Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Steep seat tube angle!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Steep seat tube angle!

An acquaintance is getting rid of a few bikes and offered me a decent deal on a carbon Wilier. It seemed like a reasonable fit, based on top tube, head tube length and seat tube length. Then I noticed that the 54cm (Medium) frame has a 74.5 degree STA. All Wilier frames have the same geometry. This is quite a bit steeper than a typical 54cm off the peg frame.

I have long femurs for my height so this bike would be worthless to me without a 40mm setback post. That would not be proper. Is Wilier marketing to dachshunds?

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Steep seat tube angle!

The angle is insignificant - the placement of the saddle above the central movement is what controls the lower body position. What is your saddle nose setback, and can it work on another frame you are looking at?

No bike is worth anything, free or otherwise, if it doesn't fit atmo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Taller than you, also long of femur. Have an XL Wilier. The geo chart isn't in front of me but I found it not a great compromise. If I got back to leverage the femurs the steering was too twitchy for my taste. The best handling involved getting too far forward. Like the bike but too fussy to overlap fit and geometry venn diagrams. Bike was demoted on acquistion of a Pegoretti of the same TT length.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post
    The angle is insignificant - the placement of the saddle above the central movement is what controls the lower body position. What is your saddle nose setback, and can it work on another frame you are looking at?

No bike is worth anything, free or otherwise, if it doesn't fit atmo.
    Please pardon my ignorance on this subject. I have 75mm of setback with my current setup. I could achieve the same position by rotating all contact points around the BB spindle? Lower bar and longer stem and I would be OK?

I passed on the bike. Another black carbon bike from Asia is not my goal any more.

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by houston View Post
    Please pardon my ignorance on this subject. I have 75mm of setback with my current setup. I could achieve the same position by rotating all contact points around the BB spindle? Lower bar and longer stem and I would be OK?
    No it wouldn't be okay. Because even though you may recreate your contact points, the wheels, their placement in the equation, and the CG won't change since the bicycle is already built. Even free would have been too much to pay atmo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you for the insight. A huge markdown from "retail" can grab my attention more than it should.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by houston View Post

I passed on the bike. Another black carbon bike from Asia is not my goal any more.
    eR is (of course) right on this one, referring to his response below. "Rotating" changes everything and can go from an all-day comfortable position to a shit-I-can't-believe-how-terrible-this is, even with the same reach.

But it can be complicated to go from one bike to another, cause even with replicating a position perfectly, there are a bunch of things on the builder's end that'll change how the bike feels. But here's how I look at translating one bike to another. Here's the buildsheet for my Hampco to help illustrate things:

Round 2 by Cody Wms, on Flickr

Reach is usually measured as front of the saddle to bars (let's ignore bar shape, drop, and stuff, too for now, though that can have a big effect). Reach now has two parts related to the bottom bracket, the saddle setback and the remaining reach from the center of the bottom bracket to the bars. Plug these two numbers in, get your saddle height and handlebar drop right and you'll have an idea if it'll work.

I know with me, what you see with the Hampco is juuuust right. It's not uncommon for me to find a bike with 2 degrees more in seat tube and a cm or 1.5 cm in top tube. Now, if I actually fit myself to a bike that had both of these (~2cm of reach virtually added from the increased seat tube, and 1.5 in the actual top tube) I'd end up with an 85-90cm stem, which I feel is too short.

Hope this helps.