Thread: Spray.bike paint experiences?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Spray.bike paint experiences?

Anybody ever used "spray.bike"? I have a Cinelli Mash Work frame that I was going to get powder coated but it seems like this might a slightly more affordable/fun way of painting it. Plus I do like the paint jobs on squid bikes, and they seem to use this exact paint.

Any reviews/pics?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Spray.bike paint experiences?

The actual paint goes on nicely, much better than normal spray paint, and leaves a pleasant matte finish. It's not really durable, you can scratch it with your fingernail.

Their clear coat goes on like regular splay paint (so if you suck at spraying like me you get runners etc.) and for me it remained very soft, to the extent that a seat pack strap left its weaving pattern in the clear after drying for 3 weeks.

I would recommend it for "fun" paintjobs only, and if you want it to be durable you need to out a good 2k clear on top - which is what I'll do next time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kindagrouchy View Post
    Anybody ever used "spray.bike"? I have a Cinelli Mash Work frame that I was going to get powder coated but it seems like this might a slightly more affordable/fun way of painting it. Plus I do like the paint jobs on squid bikes, and they seem to use this exact paint.

Any reviews/pics?
    In keeping with the response below I would try it but not with a frame I loved. I have been able to get automotive powder coaters to do frames for under a hunge so powder might be just as affordable as several cans of spray.

Post Thanks / Like

Never seen spray.bike but I have seen a few awfully good rattle can jobs resulting from excellent frame prep, good technique and common quality spray cans. Far less than $100.

Post Thanks / Like

Doing a proper rattlecan job has been so time consuming when I've tried it that I will surely never go that route anymore. If you want a simple paintjob with one color and a durable finish I would advise against it. It is simply not worth the time spent. I would go that route again only if I'd wanted a fun paint scheme (think Squid bikes again) done quick and dirty that I know already I would like to start over with a new theme the next year or so.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like

I wrote a post about my experience on my blog: Ride or Pie?!: Spray.Bike: A easy and fun way to rejuvenate your bike
    I'll soon post an update on the issue of durability.

Harald.

Post Thanks / Like

Harald, those paint jobs look great! Bummer 'bout the chipping.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by randonneur View Post
    Harald, those paint jobs look great! Bummer 'bout the chipping.
    Thanks! I'm still really happy with how things have turned out, despite the chips. 4/5, would most likely do again.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ride or Pie?! View Post
    Thanks! I'm still really happy with how things have turned out, despite the chips. 4/5, would most likely do again.
    How long did you let the paint dry for? My understanding is that wet paint (spray included) needs to rest far longer than most would think in order to fully set.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ChristianWong View Post
    How long did you let the paint dry for? My understanding is that wet paint (spray included) needs to rest far longer than most would think in order to fully set.
    Spray.Bike FAQ say 12 hours before rebuilding:
    For best results, don’t be impatient! Although the coating does seem to dry rapidly (touch dry in a few seconds), it’s always best to let the paint completely dry over a 12 hour period before re-building the bike.
    It was much longer than that -- left frame and fork at the shop over night and then probably built it up two or three days later, if I remember correctly.

So I don't think that was the issue.