Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about Lightweight Meilenstein

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Thinking about Lightweight Meilenstein

Is it possible that they were state of the art in 1996 but in 2018 they haven’t really evolved?

But it sounds like an itch that needs to be scratched.
    Last edited by Saab2000; 10-08-2018 at 10:30 AM.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting that during the worlds, when it seems sponsorship doesn’t matter because of national teams ‘n all that, Kwiatkowski and another Sky rider whose name escapes me, chose to ride Lightweights........maybe for the climbs maybe for the stiffness who knows?.......but they chose them
    Real World persona : Andy Corso

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    Is it possible that they were state of the art in 1996 but in 2018 they haven’t really evolved?
    I do not really subscribe to this. The basic design is not new but when a design is sound it lasts. Case in point the Bora. It's an awesome wheel and has not really evolved much over the last decade. Better braking track, slightly wider. The hub design is ultra old and the best in the business. I am more worried about the shit that changes every year like Zipp or Enve.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by corko View Post
    Interesting that during the worlds, when it seems sponsorship doesn’t matter because of national teams ‘n all that, Kwiatkowski and another Sky rider whose name escapes me, chose to ride Lightweights........maybe for the climbs maybe for the stiffness who knows?.......but they chose them
    Moscon was also on them. I think for a punchy climb they are hard to beat as the combo of light and stiff is great for that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lionel, PM sent. Tim

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lionel View Post
    Moscon was also on them. I think for a punchy climb they are hard to beat as the combo of light and stiff is great for that.
    I see what you did there!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Porter View Post
    Lionel, PM sent. Tim
    I was going to say that the only person I know who frequents this place and has experience with all of the above is you...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by corko View Post
    They chose them because they were available and they like new toys, just like everyone else - I wouldn’t read anything more into it than that.

Lightweights are still exotic looking but they’re not better wheels, not anymore

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With respect to aesthetics, to each his own (although my training says otherwise), but I have a question about physics.

Applied aerodynamics is an evolving science in that we are still learning, which leads to design changes and such. I'm not implying at all that the latest designs work better, but there is nothing to suggest that we have stopped learning and improving. Neither have we with respect to composites, but that's another matter altogether.

As for the matter of stiffness (radial), I have yet to come across any quantitative data that explains meaningful variance in vertical compliance amongst various wheels, excepting those built with box rims. I'm intrigued by observations about LW being, if I understood them correctly, radially stiffer than other wheels with carbon rims of similar depth / profile. Could someone knowledgeable explain, please?

Absolutely no help to Lionel, but hey...
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn't try any of the options, neither the ones I am going to suggest, but you are one hour and a half away from the Corima factory. To my understanding, their testing program is very good, and their wheels top-notch. You can try the MCC (carbon spokes, stiffer) and the S+ (normal spokes, more comfy?), get an idea of what fits you better and have something different from Campy and more modern than LW (they are narrow and quite famous for their bad handling in windy conditions). That way you help the local companies and I am sure you will not loose any performance: if they are good to win all three grand tours I am sure they will be good enough for any of us. In my case the MCC are the wheels I lust after the most and living also in France (although further from the factory) is what I would purchase.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nachetetm View Post
    I didn't try any of the options, neither the ones I am going to suggest, but you are one hour and a half away from the Corima factory. To my understanding, their testing program is very good, and their wheels top-notch. You can try the MCC (carbon spokes, stiffer) and the S+ (normal spokes, more comfy?), get an idea of what fits you better and have something different from Campy and more modern than LW (they are narrow and quite famous for their bad handling in windy conditions). That way you help the local companies and I am sure you will not loose any performance: if they are good to win all three grand tours I am sure they will be good enough for any of us. In my case the MCC are the wheels I lust after the most and living also in France (although further from the factory) is what I would purchase.
    Corima is not in the cards. Had their wheels before and was not impressed at all. Their customer service is also horrible and I needed it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Corima is not in the cards. Had their wheels before and was not impressed at all. Their customer service is also horrible and I needed it.
    Good to know it! Although things may have change a bit, since now they are owned by Look.
    Good luck with your purchase!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    They chose them because they were available and they like new toys, just like everyone else - I wouldn’t read anything more into it than that.

Lightweights are still exotic looking but they’re not better wheels, not anymore
    Pros are well known for their poor equipment decision skills, relying on feeling, tradition and urban myths instead of data and statistics. Last cyclingnews article mention a number of riders and teams complaining of their Paris-Tour race ruined by flats on the new route. Yet even as a tubular lover my first thought at the lecture of the new route was they should ride tubeless with sealant .
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm sure the Bora's are are better choice on every dimension. Whatever, where is our F8 revisited ride report?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dogrange View Post
    I'm sure the Bora's are are better choice on every dimension. Whatever, where is our F8 revisited ride report?
    Well, I got it Sat and it's been raining non stop till then and I am leaving for CA tomorrow.... So it's about a week away!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just realized in the last 10 minutes that the Meilenstein are now available in 24mm width. Game changing

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just realized in the last 10 minutes that the Meilenstein are now available in 24mm width. Game changing
    It is clear where this is going!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My take away from ridding a set of LW is that they are stupid stiff, in a good way. No other wheel I have tried accelerates like a set of LW. When it came to carrying speed at 20mph+ they just didn't hold like my Bora 50 did. I have not revisited LW since selling them. Oh I also broke a spoke for no apparent reason.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    Last cyclingnews article mention a number of riders and teams complaining of their Paris-Tour race ruined by flats on the new route. Yet even as a tubular lover my first thought at the lecture of the new route was they should ride tubeless with sealant .
    I don't think Pro teams even invest in tubeless wheels.
    Paris -Tours now as Paris -Roubaix: Viewers love it; Riders hate it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

paris tours will be better next year

teams were not ready and it sounds like a few of the tracks were a bit rough

i like the change

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast