Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SRAM recalls hydro rim brakes

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default SRAM recalls hydro rim brakes

UPDATED: SRAM expects recall on hydraulic brakes | Bicycle Retailer and Industry News

Allegedly only 500 sets made it to retailers/consumers. Interesting how the release doesn't actually say what is wrong with the brakes though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: SRAM recalls hydro rim brakes

Quote Originally Posted by abbeyQ View Post
    UPDATED: SRAM expects recall on hydraulic brakes | Bicycle Retailer and Industry News

Allegedly only 500 sets made it to retailers/consumers. Interesting how the release doesn't actually say what is wrong with the brakes though.
    The rim and disc brakes are included.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You're right. The BRAIN article didn't specify and had a photo of a rim brake. Assumptions...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can anyone point me to an article(s) that outlines the benefits/reasons, etc.. for a hydraulic caliper brakeset? Really. Not being wise.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nope. Because there isn't one. At least not one that doesn't start with "Once upon a time..."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Modulation and cable routing. Fluid doesn't care how many horrible bends you put into it (read TT bikes). They also claim they have better modulation and better overall power. Those last two seem to be fairly controversial but the couple of pro's I've chatted to that have ridden/raced them have really liked them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I demo'ed a bike with the Red hydraulic rim brakes in the summer. Quoting myself, these were my impressions about modulation. Though thinking back, the rim and pad selection probably has as much or more of an impact on modulation and control.

"Brake modulation was excellent - very, very different than normal calipers. There's quite a range of adjustment possible, and I found the Red Hydros to have essentially 2 "zones". For the first 1/2 of the lever travel towards the bar, I had gentle and gradually increasing amounts of brake - great for scrubbing speed before a corner. If I pulled a little farther, I crossed a threshold into much more progressive braking from enough to stop quickly to full-on-panic-stop territory.

Though more time getting used to them would help me, I wasn't too thrilled with the transition from light braking to hard. The threshold was steep and the brakes' power increased exponentially once I passed it. So much so that I could generate a huge amount of noise and lockup on the Firecrest 404s much sooner than I expected."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

they make perfect sense on something like the Cervelo P5 where you want the brake lines to go through the handlebar and shit, and you've spent thousands on aero already

they make little sense on a road bike IMO

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

they make perfect sense when you are going to incorporate hydra shifting.
    and the rim brakes feel reallllly nice
    "make the break"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm... just saw the S-series models on some bikes at a LBS this weekend. Didn't get to test ride em but when squeezing the lever it does have a light feel to it. One thing looks potentially annoying to me: there was a very slight amount of looseness to the brake lever at rest, I guess cause there's no cable pulling it tight. I'd rather not have the lever clicking and vibrating around over bumps but maybe I'll do a test ride to find out...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by suhacycles View Post
    One thing looks potentially annoying to me: there was a very slight amount of looseness to the brake lever at rest, I guess cause there's no cable pulling it tight. I'd rather not have the lever clicking and vibrating around over bumps but maybe I'll do a test ride to find out...
    Peloton magazine just posted an article on the Shimano hydro discs and had the same thing to say re: play in the lever. But they said it didn't rattle or make any noise on the road
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It can't be worse than old shimano integrated levers.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hate to badmouth SRAM's hydro brakes because I think what they are doing is great. And I think hydro brakes, especially disc brakes, are the future for road bikes. Anyway, it was rumored that Mark Cavendish had a bike outfitted with the new SRAM hydro rim brakes on his Tour de France bike this year and hated it so much that the bike didn't even last one week in the Tour before he cussed out the team mechanics for even putting it on his bikes. After the first day or two of the Tour he had the mechanics remove the hydro brakes and go back with standard cable-actuated SRAM Red brakes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can't say for the other stages but he was definitely on cables brakes in the last stage :

It's probably something that shouldn't be tested during a grand tour but while training in the winter to get the grasp on the different feeling. I would hate having to deal with a peloton of 150 riding at +60kph with brakes I'm not used to.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by acorn View Post
    I hate to badmouth SRAM's hydro brakes because I think what they are doing is great. And I think hydro brakes, especially disc brakes, are the future for road bikes. Anyway, it was rumored that Mark Cavendish had a bike outfitted with the new SRAM hydro rim brakes on his Tour de France bike this year and hated it so much that the bike didn't even last one week in the Tour before he cussed out the team mechanics for even putting it on his bikes. After the first day or two of the Tour he had the mechanics remove the hydro brakes and go back with standard cable-actuated SRAM Red brakes.
    SRAM <snipped>
    Cavendish adopts HydroR – After a test-ride in Glasgow, Scotland, on a RED 10-speed BlackBox version of the
    HRR brakes, just before winning the British National Championship race, Cav decided to race the hydraulic system from the beginning of the Tour. As he makes daily choices on which bike to ride (he has five, two with HRR), we remain encouraged by his continually positive feedback regarding Hydro R, and more specifically HRR. Simply put, he loves the system, from the hood shape, to the improved power and superior modulation.

Martin first to ride Twenty-two Hydro R – After a scheduled July 15 rest day test ride, stage 11 winner Tony Martin insisted on riding his RED 22 HydroR equipped Specialized for the duration of the Tour. Martin was drawn to the additional gearing, as well as the improved braking in a Tour replete with aggressive descents
    "make the break"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chance Legstrong View Post
    SRAM <snipped>
    Cavendish adopts HydroR – After a test-ride in Glasgow, Scotland, on a RED 10-speed BlackBox version of the
    HRR brakes, just before winning the British National Championship race, Cav decided to race the hydraulic system from the beginning of the Tour. As he makes daily choices on which bike to ride (he has five, two with HRR), we remain encouraged by his continually positive feedback regarding Hydro R, and more specifically HRR. Simply put, he loves the system, from the hood shape, to the improved power and superior modulation.

Martin first to ride Twenty-two Hydro R – After a scheduled July 15 rest day test ride, stage 11 winner Tony Martin insisted on riding his RED 22 HydroR equipped Specialized for the duration of the Tour. Martin was drawn to the additional gearing, as well as the improved braking in a Tour replete with aggressive descents
    OK, so that is the PR bullshit. Here is Cav's direct quote:

Cavendish livid after loss, yells about bike inside team bus - VeloNews.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nahtnoj View Post
    OK, so that is the PR bullshit. Here is Cav's direct quote:

Cavendish livid after loss, yells about bike inside team bus - VeloNews.com
    yuup:
    Correction: A SRAM representative tells VeloNews that Mark Cavendish’s Venge was not equipped with SRAM HydroR brakes on Thursday, as this story originally reported.
    "make the break"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking at the picture in the article, he is actually swapping the cable braked bike for the hydro braked brake after the crash. So he crashed with standard brakes and lost the sprint with hydroR. No conclusions can be made about it.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    and lost the sprint with hydroR. No conclusions can be made about it.
    The obvious conclusion is that the HRR brakes work too well. Wont let you go fast even when you want to - that's how good they are!
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry if these questions have been covered but:
    a) Say something busts or leaks on a ride and you head over to a LBS for a repair. Is fixing a system like this going to be easier and cheaper than just buying a new cable?
    b) What about temperature? Same response commuting in the AM at 35 deg versus flying down a mountain road in 90 summer heat?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast