from Velonews article about the Vuelta. Mistake or intentional? you decide:
    Screen shot 2010-08-26 at 11.23.24 PM.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Team Radio Hack???

Given the UCI team rankings, looks like a mistake.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gents--

as discussed before- the Giro and the Vuelta are NOT UCI races. The organizers are not obliged to to invite PRO Tour teams.
    "make the break"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chance Legstrong View Post
    Gents--

as discussed before- the Giro and the Vuelta are NOT UCI races. The organizers are not obliged to to invite PRO Tour teams.
    I for one was not implying that they were obligated, more that the team performance in general warrants consideration.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chance Legstrong View Post
    Gents--

Heck the Vuelta not even a GT anymore (except in duration). Just a training race for Worlds for the good riders, and "last chance for gas" for failed GC riders. The step down from the Giro is massive, and the step down from the TdF is massive cubed. Wouldn't be surprised if this race goes away eventually.
    Everything's Coming Up Milhouse!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Coolhand View Post
    Heck the Vuelta not even a GT anymore (except in duration). Just a training race for Worlds for the good riders, and "last chance for gas" for failed GC riders. The step down from the Giro is massive, and the step down from the TdF is massive cubed. Wouldn't be surprised if this race goes away eventually.
    This, I find, to be false. This race means a lot to the people involved. Anyone (who is affiliated with professional cycling) who says otherwise is pissed they aren't racing there/involved.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Coolhand View Post
    It is best that I not answer this in any more detail than to say that you have no idea what you are talking about.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by El Chaba View Post
    It is best that I not answer this in any more detail than to say that you have no idea what you are talking about.
    Lance doesn't race the Vuelta so it can't be important.

-Eric

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It cannot be surprising to anyone that Team Radio Shack were not invited. They have done everything possible over the last three years ( under whatever banner the main players - Astana and RS - were flying ) to antagonize the organisers and fans of the Vuelta.

For cyclingnews to suggest that this is either a surprise or an insult is simply disingenuous.

But, for anyone to suggest that the Vuelta is not an important race to the racers or fans is simply ridiculous.

To suggest that the Vuelta is not a GT with a storied past is equally ridiculous. I imagine the Vuelta will continue in the calendar as a grand tour long after the "Tour of California" has dried up and blown away.

Certainly, in retrospect the move to September may have been a mistake, but it is what it is.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ergott View Post
    Lance doesn't race the Vuelta so it can't be important.

-Eric
    Exactly, outside the Big PX, The Vuelta and the Giro are real.

Now that LA is gone, Cycling go back to being a micro-niche sport in the US along with cricket and rugby.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The animosity goes back a way. Remember Lance's comeback year? It was in the Vuelta that he first showed his ability to place highly in a grand Tour...4th in 1998. The Spanish were quite proud that it was THEIR race that first made the Cindarella story. Then he hired the promising young Roberto Heras away from Kelme....They didn't like seeing a promising Spanish rider lured away from a homegrown team when they could not compete on finacial terms, but understood that it was an opportunity for young Heras...The very public deal was that Heras would help lance win the Tour....and then Lance would help Heras win the Vuelta. The first part took place, but Lance never again rode the Vuelta. To say that they were snubbed is to put it mildly...Other insults occurred in the intervening years. Fast forward to 2010....Everybody in the world-save for about 1350 morons wearing yellow wristbands-knows that lance used performance enhancing drugs during his career. So HIS team wants to ride the Vuelta...and meanwhile the second hottest property in Spanish cycling (Valverde) receives a two year ban from the sport with NO positive test, just innuendo related to his connection with the increasingly fraudulent operacion Puerto. So, you will have to pardon the organizers of the vuelta if they did not see fit to invite the king's court to race...after all they knew all along that they would not be graced by his majesty's presence....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Vuelta is kinda a big deal!
    an awesome TTT is on tap for tomorrow. i suggest you find a feed on steephill and see what El Chaba and seemingly everyone else already know.
    "make the break"

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hammer>nail>head>atmo>

The animosity goes back a way. Remember Lance's comeback year? It was in the Vuelta that he first showed his ability to place highly in a grand Tour...4th in 1998. The Spanish were quite proud that it was THEIR race that first made the Cindarella story. Then he hired the promising young Roberto Heras away from Kelme....They didn't like seeing a promising Spanish rider lured away from a homegrown team when they could not compete on finacial terms, but understood that it was an opportunity for young Heras...The very public deal was that Heras would help lance win the Tour....and then Lance would help Heras win the Vuelta. The first part took place, but Lance never again rode the Vuelta. To say that they were snubbed is to put it mildly...Other insults occurred in the intervening years. Fast forward to 2010....Everybody in the world-save for about 1350 morons wearing yellow wristbands-knows that lance used performance enhancing drugs during his career. So HIS team wants to ride the Vuelta...and meanwhile the second hottest property in Spanish cycling (Valverde) receives a two year ban from the sport with NO positive test, just innuendo related to his connection with the increasingly fraudulent operacion Puerto. So, you will have to pardon the organizers of the vuelta if they did not see fit to invite the king's court to race...after all they knew all along that they would not be graced by his majesty's presence....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Didn't Lance's team help Heras win the Vuelta in 2003 or did he win in spite of the team? I just don't recall many Tour champions of the past 20 or so years even racing the Vuelta the same year. I think Indurian might have done it once, though I can't remember for sure.

I also doubt that Lance himself was in any way expected to race the Vuelta, so that is not the question, but presumably there would have been some expectation that someone like Zubeldia would be targeting that race.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EDS View Post
    Didn't Lance's team help Heras win the Vuelta in 2003 or did he win in spite of the team? I just don't recall many Tour champions of the past 20 or so years even racing the Vuelta the same year. I think Indurian might have done it once, though I can't remember for sure.

I also doubt that Lance himself was in any way expected to race the Vuelta, so that is not the question, but presumably there would have been some expectation that someone like Zubeldia would be targeting that race.
    What Chaba wrote is exactly as I recall it: "The very public deal was that Heras would help lance win the Tour....and then Lance would help Heras win the Vuelta. The first part took place, but Lance never again rode the Vuelta." So, yes, he was expected to race the Vuelta.

I also think that Leipheimer leapfrogging his Spanish team leader, Heras, in a final Vuelta time trial might have rubbed some the wrong way. And those that didn't mind that so much (like me) were probably not so tolerant of Leipheimer seemingly riding for himself rather than aiding his Spanish team leader, Contador, in the Vuelta much more recently.

Having seen Radioshack's performance in the TDF, does anybody think the Vuelta will be sorely missing them? I certainly don't. And I actually like Leipheimer.

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rodador View Post
    Having seen Radioshack's performance in the TDF, does anybody think the Vuelta will be sorely missing them?
    they need some new batteries soon atmo.