User Tag List

Thread: Shimano Quick links

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Shimano Quick links

I know Shimano warns not to reuse their 11 speed quicklinks but I hear other users say the do reuse them. Can anyone share their experience with reuse? Thanks in Advance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Shimano Quick links

Breaking a chain mid-ride sucks.

Quick links are cheap.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are you swapping chainrings and cassettes on a regular basis ? Well if you do just make up your fucking mind or buy a second bike. You are in velocipedesalon, the home of the people with more money than sense who can afford way too many bikes after all.

Are you removing your chain to clean it ? Stop doing that, it is stupid and only freaks do that. Go see a psy if you need to work on your obsessive cleaning disorder but there are many simple ways to have and maintain a clean chain without having to dismount it from your bike and put it in an ultrasonic machine.

Having said that I have done it a few times without issues mostly because I didn't had one in stock and wanted to ride right away and was later too lazy to replace it with a brand new. But I subscribe to Tristan's idea anyway.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    Are you swapping chainrings and cassettes on a regular basis ? Well if you do just make up your fucking mind or buy a second bike. You are in velocipedesalon, the home of the people with more money than sense who can afford way too many bikes after all.

Are you removing your chain to clean it ? Stop doing that, it is stupid and only freaks do that. Go see a psy if you need to work on your obsessive cleaning disorder but there are many simple ways to have and maintain a clean chain without having to dismount it from your bike and put it in an ultrasonic machine.

Having said that I have done it a few times without issues mostly because I didn't had one in stock and wanted to ride right away and was later too lazy to replace it with a brand new. But I subscribe to Tristan's idea anyway.
    Thanks Thomas. Feel okay? How’s life at home these days? Work going alright? Just checking.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think when a manufacturer says “Don’t reuse” you can take that into consideration when deciding whether or not to do so in a sort of plus-minus way. As in, my chain came apart and all I have to fix it is this used connector - or I can walk 10 miles back home in my road shoes. But if you are regularly removing your chain as part of preventive maintenance, you might keep a good supply of connector links on your workbench just so your maintenance procedures follow best practices top to bottom. Admittedly they may be scarcer now than normal due to Shimano’s persistent supply chain (hah!) issues, so perhaps in the meanwhile extending the life of each connector is okay. But if you remove the chain for cleaning, you might consider switching to a gunk reducing chain lube like VSalon’s favorite brand, NixFrixShun. Follow the directions and after a couple (very minimal) applications, cranking the chain through a rag after applying will be plenty to keep things smooth and shifty. No chain removal necessary.

http://nixfrixshun.com/nixfrixshun-u...cle-chainlube/
    Last edited by j44ke; 06-20-2021 at 11:08 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can use a KMC reusable link

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thomas, you repulse me and attract me at the same time. This is one of the small handful of dialectics that I struggle with. What you wrote above is one of the moments that attracts me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, I had a service issue with a broken defective derailleur. The quick link was open max 3 times. Not swapping cassettes or cleaning the chain. This with Shimano's supply issues were the reason for asking. If my dealer had them in stock I would just replace it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cantrax View Post
    This with Shimano's supply issues were the reason for asking. If my dealer had them in stock I would just replace it.
    I'm guessing that the problem with re-using these quick links is sandwiching dirt into the very precise tolerance area which meet. When I've re-used quick links I make sure they're superduper clean - I'll use our megadollar eco parts clearner (or disc brake cleaner or something similar) with a toothbrush to get rid of all the dirt I can see, then spray them with IPA and wipe with a clean rag. I really get into that filleted area with the clean rag and ensure there are no tiny bits of dirt trapped in there.

I've got no hesitation taking a used quicklink in my emergency kit, but if I've got the choice I'll always replace them - generally that means once every few months if I pull the chain off to give everything a really good clean, or if I'm travelling with the bike and removing the chain to keep things less messy.

I've seen plenty of broken chains from pushing a rivet out and back in, but I've never seen a broken chain from a re-used quicklink but given their low price and high consequence I don't take the chance if I can help it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Thanks Thomas. Feel okay? How’s life at home these days? Work going alright? Just checking.
    Thanks for checking after me. Might not have been obvious enough that only the last sentence had to be taken seriously!
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’ll reuse as long as it takes effort to snap back into place. If that’s gone, toss.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I reused one out of pure ignorance and stupidity through like five chain replacements and only put a new one in after I started wondering what that clicking was. They wear, too.

I am on a reused one right now but only until the postman leaves a package with that, some bar tape and a couple tires.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for checking after me. Might not have been obvious enough that only the last sentence had to be taken seriously!
    Got it. Maybe next time use different color font for the not-serious part? ;-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dashDustin View Post
    I’ll reuse as long as it takes effort to snap back into place. If that’s gone, toss.
    Same here. Shimano's links take a fair bit of compressive force to close. When that diminishes you know it's time for a new one.

Since I started waxing my chains almost two years ago I have been rotating through four chains and five Shimano quick links. No problems so far.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Why not disassemble the derailleur rather than open the chain? Loosen the jockey wheel, remove the idler wheel, slip chain between the cage plates, reassemble, and Bob's your uncle.
    Trod Harland, Physical Educator

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. — James Baldwin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am a chain waxer so I re-use mine every couple weeks. I have been doing it for more than 3 years. Shimano 11, Shimano 12, and SRAM 12 speed chains. Have yet to have a link failure or buggered up link.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wipperman also make a reusable link for 11 speed that's easier to insert & remove. Its a bit pricey but addresses all the points in post#3!