Thread: SS Rigid 29er as first (and only) MTB

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default SS Rigid 29er as first (and only) MTB

Hi All,
    Long time lurker here. So I've ridden only road for the last several years. I got the itch to try MTB. I'm in line to get a new Black Sheep. Here is my quandary.

I've observed that people that ride MTB a lot end up riding SS and rigid. Perhaps this is an over-generalization. In any case, I was thinking of cutting to the chase and starting out with a rigid SS 29er. I was going to go with one of James's truss forks built for some compliance with Racing Ralphs.

Is this misguided or am I gonna get to this conclusion anyway? I know a lot depends on terrain, but I won't be riding anything too crazy.

Your insight is appreciated!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: SS Rigid 29er as first (and only) MTB

I would argue against fully rigid as your first and only. As an owner of an FS bike and a rigid 29er. I can't wait to buy a front shock for my rigid ride. Yeah it's a neat novelty, but I enjoy suspension on trails a lot more. I borrowed a 29er with a front shock to see the difference. It was so much more fun.

Go with your SS 29er, but with a Fox front fork.

-Joe

My ride, waiting for a shock...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IMO, rigid is a great way to start. Suspension is great, but in many way it's like giving a math student a calculator. You'll be a better rider in the long run if you start rigid, and you'll get better everything else saving the money on suspension.

Single speed, I'm not so sure. It depends greatly on your terrain and your riding group, If all the guys you ride with ride SS then maybe you'll have a better experience in your group. Riding SS is a very different pacing style than riding with gears, and being the only SSer in a group of geared riders kinda blows. You have to hit the climbs differently, and you're either holding people up or running up on their ass. You'll also learn weight distribution and body english differently, as you're out of the saddle much more on a SS and that changes the way you bike handle.

My recommendation would be this: Get your bike with SS dropouts that have a derailleur hangar, and cable stops. I've built a few that way, and keeping a spare rear wheel, derailleur and shifter makes it easy to install a 1x9 drivetrain in about 15 minutes. You could also do a Rolhoff or Alfine 11 internal hub, and eliminate the derailleur. Let us know what you do, and most importantly, post pics!
    Eric Doswell, aka Edoz
    Summoner of Crickets
    http://edozbicycles.wordpress.com/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/edozbicycles/
    In Before the Lock

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Think about where you're riding too. If you're planning to do lots of doubletrack, fireroads, etc, then rigid might be the way to go. If you were starting out riding the kind of single track we have here which tends to be rooty and rocky, then a rigid setup might kill you, especially if you're not a good bike handler and/or are an old fart.

What about borrowing a couple of bikes to try? Seems like a small pain in the ass but will make your investment in a custom mtb more likely to pay off. If nothing else, it may give you some data points on mtb fit or handling that could help your builder.

Agree 100% with getting a derailleur capable bike that you can SS too. Save the specific setup for 3 years from now when you have 3 MTBs in the garage... ; )

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what ever you get it will be fun
    enjoy
    cheers
    i run rigid f.and f. s.s.
    I love bike racing

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whoa. A Black Sheep as your first mtb.

Firstly: get some experience, figure it out.
    Secondly: ride the bike before you buy it. These ruminant animals don't ride like the non-ruminants, particularly with that fork.
    "Old and standing in the way of progress"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

here is jack b's black sheep
    cheers
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I love bike racing

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Front suspended and geared would be the common sense approach IMO. You can always just lock the fork out and not shift gears if you wanna give it a try; but you're front suspended, geared hardtail is your bread and butter mountain bike.

The minimalist schtick (fully rigid, single speed, etc) is for diehards and kooks. Cool kooks, but kooks.
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if you like yourself, buy some suspension. if you have self hatred, go with a rigid bike

even a 10 year old jekyll would be more fun that any bike with no suspension

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chasea View Post

The minimalist schtick (fully rigid, single speed, etc) is for diehards and kooks. Cool kooks, but kooks.
    Kook here.

Singlespeed is a very steep learning curve- I had to learn to ride again....after having ridden mountain bikes seriously for 16 years prior.

To then add rigid to the mix is more punishment.

There is something to rigid SS 29er (not rigid 26er- that just sucks ATMO)- but I am not sure it would be the place to start out your relationship to the fat tire. If you still have that interest down the road- jump on it.

Just get the Black Sheep with sliders- that way you can make the switch to the dark side.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have all 3 in 29 (rigid SS; HT geared and geared FS). the geared FS is the most fun to ride and doesn't hurt my spine as bad. Really do not like the rigid SS. Always in the wrong gear and slipping out on wet roots. That's why I admire the good SS racers much. I'll suck up the extra pounds and forget about it

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SS will make you a better rider. Learning to hold speed through turns etc... Rigid 29 is a steep but short learning curve. If you're easily discouraged don't do it, if you've got that 'you'll pry it from my cold dead hands' mind set by all means do it. I've got a couple of friends that run SS29 in the hundies, me I like the gears in those races and like to play on the SS.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do it. You won't be sorry. Get a suspension fork if you do some racin' maybe.
    The qualities you are looking for in a leader include: Does the individual have the respect of the men? How do you get the respect of the men? By living with them, being a part of it, being able to understand what they are going through and not to separate yourself from them. You have to know your men. You have to gain their confidence. And the way to gain the confidence of anybody, whether itís in war or civilian life or whatever, you must be honest. Be honest, be fair and be consistent. You canít be honest and fair one day, and the next give your people the short end of the stick. Once you can achieve that, you will be a leader.

Dick Winters

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

An expert MTB rider can ride a rigid SS just about anywhere.

A beginner MTB rider may not be able to ride a rigid SS at all (when first getting started).

Tell us where you are going to be riding...and be honest with yourself about your skill level.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am old, I am no longer fast, I don't like suffering, and I own a bunch of bikes. Bar none I like to time trial fixed gear, race cross SS, and hump the SS mtb around more than any of my geared brothers and sisters in the fleet. Something about the SS that brings out the fun. Yea, ya push a lot more, rigid forks beat the hell out of you, and sometimes gearies drop your sorry arse right off the chart. But I still keep coming back.

I just don't know what to tell you. The Black Sheep is an expensive decision early in the game. I hate bikes with empty cable guides and hangers for stuff that ain't there, to me that just looks wrong. In theory that bike might be your friend for life, so I don't have a problem with a rigid 29er SS as your first mtb. I have pretty much thrown away forks, shocks and all kinds of stuff on my suspended bikes, but the old rigid ones just hang in there and wait to get abused. The good news is you are getting to embrace a new world in riding on whatever mtb you pick. Let us know how it goes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'll echo others here
    geared 29er/650b hardtail with ~120 front sus
    if only one..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Argh. Dudes, the OP is calling it a rigid but w/the BS fork it most certainly is not: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_7_91IQIF4-...M/s400/BS3.jpg

And that can't be Brunk's because there's no Pole of Revolving Inventory.
    "Old and standing in the way of progress"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by funcrusher View Post
    Hi All,
    Hi, my name is funcrusher, I'm from Fort Collins CO and have too much money. I'm buying a black sheep beacuse I drink at Road 34 and in Laporte at the Swing Station sometimes and see James and crew living the "lifestlye." I'm jealouse and want to buy into it. I'm in line to get a new Black Sheep.
    Quote Originally Posted by jitahs View Post
    Whoa. A Black Sheep as your first mtb.

Firstly: get some experience, figure it out.
    Secondly: ride the bike before you buy it. These ruminant animals don't ride like the non-ruminants, particularly with that fork.
    Yeah dud, buy a used single speed 29er and go for some rides before droping that much money on a bike you are 100% CLUELESS about.

Did you buy a custom roadbike for your first road whip? How much has you bike set up evolved over the past few years? I know my shit changed a shit ton over the first few years I rode/figured things out and ther is no way in hell I would want the same bike I started on. Start cheap.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Am I the only one that thinks it's crazy to drop that kind of coin just to try something out? He doesn't even know what he wants/likes/needs yet.....
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

People rode rigid for years just fine. Riding a rigid fork will make you a better rider, period. You can use large tires and get a surprising amount of cushion from them and you can always add a fork later.

Edoz is spot on about the dropouts. If you live in a pretty flat area or don't mind humping up long fire roads without shifting then go for it. I finally went with a single speed because I was tired of breaking parts, I think many wind up going single speed for the same reason.

Regardless don't over think this, buy the bike and have a blast. As always, talk to your builder.
    There is water at the bottom of the ocean.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast