Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Thinking about a FS 29er

Quote Originally Posted by suspectdevice View Post
    Pretty much no, but sorta-kinda yeah.
    Kevin who owns Evil now owns a branding agency that used to do graphic design work for Ironhorse back when Weagle was doing suspension work for them, Dave Weagle still does the suspension kinematics for the bikes, and one of the kids(You remember MiniChase from HCOR, right?) who used to race for E.13/Evil does some of the industrial design work.

Weagle and John P(now the marketing manager for Yeti, FWIW) founded Evil as a chainguide company(and then spun off e.13 as a brand-neutral component company) many moons ago in Maine(although the stickers always said Boston, and the component production was based in Central MA).

Weagle bought out John P, then a few years later sold E.13 to The Hive out in CA, at about the same time Ironhorse went bankrupt.

Weagle, Kevin and Todd Seplavy(was the IH product manager, is the GT MTB PM now), re-started the Evil bike brand, but Todd quickly left for Specialized(where he brought in Sam Hill and Brendan Fairclough), Todd was replaced by Gabe Fox who had been a PM for Cove bikes, and for a few years the Evil brand had both steel trail hardtails and a spectacular aluminum DH bike that faced many production issues... For a few years Evil was pretty much dead... smart move on Kevin's part calling their re-entry to the mtb market the Undead, and covering everything with Zombies. Who doesn't love zombies!

With a move over to carbon frames, and then a subsequent move to a different frame factory, the Evil bikes have been pretty reliable the last few years, but it is hard to recommend them for long-legged folks who are fastidious about bike setup as the seat angles are too dang slack across the board and you end up with pretty significant knee pain during extended seat up pedaling sessions as your butt is behind the rear axle if you are a taller person.
    Good Lord, fascinating soap opera. You should option this for a movie script.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by andrew flowers View Post
    i think it depends on how you look at uphills

one will be like riding a wc race bike

the other will get you up nearly as well, but be more fun for everything else
    Yeah but with that logic you go from the Remedy to the Slash too and end up with a bike 8 pounds heavier ;)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All what Mickey said.

I ride a remedy currently and have ridden EX and the top fuel.

All are very similar pedal performance. My Remedy feels like the closet thing I have ever felt XC wise for a full sus besides a Specialized that just didn't have any suspension performance at all but that was kind of my fault for not taking the time to set up the bike.

And I've ridden just about every mtb over the last 5 years worth riding.

1 reason I wouldn't recommend the Santa Cruz besides the other noted reasons of short TT is that there bikes really feel like a single pivot and almost bottomless travel. They are less Race oriented.

The Treks are great off the top in terms of small bump but they ramp up or have more progression than VPP. Small bump is given to the full floater and shock tune.

Also the split pivot deal in the back is legit for trail braking.

As a suspension guy who gets paid to know stuff, that Penske rear shock is pretty damn impressive. I'd wager they will have a piggy back version next year to keep things a little more controlled for their EWS riders and the Aetherton's but it's something that can always be thrown on later down the road by current owners.

I talked with the guys a PUSH and if I can really get out on my MTB more than 5 times this year I'm considering their rear shock. Coil goodness.
    Not Riding!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And for what it's worth.

Trek Remedy 9.9 29 - Review - Pinkbike

Don't read the comments. These kids are a bunch of turds but the reviewer knows his bike.
    Not Riding!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kazimer (author) is a friend and one of the best cyclists I've ridden with. He is also an incredible wrench and a true good guy. I trust him and I don't trust anyone in the industry.

Quote Originally Posted by pdxmech13 View Post
    And for what it's worth.

Trek Remedy 9.9 29 - Review - Pinkbike

Don't read the comments. These kids are a bunch of turds but the reviewer knows his bike.
    Jason Babcock

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All what Mickey said.

I ride a remedy currently and have ridden EX and the top fuel.

All are very similar pedal performance. My Remedy feels like the closet thing I have ever felt XC wise for a full sus besides a Specialized that just didn't have any suspension performance at all but that was kind of my fault for not taking the time to set up the bike.

And I've ridden just about every mtb over the last 5 years worth riding.

1 reason I wouldn't recommend the Santa Cruz besides the other noted reasons of short TT is that there bikes really feel like a single pivot and almost bottomless travel. They are less Race oriented.

The Treks are great off the top in terms of small bump but they ramp up or have more progression than VPP. Small bump is given to the full floater and shock tune.

Also the split pivot deal in the back is legit for trail braking.

As a suspension guy who gets paid to know stuff, that Penske rear shock is pretty damn impressive. I'd wager they will have a piggy back version next year to keep things a little more controlled for their EWS riders and the Aetherton's but it's something that can always be thrown on later down the road by current owners.

I talked with the guys a PUSH and if I can really get out on my MTB more than 5 times this year I'm considering their rear shock. Coil goodness.
    Thanks for the thoughts. So how would you compare the EX and the Remedy specifically ? As you say they have the same suspension design that seems to be top performing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh. And 1 other thing.

I deal with Trek in many different facets on my day to day thing. Be it direct, dealers and sometime consumer's to my own personal use.

They will make any situation right at the end of the day....frame problem, component problem, vendor problem. You name it they have the end user's back.

I give them props to still making some pretty cool stuff here in the US. Only bike company I know of that has supported an airliner (Boeing) with carbon tech.

But enough about them. You still need to ride one.

And for all the folks here that have liked Scott stuff. You need to get out on the 27.5+ full sus. Best 27.5+ bike at the moment.
    Not Riding!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That Remedy looks like it has a very short TT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Remedy is the more stable of the 2 for pointing it down hill.

It's every bit as capable up as the EX, it just has that little bit more stable and balanced feel when pushing the envelope down.

The stock options are geared a little more trail to with the Remedy but I would guess you would probably go with a build option to get the stock parts you want and a 2X which I think is a good idea for 29.

When did Trek's website start sucking and looking like something a web designer thought of while AOL instant messaging there pal?
    Not Riding!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

About the time they decided all their sponsored athletes needed baseball uniforms.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's every bit as capable up as the EX, it just has that little bit more stable and balanced feel when pushing the envelope down.
    As capable but something like 3 or 4 pounds heavier with a bit slacker head angle. It probably matters some, 3 pounds is 3 pounds ;)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, but when you're hauling ass, 3 degrees difference in HTA is 3 degrees difference in HTA (and maybe your ass).
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chasea View Post
    Yes, but when you're hauling ass, 3 degrees difference in HTA is 3 degrees difference in HTA (and maybe your ass).
    And 3 deg HTA is also the difference between a World Cup-winning DH race bike and an everyday trailbike for a lot of folk, making this shit-garbage babble trash-worthy, "atmo". I dunno, from what you're describing, something like a Top Fuel, a Spark, an Oiz, an Epic, an ASR-C - those are your wheelhouse, not the bigger-travel-turned-confidence-compensators we're subject to right now (tic, of course). Your style of riding, at least from your writing, is what I'd describe as "confident XC", which is nothing to be ashamed of. Hell, it's pretty much where I find myself (shitty DH-kiddie turned "pro"-roadie) most of the time on knobbies.

Lionel, the big scoop on mountain bikes is that it takes riding a lot...A LOT...to know what you like. I'm lucky, as an industry schmuck ne'rer-do-well, to have ridden said pre-defiined qualifier. Road bikes are pretty easy, but if you're serious about buying an MTB you really love, ride the fuck out of each and every one you think might qualify.

But...what the fuck do I know? I just sling expensive road bikes every day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    And 3 deg HTA is also the difference between a World Cup-winning DH race bike and an everyday trailbike for a lot of folk, making this shit-garbage babble trash-worthy, "atmo". I dunno, from what you're describing, something like a Top Fuel, a Spark, an Oiz, an Epic, an ASR-C - those are your wheelhouse, not the bigger-travel-turned-confidence-compensators we're subject to right now (tic, of course). Your style of riding, at least from your writing, is what I'd describe as "confident XC", which is nothing to be ashamed of. Hell, it's pretty much where I find myself (shitty DH-kiddie turned "pro"-roadie) most of the time on knobbies.

Lionel, the big scoop on mountain bikes is that it takes riding a lot...A LOT...to know what you like. I'm lucky, as an industry schmuck ne'rer-do-well, to have ridden said pre-defiined qualifier. Road bikes are pretty easy, but if you're serious about buying an MTB you really love, ride the fuck out of each and every one you think might qualify.

It sounds like very good advice but the fact of the matter is that XL demo bikes do not exist here, they do in CA where the terrain is VERY different than here. Bottom line I will probably end up buying something based on educated reviews and this thread. Right know the top spot is held by the Trek Fuel EX as the SB 4.5c only takes 1x and does not take a water bottle. I hate camelbacks when I go out for 2h only and while I may try 1x I'd like the idea of being able to go to 2x.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We're all limited by our ability and our bikes.

I started on a rigid 26er in 94 at the age of 13. Had I not gotten a damn bit better, I can still ride bigger stuff because the bikes have improved. On the same terrain, they've dumbed the riding down. Or a hack like you and me can go out there and do cooler stuff. Same difference.
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chasea View Post
    We're all limited by our ability and our bikes.

I started on a rigid 26er in 94 at the age of 13. Had I not gotten a damn bit better, I can still ride bigger stuff because the bikes have improved. On the same terrain, they've dumbed the riding down. Or a hack like you and me can go out there and do cooler stuff. Same difference.
    I should clarify that any bike isn't going to save your ass. But when you eventually ride right up to you or your bikes limit, a more stable bike may just let you ride it out and question your decision making abilities.
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, after stopping bike the local biggest Trek dealer, it turns out that apparently you cannot order the EX 9.9 in France even though the bike is listed and priced in Euros on the French web site. WTF ?

The frame only is available but I am not sure finding the correct 29er 120mm Fox 34 factory Kashima in the required 51mm offset is even doable ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lionel View Post
    So, after stopping bike the local biggest Trek dealer, it turns out that apparently you cannot order the EX 9.9 in France even though the bike is listed and priced in Euros on the French web site. WTF ?

The frame only is available but I am not sure finding the correct 29er 120mm Fox 34 factory Kashima in the required 51mm offset is even doable ?
    Normal. Especially with popular new models frameset availability is purposefully delayed by several months, or totally squelched.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Normal. Especially with popular new models frameset availability is purposefully delayed by several months, or totally squelched.
    The frameset is available, it is the complete bike that is not and apparently cannot even be ordered.....

If I have to do a full custom build on a frameset, this thread is far from over and can reach new highs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lionel View Post
    The frameset is available, it is the complete bike that is not and apparently cannot even be ordered.....

If I have to do a full custom build on a frameset, this thread is far from over and can reach new highs.
    Oh dear...my mistake. Weird.

Just get an Occam.