with getting around in Japan... just not getting around in Japan with a bike. Thanks
    You can ride right to Tama River and there is a MUT which runs along the river to take you up and out of the metro area. It's probably about 14 or 15 miles to get to the hills west of Hachioji. I do not think they change the rules , so you need to bring you bike in a bike bag to board the train. Greater Tokyo is all crowded, but it's still fun.

If I was there in March, I'd prefer to either Ski or go hiking and stay at some hot springs. If you only have the weekends to explore, I think you don't need a bike and you can have a lot of fun hiking/site seeing. I'd hit Hakone, Nikko, and take a weekend trip to Kyoto. .

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm thinking bringing bikes may not be the best idea. Travel and renting bikes may be a better option. I came across this: CYCLING - THE INLAND SEA Setouchi, Japan looks beautiful.

Thanks for the tips on Hakone, Nikko, and Kyoto. We'll look into them. I hear Kyoto can be so tourist-packed that it's unpleasant.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was just in Kyoto and found it was far less crowded than Tokyo and it was delightful. I regretted not bringing a bike as it would have been the best way to get around. The rentals around the city worked, but were limiting.

Best,
    Josh
    This is my substitute for pistol and ball. With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to the bike.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kyoto is probably not going to be crowded in March.

You may be able to use the baggage transport if you plan ahead, though I am not sure if bagged bikes are allowed. Might just be S&S/Ritchey Breakaway-type bikes that fit into suitcases.

Outside of Kyoto there is a Lake Biwa route that is supposed to be very nice. And a Mount Atago route for views. We saw a steady stream of cyclists headed for Mount Atago or the Arashiyama Parkway while we were walking through the temple areas in northwest Kyoto.

You could also try here for more info: Globalwheels Kyoto - Touring & Road Bike Rental in Kyoto, Japan
    – Globalwheels Touring and Road Bike Rental - Kyoto
    Last edited by j44ke; 3 Weeks Ago at 06:57 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Go to Jan Heine's blog and search for "Rinko."
    Steve Palincsar
    Alexandria VA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Emptying out a few of my bookmarks just in case one of them hits a mark.

Best scenic bicycle routes in and around Tokyo | Time Out Tokyo

JAPAN: TOKYO TO KYOTO — RAID CYCLING

http://theclimbingcyclist.com/an-aut...kita-part-one/

Onomichi Travel: Shimanami Kaido

BLUE LUG

http://www.inujirushikaban.jp/shopde...ge1/recommend/

Emma Pooley has been doing some sort of circumnavigation of Mt. Fuji on bicycle. You can see a handful of pics on Instagram and routes on Strava. Looks really great.

Emma Pooley (@pooleyemma) • Instagram photos and videos

https://www.strava.com/pros/1954299
    Last edited by j44ke; 3 Weeks Ago at 10:06 AM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another vote for the Shimanami Kaido, really nice riding across all the bridges and islands.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Getting a bit far afield from Tokyo maybe, but friends just did Shikoku by bike and said it was great. They did the whole route.

Basic Route Information | Shikoku Circuit Cycling | Enjoy food, tourism, and riding!
    Last edited by j44ke; 3 Weeks Ago at 11:47 AM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Getting a bit far afield from Tokyo maybe
    Please don't hesitate. Your suggestions for Kanazawa last year were terrific. We will definitely going through your bookmark dump. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please don't hesitate. Your suggestions for Kanazawa last year were terrific. We will definitely going through your bookmark dump. Thanks!
    That's good to know!

We are actually considering either the Noto Peninsula next or the above Shikoku Temple Pilgrimage route.

If Butterfield does the Noto Peninsula, it should be pretty great. It is a place where you can ride from inn to inn, and there are tour groups that will arranged accommodation for you, carry your bags A to B to C, and you can just pedal along. But a colleague of my wife's made all the arrangements herself, and she and her husband carried very few non-cycling clothes, using the yukata from the inn where they were staying as their walk about clothing after a day of bike riding - which I guess is ok in some areas where spas and ryokans are plentiful?

If you decide to take Vertical Doug's excellent suggestion to go to hiking around Hakone and Nikko (that's on our list for future trips too) you might stop in at Goro Boots in Tokyo and get a pair of boots made. We stopped there once, but it was closed for some reason - English-only mystery - so we'll have to try again.
    Last edited by j44ke; 3 Weeks Ago at 03:55 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by palincss View Post
    Go to Jan Heine's blog and search for "Rinko."
    These are really cool. I wish I knew about this concept six months ago. It looks like you could do a CrossCheck without breaking the bank.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ABiCi View Post
    Another vote for the Shimanami Kaido, really nice riding across all the bridges and islands.
    We're looking at this a bit more. Weather is a bit of a concern. From a bit of Googling, it looks like temps range from mid-30s to low-50s in March, and it rains about half the days out of the month. Riding at 50* and raining can be miserable... or it can be just fine. I'm guessing that's more of a light drizzle type rain than sideways-seek-shelter type rain, but I'd be curious to hear from anyone who has actually been there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We're looking at this a bit more. Weather is a bit of a concern. From a bit of Googling, it looks like temps range from mid-30s to low-50s in March, and it rains about half the days out of the month. Riding at 50* and raining can be miserable... or it can be just fine. I'm guessing that's more of a light drizzle type rain than sideways-seek-shelter type rain, but I'd be curious to hear from anyone who has actually been there.
    I was there in the middle of summer, so can't really give you much assistance I'm afraid.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My wife is from Okayama and I have to visit the in-laws on occasion. March is the windiest time if year in Japan. But you are out in open on sea so it should not be too bad. It is worse in the mountains where you can get foehn winds this time of year and you get wind corridors on some of the mountain roads. I 'd get hammer this time of year in the Osaka-Kyoto corridor along the Yodogawa river.

If you have a few days along the inland sea, you may want to head to Awaji and try to see the Naruto tidal whirlpools.

If you want to stay closer to home, a short trip to Shimoda might be nice. It's really a summer scene, but being the off season, the roads should be free of traffic. There is great cycling going up into the mountains and along the coast. If you can go on a weekday, I'd ride hwy 15 across the pass and you can get great views of Mt Fuji from the west side across the bay.