Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sram Rival eTap Now Available

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Sram Rival eTap Now Available

The thing is it cost the price of an high end mechanical group while weighting more than a 250€ claris triple without offering more range.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    1x13 mechanical groupset
    Wait, wut?!?!

Damn, I am so out of the loop...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was interested to see the CT review discuss the speed of rear shifting compared to Force and Red. And that the 1x version is quicker to shift since it’s programmed not to wait for a front shift command that will never come. I understand needing to set a pretty wide window of what constitutes a double lever throw to instantiate a front shift, but in practice - caveat that my only experience is Force eTap AXS - I found the rear shifting painfully slow compared to significantly less expensive, but still top end mechanical groups.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The thing is it cost the price of an high end mechanical group while weighting more than a 250€ claris triple without offering more range.
    Yep! I'd rather buy another Campagnolo Chorus groupset for the price of an upgrade kit of this stuff...
    Riding has to be fun, and part of the fun has to be that you’re not worried about having too much technology on your bike. - Tom Ritchey

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Additionally I can see how wireless eTap would be a potential savings on the OEM assembly lines. No cables or housing to cut , prep, install. And no tension and derailleursto tune by hand. Just set the limit screws and pair the shifters to the changers. If that takes even 20 minutes of labor out of the factory’s margin, that’s a lot to a big volume OEM.

I don’t want this, but I do dream of a wireless setup for my S&S coupled bike. No cable splitters or derailleurs to retune in hotel rooms is tempting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I bought AXS for my S&S bike but haven't been able to travel with it. My bike fits in the case weird so I also got hydro brake couplers. In theory I can pack the bike pretty quickly and safely. Maybe I'll find out some day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is a good decision for SRAM: Rival axs is the groupset for people Who don’t buy Gruppos.

It’s got the all tech that appeals to affluent Newcomers at the lower end of the road bike price range. And if it’s anything like rival 11 it will deliver great value if you look past the weight. It’s gonna be great for the big manufacturers.

It’s not for grouchy people like me who PretendS to be a bike racer with very particular ways.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what will be the counter offering from Shimano? wireless 105?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eddief View Post
    what will be the counter offering from Shimano? wireless 105?
    Or how about just normal 105?

Besides making bikes more expensive and shifting through a mud filled cassette better, this electric crap just makes bikes more complicated with no tangible benefits.

Honestly, shame on everyone with disposable income that has been buying electric drivetrains just to “have it”. You’ve opened the doors to all this nonsense with your compliance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[QUOTE=suspectdevice;1046309

Honestly, shame on everyone with disposable income that has been buying electric drivetrains just to “have it”. You’ve opened the doors to all this nonsense with your compliance.[/QUOTE]

There is a legit reason for e-shifting, to preserve the rapidly declining
    sanity reserves of bike mechanics trying stuff hidden cables thru horrible
    aero & tribikes, chock fully of grotty plastic guide gubbins covered in dried
    Perpetuem.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by suspectdevice View Post

Besides making bikes more expensive and shifting through a mud filled cassette better, this electric crap just makes bikes more complicated with no tangible benefits.

Honestly, shame on everyone with disposable income that has been buying electric drivetrains just to “have it”. You’ve opened the doors to all this nonsense with your compliance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott G. View Post
    There is a legit reason for e-shifting, to preserve the rapidly declining
    sanity reserves of bike mechanics trying stuff hidden cables thru horrible
    aero & tribikes, chock fully of grotty plastic guide gubbins covered in dried
    Perpetuem.
    You may both be right, you know...
    Steve Hampsten
    www.hampsten.blogspot.com
    "Tighten the wingnuts!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I feel no shame. It works better. That said, I think the industry and SRAM might have jumped the shark with AXS 12 speed hydro disc. I look at my 11sp eTap rim brake bike in comparison: simpler, lighter in weight, more aero, far less expensive. I wonder how the price of pristine used eTap 11sp compares to new Force or Rival 12sp.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My non-mechanical friends are the biggest beneficiaries of electric shifting and hydro brakes: Their bikes work ALL THE TIME rather than quickly descending into a state of malfunction.

More complicated? Have you honestly ever installed an AXS groupset? It's way, way, way easier than installing and tuning a mechanical drivetrain.

The hate against electric drivetrains seems to be akin to hating on fuel injected cars because you enjoy tuning your own carburettor. Personally I just want my car to start on a cold morning.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tristan View Post
    My non-mechanical friends are the biggest beneficiaries of electric shifting and hydro brakes: Their bikes work ALL THE TIME rather than quickly descending into a state of malfunction.

More complicated? Have you honestly ever installed an AXS groupset? It's way, way, way easier than installing and tuning a mechanical drivetrain.

The hate against electric drivetrains seems to be akin to hating on fuel injected cars because you enjoy tuning your own carburettor. Personally I just want my car to start on a cold morning.
    So are electric cars to gas autos what eTap is to mechanical? Asking for a friend.
    Steve Hampsten
    www.hampsten.blogspot.com
    "Tighten the wingnuts!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hampco View Post
    So are electric cars to gas autos what eTap is to mechanical? Asking for a friend.
    Absolutely! Progress happens...sure there will be some nostalgia for the old but when looked at objectively the new is almost always better in every way. There are arguments at every small iteration but when looked at over a wider time period those small changes add up to significant improvement.

Compare a DuraAce 9120 Di2 drivetrain to 7400: lighter, wider range of gears, more durable, less maintenance, and faster shifts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tristan View Post
    I don't think that relaying myths help your case. Unless we are talking worldtour pro mileage it takes years for a cable actuated transmission to stop shifting perfectly. In 5 years of riding my festka, now retired, I only changed the cables once (routine job, mot because it didn't work anymore. My On-one space chicken came with a bar tape I didn't like, told myself I would change it when replacing cables and housing. 2.5 years later my bar tape is in bad shape but the shiftin is still perfect without having to adjust anything.

Electrical systems solve some problems, mostly related to aero frames and wanting to make housing disappear. Reliability is not the one they solve and any non cpetemt mechanic will still have to bring his bike to a shop to change his brake pads / bar tape / tires / chain omce every other year anyway.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For me the nicest thing about electric shifting is that the levers don’t need to house the mechanical shifter stuff AND the hydraulic stuff, keeping the size under control.

My GRX Di2 shifters are a nice size and shape instead of being awkwardly large.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unless we are talking worldtour pro mileage it takes years for a cable actuated transmission to stop shifting perfectly.
    "Years"?!?! LOL! Give me two weeks, I can apparently kill any mechanical shifting system in 300 miles or less.

But I suspect we may have very different interpretations of what the word "perfectly" means in this context.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1) Lucky for me the part of my thumb I cut of didn't affect my shifting because if it did I would have bought that GX Eagle the day it came out. I'm sticking with NX for now.

2) My friend can't keep anything on his bikes working properly. If he still had his high paying job I would push him to wireless just to see how it stood up to his abuse. It would have been a good torture test.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
    "Years"?!?! LOL! Give me two weeks, I can apparently kill any mechanical shifting system in 300 miles or less.

But I suspect we may have very different interpretations of what the word "perfectly" means in this context.
    If you’re being serious you’re doing something wrong.

My current Dura Ace equipped bikes haven’t needed adjustments in years. Maybe a 1/16th of a turn here and there. My Campagnolo bikes were the same.

Good mechanical stuff sure up properly is not problematic. I’m not a retrogrouch at all on this but as an owner of electronic shifting and mechanical I don’t see a huge difference either way. Honest.
    La Cheeserie!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast