Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of getting some carbon wheels

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Thinking of getting some carbon wheels

Iím currently riding a Caad10, on Zonda wheels.

Iím thinking of going carbon. BTLOS seems to have good prices and the wheelset I just bought for my MTB turned out great.

Iím thinking a good all around wheelset would be 40mm, premium/extra-light, DT240, 20/24.

Couple questions:
    - braking surface. They list options for grid, arrow, arc shaped braking surface. Does it matter?
    - comes to 1,344g. I think Zonda is 1,500. Any other wheels I should consider?

Thanks.

https://btlos.com/road-bike/r-carbon...on-road-wheels

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Thinking of getting some carbon wheels

I rode Zondas for a good while with a couple of different tyre combos. My boss now rides on my old set now and loves them too. They felt good to me - they roll nicely and brake just fine with clean well set pads. Zondas are my ideal all rounder alloy wheel, not too heavy, flexible enough to suck up some road bump and buzz and seem to be uber reliable build wise from all accounts.

If you want carbon then I'd suggest you get a considerably lighter weight set than your Zondas ie) closer to 1000grams than 1500 grams if you want to feel a perceptible difference. I adore my Campag Bora One 35 tubulars esp. at only 1086 grams on my scales. The Bora 35 clincher sets are only a little heavier than that. They offer a genuine perceptible difference in performance compared to Zondas. They accelerate considerably faster and yet are not too light on speedy decents and are very comfortable to ride.

What I'm saying is I think Zondas are hard to beat as an all rounder in the bang for bucks stakes. I've ridden a lot of carbon wheels, Zipp 303 and 404, Corima in a couple of 47mm versions, Xentis Squad 4.2, Hyperon tubulars, Mavic Cosmic Carbone Ultimate and even Madfiber. All of these were fast lightweight offerings but none have the everyday ride / all round sensibilities of the Bora 35.

Buy a 2nd hand pair of Boras........... or save your money and stick to the already very good Zondas.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you swap your Zondas for carbon wheels, don't do that for the speed but for the sound or because you want to ride a different tire format (tubulars or tubeless) as it is the only thing likely to make a significative difference in your riding experience.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I personally wouldn't go for light wheels as for me, where I live, I thought they were shit everywhere except accelerating uphill. Just get the ones you like the look of. I bought deep mavic ust something's and love them. 60 something mm deep and heavier than your zondas. They're awesome.
    Lee James Jones
    105 fan

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I ride Shamals mostly. Those have been aluminum rimmed wheels. They now have a disc brake carbon version. I think the aluminum version is pretty amazing. They are stiff in the right way and aero enough. Moving from a traditional spoked wheel to the Shamals was eye opening. I think they are 1450g. Never had a problem with durability.

I think with carbon rims used with caliper brakes, the brake track is very important. Easy to make a rim, tough to make a proper brake track. No idea who or what the company you linked is or what their reputation is. Might just be an inexpensive carbon rim maker. Campagnolo makes great carbon rims with some of the best brake tracks on the market. Iíve ridden Boras and braking power is at least as good as that of my Shamals if not better.

A budget carbon wheel is not a carbon wheel but instead is a really top quality aluminum wheel.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Moving from a traditional spoked wheel to the Shamals was eye opening.
    Sorry, a bit OT, but could you please elaborate?
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hoch View Post
    I’m currently riding a Caad10, on Zonda wheels.

I’m thinking of going carbon. BTLOS seems to have good prices and the wheelset I just bought for my MTB turned out great.

I’m thinking a good all around wheelset would be 40mm, premium/extra-light, DT240, 20/24.

Couple questions:
    - braking surface. They list options for grid, arrow, arc shaped braking surface. Does it matter?
    - comes to 1,344g. I think Zonda is 1,500. Any other wheels I should consider?

Thanks.

I think a good place to start is to articulate what you want out of the hoops. If the look of carbon rims is important, then that's one thing. If not, then other factors may actually point to alloy hoops, as others have said.
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chik View Post
    Sorry, a bit OT, but could you please elaborate?
    This is my own impression based on zero science. Iíve had some nice hand-built wheels. But the Shamals felt fast the first time I put them on. I would guess that they are stiffer laterally than my previous favorites - a pair of Open Pros with Record hubs and Sapim Laser spokes. I certainly never have been able to make them rub the brake pads when climbing, which I have with handbuilts. And they must have some aero gains as they feel a lot better in cross and head winds. Kind of uncanny actually. I got the first pair while spending winters at the beach and winds were ferocious, so the difference was readily apparent. And they are lighter. Beforehand I though most of the rhetoric around factory-built wheels was marketing and fashion-based aesthetics. But they feel fast light and easier to spin in winds. And so far they have been very durable every day riding wheels. So I was a bit shocked that I felt enough difference to have to admit that it wasnít all marketing and fashion.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hoch View Post
    BTLOS seems to have good prices and the wheelset I just bought for my MTB turned out great.

I'm sure they're acceptable; and these guys probably/possibly make rims for a lot of other folk out there... but they seem *too* cheap; and they look *very* cheap - by which I mean, the aesthetics of them make them look cheaper than their prices.

Don't get me wrong, cheap is good - and I sure wish more bike stuff was cheaper - but... yeah.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RichTheRoadie View Post
    I'm sure they're acceptable; and these guys probably/possibly make rims for a lot of other folk out there... but they seem *too* cheap; and they look *very* cheap - by which I mean, the aesthetics of them make them look cheaper than their prices.

Don't get me wrong, cheap is good - and I sure wish more bike stuff was cheaper - but... yeah.
    They are very good rims. I don't know what seems "too cheap" means. You can pay more if it makes you feel better, but no reason to. And they can all be ordered in without decals.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is plenty of discussion of btlos across the hall - including from credible wheelbuilders. That helped push me over the edge to try a pair. I have about 300km on my set and what can I say: Ďthey are wheelsí. Meaning they function just fine and I donít really notice anything remarkable one way or the other. I went for dt240 hubs and the grid grapheme braking surface. These replaced a set of worn enves as I didnít want to spend a lot replacing wheels on my sole remaining rim brake bike. I would peg the braking within the same realm as the previous generation enve. It works but mainly makes me miss my disc brakes.

I freely admit i chose this over an aluminum rim because i like the way carbon looks. I continue to contend that within reason this is as good a way to choose wheels as any. I went for matte with no logos and they look great.

I have many many years experience riding top tier aluminum rims such as Hed belgiums. Do they work marginally better braking, sure - but the difference between either set of rim brake wheels vs discs is greater overall. Further, I like that carbon wheels are stronger having dented plenty of aluminum rims.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the feedback.

To answer some questions. My main motivation for looking at carbon is NOT for looks, but performance. On my mountain bike, I really like how stiff the wheels are when standing and mashing. I didn’t think I could feel the difference but it was surprising. They were also lighter than my last set (aluminum) by about 200g.

I have no issues with Zonda’s. They’re good wheels. Just looking for something a little faster so I can keep up easier with people I ride with. :)

Braking—I live in the Rockies. Typical ride is 2-4K+ ft gain/descent so I do want good braking performance. Understandably, going carbon may mean slight decrease in performance but if other factors outweigh this, I can live with that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is it windy where you ride? Deep(er) carbon rims and sidewinds on descents are among my least favorite things, ymmv.
    Steve Hampsten
    www.hampsten.blogspot.com
    "Tighten the wingnuts!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hampco View Post
    Is it windy where you ride? Deep(er) carbon rims and sidewinds on descents are among my least favorite things, ymmv.
    Yes, I frequently ride up the canyon so it does get windy. Although generally, it’s head/tail wind.
    What rim depth would you recommend?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just came here to say that for price conscious rim-brake carbon wheels with climbing and windy descents in the mix = Campagnolo Bora One 35mm. Or the newer WTO in whatever the lower profile depth is. For the price, the Bora Ones are impossible to beat.

The brake track is as good or better than any of my aluminum Campagnolo system wheels and that’s saying a lot. With the Campagnolo red pads, they saved my bacon more than a few times.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The people who do aero testing say that roughly 80-90% of the aero benefits come from an aero style rim as opposed to a box rim. Deeper is better, but that affects the last 10-20%. Front is more important than rear. I have a Bora 35 front and a 50 on back. We get some pretty good coastal crosswinds, and that combination seems pretty good. I also have a set of Zipp 404's. I do think they're a bit faster but they can be a bit of a handful in strong crosswinds. I think they are 58mm front and rear, so if you are concerned about crosswinds I'd stick to something in the 35mm range.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To testify for the strength of carbon: I got a stick in my rear mtb wheel that threw the chain between the cassette and the spokes. Ripped 3 spokes (close together) in half without damage to the nipple/ rim interface or hub.
    Rode the wheel to the car without problems.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by open roader View Post

Buy a 2nd hand pair of Boras........... or save your money and stick to the already very good Zondas.
    How much do you enjoy futzing?

I don't really enjoy futzing at all.

I have two bikes.

Two sets of wheels each.

Same manufacturer, same rim material, same brake track dimensions.

I have no idea WTF a BTLOS is, but it sounds like swapping wheels means changing pads and maybe also repositioning them. No thanks.
    "As an homage to the EPOdays of yore- I'd find the world's last remaining pair of 40cm ergonomic drop bars.....i think everyone who ever liked those handlebars in that shape and in that width is either dead of a drug overdose, works in the Schaerbeek mattress factory now and weighs 300 pounds or is Dr. Davey Bruylandts...who for all I know is doing both of those things." - Jerk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any have experience with the Dura-Ace C40-TL carbon disc wheels? I'm trying to help a buddy find a set of wheels to replace some cracked ENVEs. All the Dura-Ace wheels I've used in the past were excellent, but it's been years since I had any so I don't want to make any assumptions before sending him off to drop some serious coin. Thanks in advance!
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    Any have experience with the Dura-Ace C40-TL carbon disc wheels? I'm trying to help a buddy find a set of wheels to replace some cracked ENVEs. All the Dura-Ace wheels I've used in the past were excellent, but it's been years since I had any so I don't want to make any assumptions before sending him off to drop some serious coin. Thanks in advance!
    I thought you were a Fulcrum fan. Any particular reason why you're not recommending a set of Fulcrum? (Sorry, no idea about the DAs in question.)
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast