Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Show Us Your ODO - 2012 Goals and Miles

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Show Us Your ODO - 2012 Goals and Miles

My goal for 2012 is to put in a minimum of 100 miles per week for total of approx. 4800 miles. To get motivated, I installed an odometer on my bike for the first time in 10 years. I started January 2 with 0.00 miles.

Week one: 57.9 miles.

Anyone want to play? What are your goals? Show us your ODO photos or GPS tracks for the year 2012.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Show Us Your ODO - 2012 Goals and Miles

Have you tried Strava? I set mine up, but haven't explored all the ins and outs. I think you can join groups and share and facebooklikestuff. Plus you can keep the computer off the handlebars. Most of us carry a phone in our jersey pocket.
    BTW Billrick, you always start your tape on the tops like that?
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by classtimesailer View Post
    Have you tried Strava? I set mine up, but haven't explored all the ins and outs. I think you can join groups and share and facebooklikestuff. Plus you can keep the computer off the handlebars. Most of us carry a phone in our jersey pocket.
    Jeff
    Anyone else have trouble remembering to start their recording? Even my bike odo will be off because my light interferes with recording all winter. I'd love to know how many miles I ride in a year, but dang, it takes a lot of work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jwb96 View Post
    I'd love to know how many miles I ride in a year, but dang, it takes a lot of work.
    I've come to really appreciate some super-cheap, minimal-function odometers specifically because I've seen all the hoops people with advanced Garmins or Polars et al have to jump through. Start recording? Ef dat, I wanna start riding! So 2 out of my 3 bikes have a Sigma BC906, which cost me something like $15 each. Tracks mileage & time (both per ride & cumulative) and not a whole lot more. I enter each ride's mileage into a calendar spreadsheet at the end of the ride. Badda-boom, badda-bing, done. Last year I rode (::checks spreadsheet:::) 7,558.76 miles.

This year I'm already up to 216.28!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't use an odometer at all, but I do have a goal. My goal is to be such shape that I could go do the Baller's Ride come June, and do it right. Of course that's the last week of the school year, so I don't think I'll ever be able to make it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm up to 159 miles since the first. Goal: not to be such a slow fat fuck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by classtimesailer View Post
    Jeff
    I don't know when I started or who taught me this, but yeah, I start my tape at the tops and then again at the bar ends, meeting at the middle. I apply tape, drop the hoods, and end up with a pretty seamless look.

I've never tried Strava, but I've ridden with GPS a lot and tried Garmin Connect. It never really clicked for me. First, like JWB96, I never seemed to start recoding in time and always to focus on big events, not the daily miles. I wanted to capture pure miles for 2012, so installed the Cateye wireless. Second, V-Salon is my only social outlet for my cycling obsessive compulsive disorder, I mean "hobby." I'm not interested in branching out to Strava. If I posted this stuff to Facebook, my real world friends would think I was insane.

Here on V-Salon, I was looking at the "Help me Drop 20 Pounds" thread and thinking about the value of peer pressure. So why not a "show us your odo, no excuses, suck it up and do your miles" thread? More Fight Club and less Jenny Craig. Set your goals and stick to it, or get ready for some public shame.

Anyway, we'll see if this works. Looking back at my weak opener, I'm revising my goal from "approx. 4,800" and going for a full 5,000 miles in 2012.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

5,000 sounds a lot better than 4,800.

I've not had a computer for 7-8 years. I would have to swap back and forth, but I get a sense based on days per week I commute and # of hours on the weekend.

I'm going to let my bathroom scale do the talking in 2012.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tend to think more about hours on the bike rather than miles...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by billrick View Post
    Anyway, we'll see if this works. Looking back at my weak opener, I'm revising my goal from "approx. 4,800" and going for a full 5,000 miles in 2012.

I'm in for 5K. Shouldn't be hard for me to do if I take the long way home every day. And start getting lost in C'ville.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do the figure-8 thing around the shift levers.

Haven't ridden with my HR watch since September or so. It also tracked distance/speed via a wireless wheel magnet, but I'm loathe to get one for my second bike aside from the HR strap starting to eat batteries for some reason. I have a Google spreadsheet that I should really replace with some quick programming, for all the time I spend on the formulae. Without the HR monitor I figure I know how many calories I'm burning from previous rides.

Totally in agreement about just hitting start on an iPhone app while setting out and forgetting about it.

I'll probably be on for 3,000 miles this year as in 2011, down 30% or so from preceding years.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Only 30 so far this year with thanks to the snow. Heading out tomorrow though for hopefully 50-60.

I am looking to do 8000-9000 with a xc trip from Denver, Co to Burlington, VT and back and quite a few centuries. The perk of VA disability.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I haven't picked a specific number this year, but my goal is to ride my bikes more miles than I drive my car.

- Jack
    Apex, NC

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used a computer all my cycling life then by circumstance I found myself without one for a while. I enjoyed the freedom. I have a Garmin 500 now and I use Strava. IMO Strava is MUCH better than Garmin Connect. Strava have challenges and you can compare times so if you're interested in improving fitness and like view measurables then Strava is pretty good. If I was just riding to ride then I don't think I'd bother with a computer.

Goals: 4 Day MTB stage Race in Poland in June and some road racing starting in March so need to start putting the miles in....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PJC View Post
    ditto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have an odometer but I am continually forgetting to turn it on or even put it on the bike.

I want to be stronger this year. I'm not nor have I ever been a racer. But I like climbing best and used to (when I was 20) climb like a goat. I can't go back in time. Just want to be stronger.

I want to go riding with my wife more often. Fixing her bike was a good first step. She's shifting now and climbing in a way that surprises her. All because I took a moment, listened to her and looked at her bike, then switched her to a compact road set up from a clstrfck of a triple set up.

That's it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    I have an odometer but I am continually forgetting to turn it on or even put it on the bike.

I want to be stronger this year. I'm not nor have I ever been a racer. But I like climbing best and used to (when I was 20) climb like a goat. I can't go back in time. Just want to be stronger.

I want to go riding with my wife more often. Fixing her bike was a good first step. She's shifting now and climbing in a way that surprises her. All because I took a moment, listened to her and looked at her bike, then switched her to a compact road set up from a clstrfck of a triple set up.

That's it.
    My goal is to go over 7500 miles...Ride the roads of the TDF...finally upgrade to a 3...race 35 plus times this year...win a race or two...enjoy it all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My goals are to Ride 6000 miles, come in Not Last in every event. Complete a super randonneur series, (200k, 300k, 400k, 600k) the Adirondack 540 and increase my 24hour race distance to 300miles. For those in the Ultracycling world these are small goals, but DAMN, riding 300 miles in a day isn't easy.
    Dovid@dhoffman.consulting

Fundamentally the marksmen aims at himself.
    -Zen in the Art of Archery

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PJC View Post
    This is the same for me. If I do not tink about miles I think about a destination, as many of my rides are out back loops from my house.

My other goal is that every four hours of riding, I reward myself with a glass of wine.
    life is too short to drink bad wine....

Stuart Levy

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Zin, that is because your mileage totals are in numbers that most folks cannot comprehend. Also, how big is your "glass" of wine?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast