Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thermal Tights: fit for the long-legged

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Thermal Tights: fit for the long-legged

How far down the leg should tights go, assuming thereís no stirrup to hook around the foot?

This is a question of first impression for me since Iíve always worn Assos tights with the stirrups. I tried a new brand that does not have the stirrup choosing the same size I wear in that brandís shorts. The legs come down to just above my ankle, and thereís some fabric bunching behind the knees that I cannot rectify by either manipulating the fabric up or down on the leg. For that reason alone they are probably going back. Iím wondering if sizing up will help, or I should just move onto another brand. They fit ok in the regions that matter down below.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Thermal Tights: fit for the long-legged

Ideally I like to have an inch or so of overlap with the bootie top over the tights leg bottom. So that while riding things donít ride up.

Pearl Izumi is the brand for me that doesnít work in either leg length or bunching behind the knee, which may be related. If the knee isnít right, then I size smaller and then the leg length is wrong and rides up.

Velocio works well for me, as does Castelli, but both in one to two sizes larger than what I wear in bibshorts.

Best compromise is thermal bibshorts with leg warmers as per Lionelís style book.
    Last edited by j44ke; 01-06-2020 at 10:15 AM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If they still make SWOBO wool 3/4 tights get two.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    I

Velocio works well for me, as does Castelli, but both in one to two sizes larger than what I wear in bibshorts.

Best compromise is thermal bibshorts with leg warmers as per Lionel’s style book.
    These are from Velocio, who suggested I start with the same size I wear in bib shorts. I wrote to them to get their opinion. I hate sending things back and forth to find the correct size. It's as if my knee is not aligning with the appropriate tailoring on the tights.

I'm not sure I can roll with Lionel's style advice. I have shorts. And I have leg warmers. Just not the same as a 1 piece tight on a 40 degree or colder ride. I have a set of non-padded Assos deep winter tights and it annoys me that I have to wear the shorts underneath them....I want the simplicity of 1 garment that fits properly. I have that in the Assos (bonka whatever) but at 5+ years old the pad is a bit tired.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobonli View Post
    These are from Velocio, who suggested I start with the same size I wear in bib shorts. I wrote to them to get their opinion. I hate sending things back and forth to find the correct size. It's as if my knee is not aligning with the appropriate tailoring on the tights.

I'm not sure I can roll with Lionel's style advice. I have shorts. And I have leg warmers. Just not the same as a 1 piece tight on a 40 degree or colder ride. I have a set of non-padded Assos deep winter tights and it annoys me that I have to wear the shorts underneath them....I want the simplicity of 1 garment that fits properly. I have that in the Assos (bonka whatever) but at 5+ years old the pad is a bit tired.
    I originally bought a pair of small tights when they went on super clearance. Velocio said the fabric they use is of a high quality and allows for compressive fit with break-in to accommodate body shape after several wearings. I found that to be true, except that the small tights wore faster at the contact points, probably I figured because the material was stretched more tightly in those areas. So the next pair of tights I got were mediums which I returned and got large. The larges fit a bit less snugly than the mediums but the length is better and I don't feel like the shoulder straps are cutting off circulation to my arms.

I have two pairs of original Rapha Classic thermal bibs that I got way back when they were on Gansevoort. They are as thick as any thermal tights I've ever had. So I wear them with either a pair of Castelli Thermoflex leg warmers that are a little thinner or (another old) pair of Craft leg warmers that are every bit as thick as the Rapha bibs. The combo just allows me to get a reasonable upper and lower fit.
    Last edited by j44ke; 01-06-2020 at 07:53 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bob,

I just got a couple pairs of q36.5 tights. A pair of long salopette tights and the thermatic.
    Iím done with Assos, this stuff is great.
    Darnell Laventhrop, Curling Coach

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I did the ride, wash, repeat as they instruct on the website. Not any better.
    Just wondering if it's the sizing or their design. So I suppose I'll let them ship out an XXL and see

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DCT View Post
    I’m done with Assos, this stuff is great.
    Big statement that has got my attention. Weren't you some kind of Assos ambassador or something too? I might have to try some of this q36.5 stuff...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DCT View Post
    Bob,

I just got a couple pairs of q36.5 tights. A pair of long salopette tights and the thermatic.
    I’m done with Assos, this stuff is great.
    Were you able to find them locally (to try on) or did you order online from Italy?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RichTheRoadie View Post
    Big statement that has got my attention. Weren't you some kind of Assos ambassador or something too? I might have to try some of this q36.5 stuff...
    It probably means that Black Oak velo sells Q36.5 and not Assos. Just guessing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobonli View Post
    Were you able to find them locally (to try on) or did you order online from Italy?
    I just ordered them online. I know what you mean without the ankle stirrup, it's a bit weird for me too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lionel View Post
    Black Oak sells Search and State. Rich, the old Assos stuff was awesome but the newer stuff is lacking quality.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've always preferred the bibs + warmer combo because of the easier to dial fit.

Plus tights makes you look like a middle age menestrel. Look how happy they were :

--
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lionel View Post
    No DCT is right. The materials, especially in the jerseys, are weirdly bad, and they've been shifting materials mid-model run it seems too. I have two of the same jersey in different colors and the material in several panels is different. One is decent and the other uses a material that can't keep the pockets in back from sagging. Weird.

Bob, if you get into the city, stop by Paragon Sports. Last time I was there, they'd gotten a bunch of winter stuff in, including a bunch of tights. And right now, it is on sale.
    Last edited by j44ke; 01-07-2020 at 09:27 AM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    No DCT is right. The materials, especially in the jerseys, are weirdly bad, and they've been shifting materials mid-model run it seems too. I have two of the same jersey in different colors and the material in several panels is different. One is decent and the other uses a material that can't keep the pockets in back from sagging. Weird.

Bob, if you get into the city, stop by Paragon Sports. Last time I was there, they'd gotten a bunch of winter stuff in, including a bunch of tights. And right now, it is on sale.
    Oh I know I have been bitching about Assos quality since the S7 line. Definitely not what it used to be.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    I've always preferred the bibs + warmer combo because of the easier to dial fit.

Plus tights makes you look like a middle age menestrel. Look how happy they were :

This made me giggle because menestrel >> minstrel >> menstrual

(I've had a rough day at work)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Craft touts their stuff as cut longer than US stuff.

Bontrager seems to run too long for me, but then I've got short legs

M

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tall Man'''s Bib Tights - Stretch Fleece Thermal Pant - UNPADDED
    These folks have tall sizing. With and without pad. I have a pair. They definitely are long.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just found this thread whilst looking for something else - as it's getting colder for the rest of you, I thought I'd chime in again.

I grabbed some Rapha Core winter tights this year. Bike kit prices are *stupid* here at the moment, so Rapha core is actually the only 'cheap' stuff going (in some cases it's even on par with Wiggle's own DHB brand for value). I have an 88/89cm inseam (leg length discrepancy) and at times the size L that I went for felt slightly too big.

For the money, though, they are awesome tights. I like them so much I tried to wash them for my next ride every time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Bourť tights work really well for me. In the cold stuff I like the bibs with the stirrups and without chamois. I use them for both biking and skiing. No cold ankles for me!

https://www.boure.com/tightsmen.html
    Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

ďInstructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.Ē
    Ė Mary Oliver

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast