Thread: Thinking about Lightweight Meilenstein

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Thinking about Lightweight Meilenstein

Quote Originally Posted by rabo View Post
    I don't think Pro teams even invest in tubeless wheels.
    Paris -Tours now as Paris -Roubaix: Viewers love it; Riders hate it.
    It's not exactly comparable to Paris-Roubaix.The vineyards paths are slippery but definitely not as rough. Some riders loved that new course. Not the sprinters obviously.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dogrange View Post
    It is clear where this is going!
    Yep sort of like the idea

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lionel View Post
    Just realized in the last 10 minutes that the Meilenstein are now available in 24mm width. Game changing
    Wider, yes - but still with the same profile, so crosswinds will still be an issue.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

While rim width makes a lot of difference on clinchers/tubeless rims I don't think it matters that much in a tubular context if the overall shape and aero efficiency do not evolve a lot. But I believe you have to scratch that itch and make your own judgement on that particular wheelset. I don't think any account of real life experience will make a difference.

Try a set and report back.
    Last edited by sk_tle; 10-09-2018 at 05:45 PM.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wait, did anyone mention the new WTO Boras?

This must be an option, right?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    Is it possible that they were state of the art in 1996 but in 2018 they haven’t really evolved?

But it sounds like an itch that needs to be scratched.
    Ding ding ding!

I do not really subscribe to this. The basic design is not new but when a design is sound it lasts. Case in point the Bora. It's an awesome wheel and has not really evolved much over the last decade. Better braking track, slightly wider. The hub design is ultra old and the best in the business. I am more worried about the shit that changes every year like Zipp or Enve.
    I love Boras, maybe more than any other hoop. But the hub is not the best in the business. This is lolworthy.

Moscon was also on them. I think for a punchy climb they are hard to beat as the combo of light and stiff is great for that.
    Bike racers are dumb. Bike racers also ride equipment that they think will give them a distinct advantage in a very particular part of a competition. EG, a short, ultra-punchy climb where total efficiency and stiffness at 600w is going to rule the day. It's a balanced equation. LW are generally horrible wheels to live with, but they do well in very specific circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by happycampyer View Post
    I was going to say that the only person I know who frequents this place and has experience with all of the above is you...
    Or me.

<3

ps: save your money, give it to charity, maybe buy some altos if you want the technical best, or just buy some LW for thicc dickwaggling steeze

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^

What happened here? Roll a tubular?
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^ and to think that happened before he put the pedals on.
    Rick Stubblefield

If the process is more important than the result, you play. If the result is more important than the process, you work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    just buy some LW for thicc dickwaggling steeze
    Y'know, up until now this thread had done an awesome job of convincing me that I never wanted to bother with Lightweights.
    But man, if I can be privy to some "thicc dickwaggling steeze" then cot-dammit sign me up!

:::dancing banana:::

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
    Y'know, up until now this thread had done an awesome job of convincing me that I never wanted to bother with Lightweights.
    But man, if I can be privy to some "thicc dickwaggling steeze" then cot-dammit sign me up!

:::dancing banana:::
    now you're getting it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

a bunch of stuff here....

Boras are great. they stay in true- they don't flex too much from side to side during hard changes in tempo and they're reasonably light and aero. i'd say 75% of the bike we sell here at Summer Cycles get Boras

Corima is not the same company it was- it's owned by Look now. Their wheels are really good- certainly comparable to the Boras. If you are too fat or too skinny for Boras we build a lot of custom wheels with Corima rims- but I'm also a huge fan of their pre-built wheels. They're another wheel designed for ProTour Racing and they just work.

I'm going to be in the minority here. I have every reason to hate Lightweights. You can't make money selling them, the availability is awful, and they are not really a retail product. they are way too stiff for most people- but they are the fastest wheels. for me- a fernweg tubular in the 60mm section is the ultimate race wheel. they're not particularly light- but they are the best wheel if you are going fast in a road race with lots of changes in tempo- hard corners- and you need a wheel that is going to be confident when you slam into a pothole at 45km /h or try to drive the inside of a corner and aren't sure you can really fit in that hole. frankly- they make me a better rider.

we have the meillensteins and fernwegs here for folks to demo as well as both Bora 35s and 50s. We also have a set of Corima 55mm rims built up 28r24f to a set of Onyx hubs which are a pretty amazing wheel if you want something that rides like a cosmic carbone on steroids. great big guy wheel-

anyway as the guy who does the aerotacks i can tell your demo rim brake bike has Bora 50s on it most of the time but right now it has Fernweg 80s and the disc brake one always has Meilenstein discs. We heart both Boras and Lightweights here. I can't really imagine anyone finding fault with either wheel.
    bamboo, aluminum, wood.

My name is Craig Gaulzetti.

www.summercycles.com

www.gaulzetti.co

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm so looking forward for a creative soul to make the video:
    "Mein Fuhrer" "people in the street are saying""Meillensteins are scheisse".

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TTX1 View Post
    Wait, did anyone mention the new WTO Boras?

This must be an option, right?
    No tubular option. So this is not an option.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love Boras, maybe more than any other hoop. But the hub is not the best in the business. This is lolworthy.
    Oh yeah and which hubs are better ? None of the ones I owned, that includes: Tune, DT240, DT190, I9, WI, Mavic, Hope, CK and Royce.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jerk View Post
    a bunch of cool stuff...
    Ridden the rim brake LW's? Braking performance?
    I'll never own LW's as they are way beyond my pay grade, but just to continue on the conversation...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh yeah and which hubs are better ? None of the ones I owned, that includes: Tune, DT240, DT190, I9, WI, Mavic, Hope, CK and Royce.
    Before answering that question you need to define "better". Because "better" greatly depends on what criteria matters most to you.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Virtually all hubs these days are good (though we continue to hear about Zipp hubs...... maybe they’re good now. Don’t know but it doesn’t matter to me because I’m not a likely Zipp customer). Campagnolo hubs are designed to be part of a whole wheel. I’m surprised they still sell stand alone hubs.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis View Post
    Before answering that question you need to define "better". Because "better" greatly depends on what criteria matters most to you.
    This...
    laughter has no foreign accent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jerk View Post
    a bunch of stuff here....

Boras are great. they stay in true- they don't flex too much from side to side during hard changes in tempo and they're reasonably light and aero. i'd say 75% of the bike we sell here at Summer Cycles get Boras

Corima is not the same company it was- it's owned by Look now. Their wheels are really good- certainly comparable to the Boras. If you are too fat or too skinny for Boras we build a lot of custom wheels with Corima rims- but I'm also a huge fan of their pre-built wheels. They're another wheel designed for ProTour Racing and they just work.

I'm going to be in the minority here. I have every reason to hate Lightweights. You can't make money selling them, the availability is awful, and they are not really a retail product. they are way too stiff for most people- but they are the fastest wheels. for me- a fernweg tubular in the 60mm section is the ultimate race wheel. they're not particularly light- but they are the best wheel if you are going fast in a road race with lots of changes in tempo- hard corners- and you need a wheel that is going to be confident when you slam into a pothole at 45km /h or try to drive the inside of a corner and aren't sure you can really fit in that hole. frankly- they make me a better rider.

we have the meillensteins and fernwegs here for folks to demo as well as both Bora 35s and 50s. We also have a set of Corima 55mm rims built up 28r24f to a set of Onyx hubs which are a pretty amazing wheel if you want something that rides like a cosmic carbone on steroids. great big guy wheel-
    Interesting. I always found LW to ride too stiff, to the point that the bike doesn't like to corner (also, rides like shit), an absolute 180 to the Corima rims (foam cores for lyfe!), not to mention atrocious crosswind behavior and awful braking. I just don't think of them as wheels for the real world - a lot like the set of Reynolds RZR46s I had.

Funny you bring up Corima, next to Bora my favorite wheels/rims...

Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis View Post
    just buy some LW for thicc dickwaggling steeze
    also, Dura-Ace or DT240 hubs. Game/set/match. Destroyed too many Campy hubs to feel the love.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess it comes down to preference on wheels. Always liked the way my older LW handled short of the braking that was average and the fact that they are catching quite a lot of side wind. Never cared for Corima (had 2 pairs).

Calling a DT240 hub as good as a campy bora ultra hub beats me, not even close IMHO.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast