Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Simple GPS Cycling Computers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Simple GPS Cycling Computers

Hey all - I'm considering purchasing a very basic GPS cycling computer just to cover stuff like speed, avg speed, odometer, trip distance, clock, etc. in real time on my bars (I do keep a phone in my pocket and do track my rides with Strava). The info my Cateye Strada provides is good enough but I'd like to get rid of the fork mounted sensor for aesthetics but I'm not sure that's a good enough reason. I like the idea of the Wahoo RFLKT but it gets terrible reviews (as do most of Wahoo's computers, I think) and the Garmin Edge 20 that also seemed interesting is no longer made. Has anyone here used the Bryton Rider 10, Lezyne Macro, or??? I don't think that I'd want to spend much past $100. Are there any GPS computers in that range or less that are relatively accurate, durable, and non-fussy or am I better off just keeping with the old tech that has worked for me for quite a few years?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Simple GPS Cycling Computers

I have had a good experience with a Lezyne Super GPS. I don't have anything to compare it to and I don't need the map functions but for the $ you have little to lose.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I second the Lezyne. It has all that was best in the Garmin 500, with better accuracy and battery, but in an fugly package, and much better customer service.
    Only complaint (aside from the look), is that the last couple of software updates (either to the GPS or my phone) made the BT connection to the phone, used to upload rides without connecting to a computer, much worse.

YMMV, of course.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My suggestion would be to buy an older Garmin 810 which are still available and greatly discounted. It's a great unit. I used one for years and only gave it up because i wanted a computer that would last more than 9 hours and had an altimeter better shielded from the effects of rain(bought a 1030 last year). 810 does it all and is priced around $200 now -Mike G

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks, guys. At around $200, the Garmin is out - it's more functionality than I need and I'm more or less just looking to lose the sensor on my fork. I'll look into the Lezyne, it's still more than I've ever paid for a bike computer but my birthday is going up and maybe I'll find that I like some of the added features.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DC Rainmaker, as is to be expected, has some good info on the Lezyne line if you'd like some additional input on which to get: Hands-on with the Lezyne Super GPS Bike Computer | DC Rainmaker

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Der_kruscher View Post
    Hey all - I'm considering purchasing a very basic GPS cycling computer just to cover stuff like speed, avg speed, odometer, trip distance, clock, etc. in real time on my bars (I do keep a phone in my pocket and do track my rides with Strava). The info my Cateye Strada provides is good enough but I'd like to get rid of the fork mounted sensor for aesthetics but I'm not sure that's a good enough reason. I like the idea of the Wahoo RFLKT but it gets terrible reviews (as do most of Wahoo's computers, I think) and the Garmin Edge 20 that also seemed interesting is no longer made. Has anyone here used the Bryton Rider 10, Lezyne Macro, or??? I don't think that I'd want to spend much past $100. Are there any GPS computers in that range or less that are relatively accurate, durable, and non-fussy or am I better off just keeping with the old tech that has worked for me for quite a few years?
    Sigma Sport Sport Pure GPS or Sigma Sport Rox 7.

I bought a Rox 7.0 one year ago with the same requirements. It worked well. I only kept it for 2 months as I lost it or got it stolen I'm not too sure.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I bought a used Garmin Edge 510 on Ebay and it does everything I need it to do, without the navigation technology. It has a breadcrumb trail feature to keep you on track should you upload a course to it, but it can't be relied on too heavily for exact directions. I bought it for about $120 I think?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Check out the Cateye Strada Smart, which will look pretty familiar. It's a dumb head unit/display for your smartphone, which you keep in a jersey pocket.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I bought a used Fitbit Surge for under $50. I wear it every day as a watch and it tracks some other metabolic stuff. The best part is that it has built-in GPS, so you don't have to drain your phone battery while tracking a ride/run/ hike. You just update the connection to your phone via BT and it tallies up your data. You can link your Fitbit to Strava and it automatically logs rides after the data is on your Fitbit account.
    Jonathan - Austin, TX
    A Thorn in Your Sidewall