Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tell me more about my late 90s Landshark Roadshark

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Tell me more about my late 90s Landshark Roadshark

I just pulled the trigger on a beautiful late 90s Landshark Roadshark with a recent Slawta repaint. It has a DA7700 group on it, which I plan to keep except for installing a spare pair of DA7900 shifters and 10s 12-30 cassette.

Some questions I have, given that this sort of came out of nowhere:

1. Generally what tubing did John use during this time period?

2. Will the frame clear 30mm tires?

3. It has a Wound Up 1Ē fork, any thoughts on those? Iíve never had a wound up before.

4. I hear the 7700 RD is compatible with 7900 shifters with a 10s cassette and will clear a 30t sprocket. Are those rumors true?

Itís on its way here, so pictures are forthcoming. Thanks in advance for the time!
    Drop bars not bombs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Re: Tell me more about my late 90s Landshark Roadshark

Tange Prestige and Dedacciai

Probably not

3. It has a Wound Up 1” fork, any thoughts on those? I’ve never had a wound up before.
    Nice to ride, tough to look at

4. I hear the 7700 RD is compatible with 7900 shifters with a 10s cassette and will clear a 30t sprocket. Are those rumors true?
    Not compatible with 7900 shifters AFAIK. 30t clearance depends on frame/hanger
    John Cully
    I ride bikes...not enough.
    I drink wine...not enough.
    I play guitar & bass...not well enough.
    I travel...not NEARLY enough.
    www.luccavacationhome.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Landsharks of that time period also were made out of Reynolds. I wouldn’t be too concerned with the tube set. They were all within a few ounces of each other. The road frames, that is. Great bikes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheNerdyCyclist View Post
    I just pulled the trigger on a beautiful late 90s Landshark Roadshark with a recent Slawta repaint.

I'm the original owner of a Landshark that I got in December 1996, and my bike was built with Reynolds 853.

I currently have a set of Michelin Power Competition 700x25c tires mounted on a set of Ksyrium Pro Carbon SL C wheels, and there's plenty of clearance on the back- I'd say about 5mm on each side of the chain stay. I've never ridden anything wider than a 25 on it (or any bike), but I'm pretty sure that a set of 28s will easily fit. However, my bike is 100% fillet brazed... I don't know if a lugged bottom bracket offers less clearance than the fully brazed Landsharks, but that's something to consider.

3. It has a Wound Up 1” fork, any thoughts on those? I’ve never had a wound up before.

I bought one custom sized to replace the Ouzo Pro that's on the bike (same a-c measurement) and absolutely hated it. Too stiff, and unsightly. I always thought I wanted one, until I got one. So I'm still riding the Ouzo Pro.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It probably wasn't recently painted by John- maybe just few or no miles since re-paint.
    John stopped re-painting steel bikes at least 5 years ago.
    If someone wants a re-paint or repair he offers a discount on a carbon bike instead.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by withintolerance View Post

I'm the original owner of a Landshark that I got in December 1996, and my bike was built with Reynolds 853.

I currently have a set of Michelin Power Competition 700x25c tires mounted on a set of Ksyrium Pro Carbon SL C wheels, and there's plenty of clearance on the back- I'd say about 5mm on each side of the chain stay. I've never ridden anything wider than a 25 on it (or any bike), but I'm pretty sure that a set of 28s will easily fit. However, my bike is 100% fillet brazed... I don't know if a lugged bottom bracket offers less clearance than the fully brazed Landsharks, but that's something to consider.

I bought one custom sized to replace the Ouzo Pro that's on the bike (same a-c measurement) and absolutely hated it. Too stiff, and unsightly. I always thought I wanted one, until I got one. So I'm still riding the Ouzo Pro.
    I think it is fillet brazed, which is nice.

Quote Originally Posted by boots2000 View Post
    It probably wasn't recently painted by John- maybe just few or no miles since re-paint.
    John stopped re-painting steel bikes at least 5 years ago.
    If someone wants a re-paint or repair he offers a discount on a carbon bike instead.
    Ah yeah, I think that's right. Also, I reread the listing, and realized that my mind made up paint by John bit (stupid ebay formatting). That said, the paint is in very good, but not perfect shape, according to seller.
    Drop bars not bombs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I donít think there is an uglier fork than a Wound Up fork. If you are a big guy and need that kind of durability, go for it. But otherwise it is an aesthetic violation - at least to my eye - in any bike. Even when painted to match. I canít imagine what advantage it presents over a steel fork on a steel bike. A hand-made steel fork is such a nice thing.

But thatís just my opinion.
    Last edited by j44ke; 03-13-2018 at 02:47 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    I don’t think there is an uglier fork than a Wound Up fork. If you are a big guy and need that kind of durability, go for it. But otherwise it is an aesthetic violation - at least to my eye - in any bike. Even when painted to match. I can’t imagine what advantage it presents over a steel fork on a steel bike. A hand-made steel fork is such a nice thing.

But that’s just my opinion.
    I didn't know Wound Ups get people that...wound up. I've always found Wound Ups to look cool in a utilitarian sort of way. I can always go stare at the beautifully filed asymmetric crowned fork on my 3Rensho when I need to appreciate artistry.
    Drop bars not bombs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheNerdyCyclist View Post
    I didn't know Wound Ups get people that...wound up. I've always found Wound Ups to look cool in a utilitarian sort of way. I can always go stare at the beautifully filed asymmetric crowned fork on my 3Rensho when I need to appreciate artistry.
    Hah, yeah that did sound a bit wound up. Might be too much coffee. I'm just not sure I understand the popularity of them, and Landsharks used to come with some really lovely steel forks, in both curved and straight varieties. I think that would be on my "looking for" list if a Landshark fell into my lap suddenly.

Edit: Ooh, like this'un ->

Last edited by j44ke; 03-13-2018 at 03:01 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For me, this combination of the Wound Up with the tan sidewalls on the Jack Browns...it's just so right.

hampsten.jpg
    (Photo Credit to Hampco)
    Drop bars not bombs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Mine was '93ish, oversize prestige, fillet brazed, steep head angle and took 32s. Not comfy but super badass.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lumpy View Post
    Mine was '93ish, oversize prestige, fillet brazed, steep head angle and took 32s. Not comfy but super badass.
    Same here (mostly), '93, oversize prestige, fillet brazed, 74į HTA and badass. Will absolutely NOT clear a 32, or 28 for that matter, due to the Kestrel fork.

DSC01136-3.jpg

DSC01138-1.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My 90s rendition was Max tubing but John sub'd in a mega- max or something ovalized downtube that I didn't really like but oh well. I liked that bike and it had a wild Matisse like paint job. 25s fit great; don't think a 30 would have.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, so the bike came in yesterday and is in great shape overall. Turns out Rivendell Ruffy Tuffy 28's (which run a tad small) fit with decent space. The low rear brake bridge prevents the balloon-like 700x28 Conti GP4000 from fitting, however. Bummer.

I've gotten a few notes that 7900 10s shifters pull the correct ratio for the 7700 RD, so I'll give that 10s conversion a try this weekend. Otherwise, a shallower bar with a new tape wrap and it'll be ready to shred.

Notes:
    1. I didn't realize the DT on this bike is sort of like a teardrop in profile. Dope.
    2. Holy hell it's a light frame. Noticeably lighter than the Ishiwata 019/022 tubed 3Rensho, but I guess it's no surprise given the 10+ years of steel technology between the 2 bikes. Seller says it's Dedacciai Zero.
    3. The fillet brazing is gorgeous.
    4. The Wound Up looks much less goofy in real life than one would think.
    5. I didn't get out the protractor but boy that HT looks steep. Could be a handful.

More pictures/impressions to come. Here's the bike with the Ruffy Tuffy's.

IMG_7474.jpg
    Drop bars not bombs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool bike. Let us know how it rides!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    I donít think there is an uglier fork than a Wound Up fork. If you are a big guy and need that kind of durability, go for it. But otherwise it is an aesthetic violation - at least to my eye - in any bike. Even when painted to match. I canít imagine what advantage it presents over a steel fork on a steel bike. A hand-made steel fork is such a nice thing.

But thatís just my opinion.
    I'm just the opposite, I think that the Wound Up is one of the few carbon forks that looks good. I've come to the conclusion that it's because the crown reminds me of a steel fork whereas most CF forks are unicrown style and I really dislike that look on a road bike. But I'm a steel fork guy through and through so no carbon one is in my future.
    Eat one live toad first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you all day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Track bike with brakes and derailleurs...
    DT

http://www.mjolnircycles.com/

Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

"the fun outweighs the suck, and the suck hasn't killed me yet." -- chasea

"Sometimes, as good as it feels to speak out, silence is the only way to rise above the morass. The high road is generally a quiet route." -- echelon_john

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by choke View Post
    I'm just the opposite, I think that the Wound Up is one of the few carbon forks that looks good. I've come to the conclusion that it's because the crown reminds me of a steel fork whereas most CF forks are unicrown style and I really dislike that look on a road bike. But I'm a steel fork guy through and through so no carbon one is in my future.
    Not entirely the opposite:

I can’t imagine what advantage it presents over a steel fork on a steel bike. A hand-made steel fork is such a nice thing.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

While we're still waging a war over forks, I can confirm DA7900 shifters shift the DA7700 RD on a 12-30 10s cassette perfectly. The 30t is just at the limit of what the short cage 7700 RD can do, but it works. The 7900 shifter to 7700 FD is a little wonkier, with the lever feeling a bit heavier than with a 7900 FD, but with proper cable tension and limit screw adjustment, it works and shifts fine.
    Drop bars not bombs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Update on the bike. I swapped on a pair of Open Pros laced to silky smooth DA 7700 hubs that I scored for cheap. 32h, radial front and 3x in the back, about 1750g with tape, no skewers.

Overall impressions is that it's a very solid feeling bike, despite the 7700 crank and quill stem. The wheels and tires carry a bit of noticeable weight compared to the wheels on my other road bikes, so acceleration is dulled a bit. That doesn't bother me as I've been riding it a lot as a commuter and a rain bike. The frame is pretty stiff, and like some others above have said, handling is extremely quick but intuitive. I can definitely see how this thing would have been an awesome crit bike back in the day.

IMG_7514.jpg
    Drop bars not bombs.