Thread: Talk to me about the Portland area

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Talk to me about the Portland area

Quote Originally Posted by fletcher View Post
    I had a homeless dude try stealing biopsy samples--- a cancerous limb and abscessed spleen--- from our hospital lab sample box outside. He thought it was "free meat").
    Sounds like a nice place.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I never know if itís really
    Quote Originally Posted by miguel503 View Post
    Butte Montana
    or just existential blues

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fletcher View Post
    I moved to Portland in 2005. I moved here for a more outdoor lifestyle, cycling, hiking, etc.
    As time goes on, these activities are harder to pursue. The city has become very crowded and the roadways, trailheads, hikes have been overrun.

The roads I used to ride easily in 2005 are now packed with cars and distracted drivers. I don't understand the urban growth boundary as there just seems to be endless new housing developments stretching over what used to be peaceful roads out in farm country west of Portland. Despite the large influx of people moving here, there is no attempt to accommodate with new infrastructure such as wider roads and more parking. Thus our highways have frequent traffic jams. The side roads end up being packed as a result.

We pay high state income taxes, county taxes, property taxes compared to Florida and Washington (Other states I've spent time in).

To get out to the Columbia River Gorge for a hike, one needs to get there first thing in the AM otherwise there will be no parking. Or try it on a weekday. I used to ride out in the Gorge, now I can't get past the 1/2 mile line of cars trying to park at Multnomah Falls.

Other roads that I used to ride to escape town (Cornell, Skyline, Germantown) have too much traffic now to find peace on the pedals. Now I ride gravel in the national forests.

Another big consideration is housing/property costs. Lower and middle class Portlanders are being priced out of the housing market. Costs are quite ridiculous for what's offered and what people are paid here. Rent costs are high as well. New construction goes up everywhere, yet no roads and parking. Homelessness here is no joke. Tent cities are everywhere around Portland. Some increases in theft & vandalism as a results. (I had a homeless dude try stealing biopsy samples--- a cancerous limb and abscessed spleen--- from our hospital lab sample box outside. He thought it was "free meat").

The previous points about violence and civil unrest, IMO, are exaggerated by the media. I think it's likely the same as in most major cities in the US where our political discourse and tolerance has spun out of control.

So, yeah, I say a lot of negative things but I still chose to live here. There are a lot of great things about being here that others have mentioned. I like Portland though some of the luster has faded. In the coming years, I may make a move to a smaller town with better outdoors access.

If I were looking to move to the PNW, I'd check out Bellingham, WA.
    You covered just about everything I was going to cover but in a much nicer way.

I've been here since 2005 as well. There still isn't legal singletrack anywhere near the city and I highly doubt there ever will be. I don't feel comfortable riding the roads around here much these days...same goes for moto. Housing prices are stupid for what you get and most of the population around here seems to be so utterly self-aware of their feelings yet so completely unaware that they exist in a world amongst other people who are trying to move about and get on with their day. Knowing what I know, I wouldn't move here.
    Sean Chaney
    www.vertigocycles.com
    a peek behind the curtain

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's cool, this resident of Vantucky, WA takes no offense.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well the job thing has shaken out and I'll be working remotely for the foreseeable future. This means my range has opened up considerably.

Bend looks really perfect. Anyone here from there? or spent considerable time there?

That being said, it would still not hurt to be within 20-30km of a university in case things go south and I need to find a lab job again. Which puts Eugene in the ring. or outside of Boise.
    "Do you want ants? Because that's how you get ants."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I spend a lot of time in Bend for work (sales rep) and it is a great area.
    I would gladly move there but there are downsides too. Housing is expensive especially on the west side where most people want to live. It has grown too fast for its own good so sprawl and traffic are worse than they should be.
    And like many desirable areas with few jobs, it feels like there are a lot of wealthy people and a lot of people scraping by on low wage jobs but relatively few people in between.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Octave View Post
    Well the job thing has shaken out and I'll be working remotely for the foreseeable future. This means my range has opened up considerably.

Bend looks really perfect. Anyone here from there? or spent considerable time there?

That being said, it would still not hurt to be within 20-30km of a university in case things go south and I need to find a lab job again. Which puts Eugene in the ring. or outside of Boise.
    Moved to bend some time ago for my wife's job. Spring is awful but the rest of the year is pretty nice. Summer is great if California isn't on fire and blowing smoke our way. Tourist season is getting much more extreme. Feels like there's twice as many people in town for most of the summer.

The job market sucks here. That's how I became self employed. The upside is the industry finally has a professional quality tooling supplier. OSU has a small campus here. Otherwise you're moving to the wet side for a full University.

Boise is worth looking at. All the nice things about Central Oregon but cheaper and seemingly fewer people.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by abbeyQ View Post
    Moved to bend some time ago for my wife's job. Spring is awful but the rest of the year is pretty nice. Summer is great if California isn't on fire and blowing smoke our way. Tourist season is getting much more extreme. Feels like there's twice as many people in town for most of the summer.

The job market sucks here. That's how I became self employed. The upside is the industry finally has a professional quality tooling supplier. OSU has a small campus here. Otherwise you're moving to the wet side for a full University.

Boise is worth looking at. All the nice things about Central Oregon but cheaper and seemingly fewer people.
    Thanks for the info. Why is spring awful?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the info. Why is spring awful?
    In Bend, spring is a war between winter and summer. Summer always wins but sometimes winter puts up a hell of a fight. It's not the spring showers and flowers blooming kind of hallmark card you get in most of the country. It's more like freezing rain one day and 75* the next. I've been going to Sea Otter for the last 10 years in mid April, on at least 4 occasions it's been snowing as I leave town. Monterey always feels fantastic though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, Bellingham does suck...a lot.
    But it might fit. If you’re interested let me know.

For anonymous readers, know the town is overrun with slugs and Texans. The riding is all on the shoulders of the interstate, and the mountains are just photoshopped into internet images. Flat as Kansas.
    Jason Babcock

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What about Corvallis?
    rw saunders
    everything is connected

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't get the real draw of Bend especially since it isn't the town it was 5-10 years ago.

For anything you can do in Bend, you can live about a 30 mile radius around it and have the same outdoor experiences.

The only thing that really appealed to me in actually living there as being able to hop on a mtb and ride trails. Not world class or like living in places like Colorado but a good choice of XC stuff. Also the town was pretty chill and quirky like any small tourist town is before they are discovered and everyone wants to move their.

I think if you would ask anyone that has lived in Bend for 15+ years they will give you the same answers.
    Not Riding!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Because too many of these threads die without an answer, I just wanted to pop in and thank everyone for their really helpful feedback. I did a lot of reflecting, then some visits, and bought a house last week (well, closing isn't for a month but the ball is rolling) in Cottage Grove, outside of Eugene. All of the advice and discussion here helped me think about the state, lead to some great out-of-thread conversations, and put some things in perspective. As always, The Salon delivers.

Expect a fire sale of bike parts that I don't want to (read: don't have room to) move across the ocean in the classifieds in the next couple of days. Or head over there and buy my Surly Long-Haul Trucker fork now..

Much love to y'all Salonistas. Maybe once I'm stateside I can actually ride with some of you good souls.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Congrats on the house purchase and impending move. There's excellent riding down your way. Maybe sign up for the Oregon Gran Fondo series and use that as inspiration to explore your new backyard and the rest of the state? 403 Forbidden. I haven't registered yet, but it's on the list of to-dos. There's an active Rando community down that way too. And you'll be arriving just as the season really gets rolling.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome to OR! I haven't done much riding in Eugene, but I'm sure it's pretty nice. For MTB, you'll find Oakridge just a little east of Eugene. Good stuff. Also be sure to hit McKenzie River Trail (shuttle run or baller ride back to your car). It's a top trail across the entire country.

I've been here for over 20 years. ATMO, the (road) riding here is the best. I live 10 miles south of Pdx. I never drive to road ride. MTB, gotta drive. Only place better, for me, is the Malibu canyons. Aside from that, you'll find me here.

In 10-15 years as climate change marches on, the weather here will only get "better". Less rain.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The road riding around Cottage Grove - Eugene is I suspect still quite nice (I moved north in 2011). Lots of rural roads that can lead to dirt forest roads. Traffic usually not too bad but there is the occasional yahoo with an attitude or logging truck that doesn't give a shit that you are on the road, and the occasional dog. But it is a nice mix of flat valley riding and foothils with easy access into larger climbs in the coast range or Cascades. Welcome to the Pacific Northwest!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cottage Grove is a great town and in wonderful area for cycling, good choice. Rides to the coast or mountains to the east are all very feasible. It is a popular stop for Cycle Oregon and (to my wife and I) has proven very bicycle friendly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Much love to y'all Salonistas. Maybe once I'm stateside I can actually ride with some of you good souls.
    That's the good stuff right there. Not sure if you heard, but the US isn't too spread out geographically. Maybe we could meet somewhere in the middle. Maybe the Oklahoma panhandle.

Seriously, though, looks like you made a great choice.
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
    Congrats on the house purchase and impending move. There's excellent riding down your way. Maybe sign up for the Oregon Gran Fondo series and use that as inspiration to explore your new backyard and the rest of the state? 403 Forbidden. I haven't registered yet, but it's on the list of to-dos. There's an active Rando community down that way too. And you'll be arriving just as the season really gets rolling.
    I'll definitely try to get in on one or two of these events. Hopefully we can link up when the time comes! Drop me a DM if you register.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Costello View Post
    The road riding around Cottage Grove - Eugene is I suspect still quite nice (I moved north in 2011). Lots of rural roads that can lead to dirt forest roads. Traffic usually not too bad but there is the occasional yahoo with an attitude or logging truck that doesn't give a shit that you are on the road, and the occasional dog. But it is a nice mix of flat valley riding and foothils with easy access into larger climbs in the coast range or Cascades. Welcome to the Pacific Northwest!
    That seems to be the look of it! I did a bit of exploring while I was out there looking at houses before coming back to France. I thought I'd be really bummed leaving the riding here behind, but I don't think that'll be the case. The network of rideable dirt roads puts my area here to shame!

Quote Originally Posted by donevwil View Post
    Cottage Grove is a great town and in wonderful area for cycling, good choice. Rides to the coast or mountains to the east are all very feasible. It is a popular stop for Cycle Oregon and (to my wife and I) has proven very bicycle friendly.
    Good to hear! If you stop through this year, drop me a message!

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    That's the good stuff right there. Not sure if you heard, but the US isn't too spread out geographically. Maybe we could meet somewhere in the middle. Maybe the Oklahoma panhandle.
    Har har! I did grow up in the US... but I get your point, I have people regularly tell me, "Hey! I'll be in Austria for work next week - want to link up!?"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A memorable feature about the area surrounding Portland, Oregon are the spectacular waterfalls. Beautiful!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast