User Tag List

Thread: Syracuse or Ithaca if you had four hours and a 650b bike?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Syracuse or Ithaca if you had four hours and a 650b bike?

Iíll be killing some time before picking up my family from Albany international in a couple weeks. I figure Iíve got about four hours to get a ride in before I need to drive to get them.

Iím staying in Syracuse the night before but dropping through Ithaca on the way to Albany.

If you had a bike with 650b wheels would you ride near Ithaca or Syracuse? And any routes to suggest? Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Syracuse or Ithaca if you had four hours and a 650b bike?

Quote Originally Posted by rsl View Post
    Iíll be killing some time before picking up my family from Albany international in a couple weeks. I figure Iíve got about four hours to get a ride in before I need to drive to get them.

Iím staying in Syracuse the night before but dropping through Ithaca on the way to Albany.

If you had a bike with 650b wheels would you ride near Ithaca or Syracuse? And any routes to suggest? Thanks!
    Syracuse local here. What kind of riding would you like? Flat, hilly, or rolling? All pavement or some gravel too? The eastern Finger Lakes region between Syracuse and Ithaca has great terrain and quiet rural roads. The Onondaga Cycling Club has hundreds of ride maps. Morgan Hill State Forest and Heiberg Forest have dirt roads with lots of hilly paved roads nearby. Please let me know what youíre interested in and I can provide some more detailed suggestions.

Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ithaca here, actually if you are on your way to Albany you probably don't want to swing too far West to Ithaca from Rt 81 in order to minimize drive time (unless you really want to check out Ithaca and/or Cornell, both worthy of a visit). But you don't have to either if you're just looking for a good ride en route- I would instead start a ride from Dryden, Cortland, Marathon or Whitney Point instead, they all have some awesome ride potential, hope you like hills. The terrain varies, so more info as to what you want would make for better suggestions. Lake views, gentle rolling hills, state forest gravel, killer hills could all be on the menu- but any route would be pretty country in my biased view- I grew up in the Ithaca area and really miss the riding there. Ithaca would be an additional 20-30 minutes or so of driving (each way) from these towns that are closer to Rt 81 and in the wrong direction if you're heading East toward Albany and want to maximize riding time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks all! Mostly interested in gravel roads, and state forest roads sound good too. (And also open to brewery suggestions!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is a route I enjoy when I am in the area (no gravel, though): Ithaca-Candor loop - A bike ride in Ithaca, New York
    The Liquid State Brewery on Green St. in downtown Ithaca had pretty nice beers when I visited last summer.