Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking Swimming or cycling?

Hi,
    Summer is coming and it is the time to lose weight every year for me. :-(
    In the past years, I prefer to swim. But this year, some friends suggest me to go cycling. It seems cool. But will cycling help with losing weight? What parts of body will it affect, legs?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Re: Swimming or cycling?

For weight loss I think it's running > cycling > swimming. As far as what your body can tolerate, I think the order's reversed.

As the weather gets nice it's possible to spend a lot of time on the bike and shed the pounds (I find the twice-a-day dose of bike commuting works wonders). Then as the days get short, the pool is good to repair the body and tone those muscles cycling is willing to overlook.

Plus the scenery's better than that darn stripe on the bottom of the pool.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why is it an either/or decision?
    I am not who I am.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Swimming is great for losing weight. You're using every part of your body.
    The question is, how long can you swim for? 20 laps? 40 laps? All day?
    Assuming you can pull off at least 45 minutes in the pool, I'd swim 3 days a week, and bike 4, doing both on Friday, for instance, and really kicking your metabolism into overdrive.
    EddieBirdsell may have a different opinion, but don't listen to him!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

stop eating
    "make the break"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chance Legstrong View Post
    stop eating
    Bingo!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

both! you gotta do both if you love them! i'm in the pool 6 mornings a wk for an hour and i love it. i ride 5/6 days a wk and i love it. if i could give up beer i think i could be skinny. if you are near ocean or lakes, you gotta get out there and enjoy the feel of open moving water. there is nothing like the ocean and my commitment to the pool came from wanting be stronger in the ocean and feel safer when things get sketchy in the big blue, cuz they always do.
    you're not the lord of the flies

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

stop eating
    What is your diet like while training/racing? I'm serious about asking this. You are one of the first to always comment about food portions - I think you could be the diet poster boy. Feel free to make a new post so we can pin it or make it a wiki entry.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any and all forms of exercise will work, even walking. Both swimming (my original sport) and cycling are great. In contrast to running, both cycling and swimming are a bit gentler on the body. The key is to make the number of calories burned exceed the number taken in. Some people don't lose weight with cycling because they go real easy and mostly coast along then follow that up with a bacon double cheeseburger and a couple of beers. That math won't lead to weight loss.

Good luck and welcome to VS.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by velobran View Post
    What is your diet like while training/racing? I'm serious about asking this. You are one of the first to always comment about food portions - I think you could be the diet poster boy. Feel free to make a new post so we can pin it or make it a wiki entry.
    i might.

regardless of what activity you pursue, if you don't change eating habits and amounts no amount of swimming, cycling, walking, yard darts will really help
    "make the break"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by soBRIquet View Post
    Swimming is great for losing weight. You're using every part of your body.
    The question is, how long can you swim for? 20 laps? 40 laps? All day?
    Assuming you can pull off at least 45 minutes in the pool, I'd swim 3 days a week, and bike 4, doing both on Friday, for instance, and really kicking your metabolism into overdrive.
    EddieBirdsell may have a different opinion, but don't listen to him!
    Dude I broke free from that black line on the bottom of the pool about nine years ago, found the freedom of mechanical advantage and open roads, and I haven't looked back.

What did in my short-lived "recreational" swimming career was the amount of sunk time to simply get an hour in the pool. You're often restricted to certain times you can use any given pool, then there's getting there, stretching, warming up, swimming, shower, travel back to where you came from. I found it was taking two hours to swim an hour. I walk out my door and ride.

i might.

regardless of what activity you pursue, if you don't change eating habits and amounts no amount of swimming, cycling, walking, yard darts will really help
    Complete truth J. Here's an analogy - I used to work on 80's American turbo cars. Grand Nationals, Turbo TA's, T-Types, stuff like that. In order to experience real performance improvements, you had to upgrade various components in "recipes." Simply upgrading your injectors, or your torque converter, or your turbo, or your intercooler without upgrading other related hardware was worthless. There's a synergy when the recipe comes together.

Likewise, exercising without accounting for other lifestyle choices might do some good, but not a ton.

I'd also advocate two days a week of aerobic-based lifting in addition to swimming/running/cycling workout. Done right, the weights will build lean muscle, increase metabolism, and you'll be burning more calories even when you're not working out. The benefits are huge. Ask me how I know, 45 lbs. later. Of course, J, you've kicked my ass with a 65 lb. drop.

An adage I try to live by, from the Omnivore's Dilemma - "Eat food, not food-like substances." Whole grain, red meat, poultry, vegetables.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yep, light weight lifting 3-4 days a week, riding hard at times, and a lot of easy miles. Salads for dinner. Sit-ups/crunches and regular stretching. Sweets only on the weekends, or once a week.

Swimming/water polo always made me bulk up in high school, but it is great (as mentioned) for working the cycling-dormant muscles.
    Start slow, then taper off.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It really depends on your swimming ability. Swimming is not always a great way to lose weight. It is harder in the pool than it is on the bike to maintain a long fat-burning work out. It is just too tiring if swimming is a chore. Can you swim 3000 meters? Also, if you are newish to swimming, it builds upper body mass (again, unless you are swimming longer and slower). There are some really big-gutted fellows that swim every day. I am slim, but bulk up a bit in the pool. My cycling weight is 165, my swimming weight is 175.

The diet is the biggest item. Low carbs in the pm works for me.

Really want to lose weight? Walk an hour in the morning, an hour at night, every day. Unlike cyclists, walkers don't drink gels, eat bars, and drink recovery shakes, and all those other calories.
    Peter Wilborn
    Bike Law
    Charleston, SC

Knoxville, TN / Providence, RI / Charleston, SC
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EddieBirdsell View Post
    "Eat food, not food-like substances." Whole grain, red meat, poultry, vegetables.
    Yup. Real foods. Foods that come from animals and whole veg. and grains. Dairy, meat, eggs, veg, etc. Thats the way to go. Don't get caught up in the miracle diets, the endless supplements and protein and recovery shakes.

Varied exercise with mixed in high intensity and lower intensity is the way to get fit and lose fat weight. I absolutely advocate getting in the weight room some. To burn the most calories, studies suggest that the anaerobic lifting be followed by the aerobic cycling/running/swimming rather than going to the gym and immediately jumping on the treadmill before lifting. For folks who are just trying to get fit and have fun with recreation as opposed to being the specialized racer, I am a huge proponent of a well rounded regimen.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vaultbrad View Post
    Yup. Real foods. Foods that come from animals and whole veg. and grains. Dairy, meat, eggs, veg, etc. Thats the way to go. Don't get caught up in the miracle diets, the endless supplements and protein and recovery shakes.
    I admit that I cheap with whey protein. It is dairy-derived, but it's pretty processed. It's just so...f'ing effective. 30g+ of protein in 120 calories? That's just too easy. I do stick to the all-natural stuff, and found an all-natural, cocoa-flavored one that tastes so good it's ridiculous.

PS Nice fish in your avatar. What is it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

eddie - would you mind sharing with us the name of that ridiculous all-natural, cocoa-flavored one? thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dymatize Elite All Natural Rich Chocolate.

I'm as skeptical as the next guy about "all natural" claims, and this no doubt has some filler and some crap, but I did a bunch of research and this one is the least offensive to me.

Goat milk yogurt and some frozen berry mix from Trader Joe's, blend, then gradually add in two scoops of this stuff. Supa tasty.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yo Kevin, please write an RFP for a Trader Joe's up here in VT. Make it happen. :-)
    Start slow, then taper off.

Knoxville, TN / Providence, RI / Charleston, SC
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EddieBirdsell View Post
    I admit that I cheap with whey protein. It is dairy-derived, but it's pretty processed. It's just so...f'ing effective. 30g+ of protein in 120 calories? That's just too easy. I do stick to the all-natural stuff, and found an all-natural, cocoa-flavored one that tastes so good it's ridiculous.

PS Nice fish in your avatar. What is it?

Haha, I cheat too. My advise was for the guys that just want to be fit and have fun being active. My excuse for the whey, glutamine, and the very few other supplements I use are because I'm trying to push my body to it's maximum potential(without juicing of course). I'm a pole vaulter shooting for the trials next year, so I'm tuning the machine pretty hard as I've got a ways to go yet.

Thanks! That was my first striper from the river here in Knoxville. Pretty fun fish to catch!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

stop eating
    It seems it is impossible for me. :-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast