User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Some things just amaze you ..........

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Some things just amaze you ..........

......and leave you feeling very humble.

The gym I go to is in the "Ice Centre".

At the time of the morning that I go to it one of the rinks is in use for figure skating coaching.

This morning was no different, lots of figure skaters - ranging from probably early teens to early 20's. They are fun to watch, they make it all look so effortless.

One of the things I do in the gym is box jumps - I use what is referred to as the "Large Box" which though I haven't measured it is probably 2 1/2 feet tall.. There is a larger "Large box".

The one thing that all of the boxes have in common is the size of the top - about 14 inches square.

This morning I was toiling on the squat machine and saw in the mirror, a young girl, doing box jumps.

On the larger "Large Box", she was clearly a skater and I was amazed to see the "weight" that she landed on that box - light as can be. You couldn't hear a thing.

It was fun watching her, then .......................

She stepped back a couple of paces from the box, jumped and did a complete 360 degree turn, before landing on the box. Again, light as a feather.

And she did it over and over and over .........................

I was standing there watching that with my mouth hanging open, just amazed. Amazed.

I would have been amazed if she done that and landed a surface the size of the top of my desk. To do and hit that box top - that makes you feel really humble.

The things that "real" athletes go through for their sports.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where do I pick me up one of those?

The girl not the box..... er maybe the box.
    elysian
    Tom Tolhurst

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

she could probably crush your dreams with those legs

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Similar story some yrs. back at the OTC at the Springs watching developing superstars do "humble" workouts. You know greatness when you see it. Life is good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EricKeller View Post
    she could probably crush your dreams with those legs
    and i would be ok with that.
    elysian
    Tom Tolhurst

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Indeed, figure skaters seem to be looked down on when strength and stamina are brought up in conversation. Nothing could be further from the truth.
    A four minute routine can easily be compared to a 30 minute time trial in effort, not to mention the pure strength.
    My wife competed, then coached girls in figure skating for thirty years, often using the techniques described by the OP, and many even more difficult exercise routines.
    After I got my wife into competitive cycling, which she was able to pick up quite easily, she could ride with us big boys on our training rides, often humiliating many of our fast riders with her strength and climbing, not to mention winning many of the races she was in, including state championships.
    The reality in all her cycling accomplishments was that she always considered figure skating more difficult.
    The big regret she has for figure skaters now is that they don't teach young skaters to do figures anymore, which shows in the routines they skate now. Loosing that part of skating was like loosing the pursuit event on the track.
    I look flat here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Every four years or so the International Ballet Championship is hosted in Jackson, MS. My family usually hosts the German or Israeli teams (not at the same time, assholes). The pain and suffering and strength and power and grace of what they do put any other athlete I've ever met to shame. I know where you guys are coming from.

-dk