Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thomson X2 Stem Breakage ???

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't relay what I meant in my previous post and it was certainly not a dig at the greasing advice.

A torque wrench is a wonderful device if you know what to do with it. In the automotive world you are given a torque spec which is what you should do the fastener up to, this spec should tell you if it's dry or using a certain lubrication/threadlock.

If you have a dry spec and add oil you will be able to tighten the fastener significantly further than if it was dry and so over tighten yet remain in spec.

On a bike part I tend to tighten to spec with whatever grease is on the part already. Unless the part is never going to come off if assembled dry in which case I'll use common sense (experience).

The other issue with bike parts is that they were designed to be used with many different other bike parts. In a car engine I get head studs and know that they are designed for my block and cylinder head. A stem however on a carbon steerer may not need 5nm of torque, on a steel one 'might' need a little more.

If you've not got a torque wrench tighten things using an old fashioned allen ky and on;y use your finger tips. 5nm will start to feel a little dificult.

Post Thanks / Like

Most torque specs are given with assumption that the threads and bolt head surface are properly lubed with a suitable grease/ anti-seize compound,

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
    sidenote question: what impact does greasing the threads (on any part, basically) have on torque spec (or rather, torque applied)? thanks.
    never stick anything in a dry hole.........
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by steve garro View Post
    ...advice timeless for the ages......

Post Thanks / Like

i use teflon tape to prevent leakage, thank you.

Post Thanks / Like

... if it would last forever it would be so heavy that no one would want one.
    oh you mean like STEEL BIKE FRAMES?

sorry I just couldn't let that one alone---

Post Thanks / Like

i have 0 experience with a broken stem.

but my question is that the same 'gorillas' are probably overtorquing everything, stems, seatposts, derailleur clamps, yada yada yada... not just selectively overtightening their thomson x2 faceplates.

then the question is, why on this forum and a couple others, the reports are of thomson x2 faceplates cracking/failing and not other brands of stems?

just a query, since this is something i've noticed. i'm sure you can find cases of other brands failing as well, but the thomson x2 seems to have come up more than other popular aftermarket models. i'm skeptical enough to hold off on jumping on the thomson train. at least the x2.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ahneida Ride Hide View Post
    I had an X2 for about 2 years. It cracked ...
    I missed the hairline crack. Kelly pointed it out to me from 10 yards away.
    Where did that crack form? Is it in the same spot every time?
    I'm trying to picture how this would happen.
    It's a two-bolt system, and the faceplate and stem interlock to share torque and abuse - so I'm trying to picture what's failing with so much co-reliant metal.
    I ride an X2, and am not too worried - just curious.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by N@Weller View Post
    oh you mean like STEEL BIKE FRAMES?

not necessisarily heavy, nor do they last forever...........
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by El Chaba View Post
    Most torque specs are given with assumption that the threads and bolt head surface are properly lubed with a suitable grease/ anti-seize compound,
    From Thomson:

November, 2007 Notes on Torque
    Our instructions for both our stems and seatposts call for grease, not anti-seize, only on the threads of the bolts. Greasing under the heads of the bolt is not needed and can greatly change the amount of force generated by the bolt at our recommended torque, this can lead to premature failure of your components. With all Thomson products please take special care to grease only the threads of the bolt and use a torque wrench. Doing these things prolongs component life and gives you a better margin of safety while riding.

st

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Thomson X2 Stem Breakage ???

Reviving this old thread. Whilst wrenching on a customer's bike today I discovered his stem had not only a cracked faceplate but also each of the side tabs was cracked - three cracks in total.

Check those stems, kids.
    Steve Hampsten
    www.hampsten.blogspot.com
    "hey, we got grenades!"

Post Thanks / Like

Ride only forged 4-bolt stems.

Post Thanks / Like

I had an X2 develop a hairline crack along the bottom of the stem (at the bar end). I did not install it and it was out of warranty because I didn't install it until a few years after it was originally purchased.

Post Thanks / Like

I find the idea that a 140 gram stem only lasts 2 years absurd... For comparison a simple google search indicates it's a rather specific Thomson X2 issue.

"Thomson X2 cracks" leads you onto pages full of trouble.
    "Deda zero cracks" leads you to a few complaints of carbon cracks, but nothing of breaking alloy.

Anything can break, but this does not seem to be okay.
    Support your local bike shop.

Post Thanks / Like

Thomson X2 stem should be avoided period.

Although I didn't spot any crack on mine (used only 3years) there are enough evidence on the internet about this specific issue. Sure you should install a stem with a torque wrench but once in the wild it is not uncommon to readjust the handlebars with a mulitool, especially as the x2 is also prone to slip even with the use of carbon paste. I had to use some flavor of loctite in the stem/handlebar interface to stop the handlebar slippage at the very tiniest pothole.

Too bad as I think it is a very pretty stem.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like

YMMV
    no issues using X2 for racing CX (8+ years of BASPS, starting back in the Golden Gate Park days . . .)

that said...check your X2...maybe I've been "lucky"

West Chester, Pennsylvania, United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Add another X2 to the list with no issues. I like to mash rather than spin and I've got a wide bar hooked up to the steerer tube through an X2 on my 29er.
    Bill Showers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    Thomson X2 stem should be avoided period.

Although I didn't spot any crack on mine (used only 3years) there are enough evidence on the internet about this specific issue. Sure you should install a stem with a torque wrench but once in the wild it is not uncommon to readjust the handlebars with a mulitool, especially as the x2 is also prone to slip even with the use of carbon paste. I had to use some flavor of loctite in the stem/handlebar interface to stop the handlebar slippage at the very tiniest pothole.

Too bad as I think it is a very pretty stem.
    I had an X2 let my handlebars slip once. It is extremely unsettling. It was loud and the bars ended up in a different position. I ordered a 4-bolt Deda the same day and have had no issues with Deda and 3T 4-bolt stems.

Post Thanks / Like

I just took delivery on an X2 for an all-road/gravel bike. *gulps*.

I suppose I will step out in faith and diligently torque and grease only threads. Pray for Mojo.

200w_d.gif

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BSUdude View Post
    Ride only forged 4-bolt stems.
    +1

Fractured my arm because of a x2. The 2 bolt system just couldn't support my weight or strength and slipped on my at the worst time. Threw me head over heals into traffic. And yes... I used a torq wrench. Don't do it if you are bigger rider.